• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I'm quite sure that the policy was reversed within days, after some legislators contacted teh DOD about reducing funding.

Marshall74

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Michigan
    Thank you. I was at a couple of different stores yesterday and the first place said that all ammo manufactureers were running at full capacity, but when the shipment came in, only recived 2 boxes. 100 rounds. That doesnt sound like a full capacity to me. And trying to find up to date info on why the real reason other than hording why we are in an ammo shortage is proving to be a bit a pain in the ass. Anyone have any answers, I feel I was caught with my pants around my ankles with the ammo situation.

Marshall74

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Michigan
    Then if thats the case, people hording, tell me why certain stores around here are only getting 2 or 3 boxes of ammo a week? Not cases, boxes, 100-150 rounds.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Ha, sorry. I think I turned your thread into an anti-caps lock one.

Back on topic... Maybe local stores are only getting a few boxes because they are buying from places that also sell to the public and its still getting horded.

Maybe? just a thought.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Recently, I have bought every box of 9mm round I can find. Am I hording it? Absolutely not. I feed it to the dirt hill at the DNR range. I actually have around 500 rounds I keep on hand...anything else I get is used at the range.
    What would you constitute as hording?
    My last 2 purchases were at Walmart and cleaned them out.
    1st time they had 16 boxes of 9mm Blazer Brass 50 rnd that I bought and the 2nd was yesterday that I got 3 boxes of 9mm Winchester 100 rnd.
    Right now I have roughly 1300 rounds of 9mm and most of that will be shot up by next month.
    When I see Walmart is out, I usually always ask the clerk if they have any more in the back, sometimes they say "nope" other times they'll go check.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    My daughters boyfriend works at Wal-Mart, and he was telling me that they stock the shelves at night, and the same guy comes in every morning to buy all of the ammo he can. Said he takes it to gun shows, and sells it for twice or three times what he paid.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    My daughters boyfriend works at Wal-Mart, and he was telling me that they stock the shelves at night, and the same guy comes in every morning to buy all of the ammo he can. Said he takes it to gun shows, and sells it for twice or three times what he paid.

But isn't there a 6-box limit? Why are they letting him clear the shelves?

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008

What walmart is this? I would like to go buy some ammo there and meet this wonderful guy...:bat:

Marshall74

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Michigan
    Ha, sorry. I think I turned your thread into an anti-caps lock one.

Back on topic... Maybe local stores are only getting a few boxes because they are buying from places that also sell to the public and its still getting horded.

Maybe? just a thought.

Yeah that could be, next time i'm there I will ask how many they used to get before all this started.:dunno:

Marshall74

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Michigan
    I did come acrossed this, dont know how true it s, but....
    ASHEVILLE – If you own a gun, you probably have noticed by now that ammunition shelves at local retailers have been pretty bare.

“It is getting hard to find,” said Black Mountain resident Thom Hill, who was target shooting last week with his wife, Priscilla, at the On Target range on Sweeten Creek Road. “Even a mail order place I go through has got us on back order — they said it would be three or four weeks.”

Throughout America, retailers like Wal-Mart and Dick's Sporting Goods have been unable to keep enough ammo on the shelves since last fall. Sellers, gun enthusiasts and manufacturers trace the shortage to two main factors: worries that the bad economy will spiral into social upheaval and lawlessness, and concerns that President Barack Obama will pursue legislative restrictions on guns and ammunition.

Obama's press office said in a statement that he “respects the constitutional rights of Americans to bear arms.” Some gun owners still fear more regulation from the Obama administration.

“If you look at some of his past quotes, he has been in favor of some pretty serious gun control,” said Priscilla Hill, who with her husband was practicing with three handguns, a .38-caliber Smith & Wesson, a 9 mm Glock and a .22-caliber Walther. “If he follows through with it, there would be some pretty serious changes.”

On Target co-owner Dawn Demetris-Stucker said gun and ammo sales have “easily doubled” since Obama's election and the economic collapse. For the first time in 20 years, she said, the store is unable to keep in stock simple handguns like a Smith & Wesson J-frame .38.

Instead of two concealed-carry handgun classes a month, On Target is offering the course each Saturday. And it's at capacity each week, with 30 people.

