• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Very lucky and glad you are okay, it sounds as if you're learning from it though (not likely to repeat and not locked up in fear after the adrenaline settled) and that's important (after the escaping without injury).

I must ask though was there a rush to re-holster?

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    this is why i enjoy surfing ingo so much. we can all learn from other people's incidents. thanks for manning up and posting what happened and not being too embarrased. Kudos to you and glad you don't have a limp.

Agreed!!
    Im glad you and the rest of the folks there are ok and you have identified the situations that led to the ND.

Did I ever tell INGO about the ND I had with this bad boy, Lets say I will NEVER rest my finger on the side of any trigger unless im ready to fire, especially with a firearm with a 1.5oz trigger pull:rolleyes:
    1827-Fortner-big.JPG

Last edited:

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Clay,

First of all damn glad you're OK and repped for having the courage and integrity to post your negative experience.

In the Aviation world we call these lessons "Written in blood" (fortunately "near blood" in your case), they are the hardest earned and the most valuable. Thay come from all experience levels and are valued above all other "lessons". Too often folks are ashamed or scared to relate these experiences, a loss for all because of their value!

Again thanks for being upfront and I hope that all here are wise enough to profit from your telling the tale.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Don't be too hard on yourself.. No one was hurt and you learned a valuable lesson. No reason to hang your head in shame. The guy that thinks this can't happen to him is a much greater danger at this point that you will probably be for the rest of your life. Just my .02

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I must ask though was there a rush to re-holster?

the rush to reholster was solely my fault. Another thing I was doing that I didn't need to be. I started off behind due to the slide being locked back and I guess I was trying to play catch-up with the rest of the line.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Thanks to everyone for the kind words! They mean a lot and make me feel slightly better about the situation.

One thing I don't want anyone to do is run out and change how they do something just because of my screw-up. This wasn't an issue with any equipment, or how its attached to my body. Sure, carrying in a different style, a different type of holster, or holster position could have resulted in a completely different outcome, but the key here is if I would have kept my finger out of the trigger guard, then I wouldn't have even had to start this thread. No amount of gear changing or reconfiguration will change that.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    This. /\

It's a far cry from an accident during live fire training then..

"I don't know what happened, I was cleaning my gun and it just went off." :n00b:

If I may channel Kirk for a moment:

"Luckily Cledus was there next to me to stop the bullet from hurting anyone." :D

*I am not making light of the situation, just making fun of those who don't take gun safety seriously, and that certainly doesn't apply to Clay!

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I respect you for coming online and telling your story so that others may learn. Getting back on the line (talk to me goose, talk to me) was brave and respect worthy as well.

Glad that you and those around are all a-ok. What a blessing!

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    the rush to reholster was solely my fault. Another thing I was doing that I didn't need to be. I started off behind due to the slide being locked back and I guess I was trying to play catch-up with the rest of the line.
    Well I can say I know how that race to keep up feels, the first time I shot in competition they had about 5 of us on the line and we were to be loaded then we'd get 10 seconds to shoot at the target and then stop, I do remember mentally racing to catchup to everyone else feeling like I was slow to load and make ready, holsters were never part of that equation but I ended up having to do a reshoot on one string because I in my rush my grip went south and I thumbed the slide stop lever up and locked the slide back after the first 5 rounds, and being a malfunction they wanted to clear it instead of having me do tap rack bang and back into the match.

Learn from it, buy some new pants and move on, remembering that putting the gun away should never be rushed. There are two types of shooters, those who have had an ND and those who will have an ND, and being the former does not exempt one from doing the latter. All it takes is simple mental distractions.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Clay, glad you're okay! Next trip to Papa's is on me! Keep the pants, they're a good reminder. If it were me, is have to take pictures of more than just the stain from a powder burn. For what its worth, I'd still go shooting with you.

Take care buddy, and thanks for sharing.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Clay, glad you're okay! Next trip to Papa's is on me! Keep the pants, they're a good reminder. If it were me, is have to take pictures of more than just the stain from a powder burn. For what its worth, I'd still go shooting with you.

Take care buddy, and thanks for sharing.

:+1:

I was there... I've been shooting with you before, and I'd still go shooting with you again. No respect loss at all. I know you won't let it happen ever again.

And I hear theweakerbrother is buying :D

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I was standing at Clay's left side. And it scared the crap outta me when it happened.

After the accident, I was scared to death everytime I holstered my gun, since I was fighting my coat and cover garment.

I'm seriously rethinking how I dress and carry now.

Clay, the next time you are trying to take out LM, make sure he's on your RIGHT side. :D

GTM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Bloomington +/- 20 miles
    I wasn't in class with you last night, but I've taken classes with you and ACT before. I'd still be comfortable on the range with you. It takes courage to admit what happened and it provides a lesson for us all.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    You are extremely blessed. A couple years ago while enroute to our son's home in Gilbert AZ we were passed by an ambulance going to Rio Salado range above Phoenix. The next day we found out a deputy sheriff had done exactly the thing you did only the round went into his thigh and out his calf, taking powder, dirt, clothing fabric and hot gas into his wound.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Clay,

I didn't really get a chance to talk to you last night, even though it was the first time we met.

I'm glad you ended up ok. And I was thinking. I found I need a lot of practice shooting one-handed. If you ever want to meet up and practice, let me know.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Clay, I'm glad to hear everything worked out and this was able to be used as a learning experience. As several others have said I've taken classes with you before and I wouldn't hesitate to do so again. We all have brain farts, it happens, we learn from then, and train on.

junglerogue

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    SAV, ELP, DFW, SBN,
    Wow...I had something similar happen last week. We were shooting at a 1/2" piece of I-beam that was 25 yards away, and I got hit with spall or ricochet. I was never able to find the piece that hit me right above the knee, but I had a nice dime size welt for about a week. Glad you're ok, and at least it was just a humility lesson.:D

Top Bottom