Demetris-Stucker said On Target owners consider themselves lucky because they have relationships with reloading companies that take their spent brass casings and reload them. That has kept the business with ammo on the shelves, with the exception of the .380-caliber, which is popular in part because the handguns are relatively small and make good concealed-carry weapons.

People who've never owned a gun are buying, and people with guns have bought more guns — and ammo.

“Typically, when people feel they're short on ammo, they would buy one box,” Demetris-Stucker said, adding that a box usually has 50 rounds. “When they feel there's a shortage, like we've seen recently, they want to buy five boxes.”
    It's all demand[/COLOR]

Manufacturers say the shortage is strictly driven by demand and not any shortage of raw materials like gunpowder or brass. The shortage is nationwide and includes rifle and handgun ammo, although it is particularly acute in certain handgun calibers, particularly .380.

Remington Arms' ammunition plant in Arkansas is running around the clock — and that's with 1,000 employees.

“We're working overtime to produce ammo, but right now we cannot meet the demand,” said Linda Powell, spokeswoman for Remington, which is headquartered in Madison, N.C., near Greensboro. “Our only option would be to add more equipment, but that's not an immediate solution because it would probably be a year out before we could add significantly to the amount we're producing now.”

Powell said the company doesn't see demand waning “at least through the end of the year,” but it's reluctant to add equipment or jobs because demand eventually will return to more normal levels, meaning employment levels would have to go back down, too.

At Winchester Ammunition, human resources director Valerie Peters said its main production plant in East Alton, Ill., is committed to meeting demand. But that demand has soared since last fall and shows no signs of abating.

“Our operations are running 24 hours a day, seven days a week,” Peters said of the plant, which employs 1,800 people. “Our team is literally working around the clock.”

She also said the shortage crosses most product lines.
    Obama ‘respects' right to arms

Obama's press office released this statement outlining the president's gun views:

“Millions of hunters and shooters own and use guns each year. The president believes the Second Amendment creates an individual right, and he respects the constitutional rights of Americans to bear arms. His administration is committed to protecting the rights of hunters and other law-abiding Americans to purchase, own, transport and use guns.”

Such assurances haven't stopped Americans from buying guns and ammunition at an astounding pace. Reuters news service reported recently that nationally, background checks for firearm sales through the FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System jumped 24 percent in January and 23.3 percent in February compared with the same months in 2008.

Rachel Parsons, a spokeswoman for the National Rifle Association in Washington, said the group has received calls from across the country from gun owners and retailers who can't find enough ammo. The NRA estimates the United States has about 80 million gun owners, and many of them simply don't trust Obama, Parsons said.

“During the campaign he promised hunters that he wouldn't take their guns away,” Parsons said. “He said that over and over, but the truth of the matter is President Obama doesn't understand the Second Amendment and he's called gun owners ‘bitter.' He doesn't understand the passion people hold for their freedoms in this country.”

Parsons said some gun dealers have told the NRA of monthslong delays for certain models.

Powell, the Remington spokeswoman, said the company has gotten so many orders for the .223-caliber AR-15, it could take “as much as two years” to fulfill the orders.
    An expensive hobby

Stocking up on the ammo for all those guns isn't cheap. At some local retailers, a box of 50 new .38-special bullets costs about $15.

A box of 100 rounds of 9 mm ammo was $24. A box of 100 rounds of .223-caliber rifle ammunition for guns like the AR-15, the civilian, semiautomatic version of the M-16, costs $18.

“I think people are going to have to run out of money soon,” Matt Jones, store manager at Rex's Guns n' Ammo in Hendersonville, said with a laugh. “Back in the '90s when Clinton was in office, it went up, but nothing like this.”

Like On Target, Rex's gun and ammunition sales have skyrocketed, as have reloading supplies for those who load their own ammo. They've been able to keep ammo in stock because of a reloading relationship, but the demand for all gun supplies is just hard to keep up with.

“I just sold 29,000 primers to a guy the other day,” Jones said. The Obama factor, the economy and a sense that crime has increased are driving the surge, he noted.
    ‘A ton of fun'

But Thom Hill notes that demand was up even before the election.

“It's gotten a lot more intense after November, but people don't realize it was getting short before,” said Hill, who participates in a shooting club.

“It's a social thing — people wouldn't think that, but it is,” Priscilla Hill said.

“It's a ton of fun,” her husband chipped in.

Jeff Stucker, co-owner of On Target, said his business is big on educating customers about gun safety and responsible gun ownership.

The rumors about increased taxes on ammunition and some sort of bullet identification, he said, are just that: rumors.

But he acknowledges that sales show no signs of decreasing, and in this economy, he's grateful for that. Whether it's enthusiasm for shooting or paranoia about the future, sales are booming.

“There are a lot of people coming in interested in guns and learning about guns,” he said. “It is a good byproduct of this economy.”

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    This thread is still strong and should be. It relates to a subject that affects us all. Ammo Shortage. For one reason or another, retail stores cannot seem to keep ammo stocked. I was told it was because the manufacturers are only supplying military demand right now. I only believe none of what I hear and half of what I read. I think people are Hording it like was said earlier. I'm sorry, but buying up 16 boxes of ammo every time its there is not something that is normal at least for me. That would be quite an expensive hobby to shoot that much all the time. I'm not saying it doesnt happen, just that most people don't. Everyone's different but I think the majority of folks out there are hording.

Buying 16 boxes at one time was merely replenishing my 500 round stockpile and then provided 1 day's range visit.

I think some are hording it, others are buying it and then trying to jack fellow enthusiast to make a quick buck. That part I think is a crock of poop. If you want to make a profit, become a dealer and buy your ammo from a distributor and leave the retail ammo for retail customers. How many of you characters that are buying retail and then reselling for profit are charging, collecting and reporting your retail sales tax?:bat:

No, actually this thread is about the DoD's effort to do away with public sale of fired brass, which was reversed due to the work of some of Utah's representatives (or Senators) and thus a moot point. There are plenty of ammo hording, short supply of ammo threads, but I guess that really doesn't matter as everyone wants to bitch about paying too much or not being able to buy ammo, primers, etc...

Oh well, I give. Guess I'll feel free to interject with random, unrelated topics in threads now.
    :ingo:

I wouldn't say people are bitching...simply voicing their frustrations with trying to find ammo.
    I get frustrated when I can't find ammo and get excited when I do find it. I would think these are normal reactions to the current situation.:twocents:

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wolfman

But isn't there a 6-box limit? Why are they letting him clear the shelves?

I was told he started doing it back in March, way before the 6 box limit signs appeared.

ruger7722

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    indy
    i bought the fed. champion,girl ask if these were for rifle or pistol.i said rifle,she said i might get in trouble but oh well.we are not dealing w/ top of the food chain here.i only buy twenty two and have never sold one round.

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    Powell, the Remington spokeswoman, said the company has gotten so many orders for the .223-caliber AR-15, it could take “as much as two years” to fulfill the orders.
    An expensive hobby

Stocking up on the ammo for all those guns isn't cheap. At some local retailers, a box of 50 new .38-special bullets costs about $15.

A box of 100 rounds of 9 mm ammo was $24. A box of 100 rounds of .223-caliber rifle ammunition for guns like the AR-15, the civilian, semiautomatic version of the M-16, costs $18.

Where can I find 100 round boxes for $18.00?:dunno:

Marshall74

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Michigan
    :yesway::yesway:
    Buying 16 boxes at one time was merely replenishing my 500 round stockpile and then provided 1 day's range visit.

I think some are hording it, others are buying it and then trying to jack fellow enthusiast to make a quick buck. That part I think is a crock of poop. If you want to make a profit, become a dealer and buy your ammo from a distributor and leave the retail ammo for retail customers. How many of you characters that are buying retail and then reselling for profit are charging, collecting and reporting your retail sales tax?:bat:

I wouldn't say people are bitching...simply voicing their frustrations with trying to find ammo.
    I get frustrated when I can't find ammo and get excited when I do find it. I would think these are normal reactions to the current situation.:twocents:

:yesway::yesway::yesway::yesway:
    Not only am I frustrated I'm a bit worried becasue you never know what the future hold. If this ammo shortage is just temporary lasting only a few months, or if it will last a lot longer. Nobody knows for sure.

Top Bottom