• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    I would say that "Gran Torino" would fall into the parameters of my question.( I'd forgotten about that one. Good movie) Though not sure if the old fart was legal to carry.( not sure what the laws are in California). Julia Roberts I thought was on verge of an opportunity to end a bad situation . "Red Dawn ",I felt was a military action. (Though I'd be right there with them!) Charles Bronson was totally vigilante from the sock of quarters on. The others I've only seen parts of so can't comment fully. Most of these kinds of movies I have to admit , I see on TV anymore . My wife likes the mushy stuff so something like "Pulp Fiction" definitely would have been out. My loss I guess.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Used to happen all the time in westerns. Grew Up watching The Rifleman with Chuck Connors - defended himself and his son often with that modified Winchester '73.

Lucas McCain, Carried a Lever action trifle because carrying a hand gun was for killin' people. He didn't like killing people, but, he managed to kill someone nearly every week for years running. Now he has upped it yo two to four times a day depending on which channels you get. Admittedly some were ad a deputy Marshall. All were in self defense.

PTSD?

I love Gran Torino. Michigan law allows open constitutional carry, concealed carry with a permit. I'm not sure of Walt's status.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    And if I remember correctly, the woman in Resivor Dogs was shot anyways. It does seem that if an ordinary citizen is seen carrying a gun in a movie, they are either a criminal, or extremely inept, deranged, or mentally questionable. Im sure that there are movies out there, but they are few and far between (and growing even fewer and further in recent years)

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    And if I remember correctly, the woman in Resivor Dogs was shot anyways. It does seem that if an ordinary citizen is seen carrying a gun in a movie, they are either a criminal, or extremely inept, deranged, or mentally questionable. Im sure that there are movies out there, but they are few and far between (and growing even fewer and further in recent years)

Yeah, she was. Looking at it in it's entirety...

An undercover cop tries to carjack a citizen. The citizen shoots the undercover cop in defense, in the stomach (eventually leading to his death). The cop gets angry and kills the citizen.

It's an odd turn of events, but definitely a citizen using a firearm in a self-defense situation.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    The Purge comes to mind. Ethan Hawke shot his daughter's boyfriend when he pulled on him. The whole family defended themselves with firearms throughout the movie. The premise is goofy but I would say it qualifies as good guys with guns defending themselves.

Last edited:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Punisher? Father and son defending their entire family against the mob until gunned down...but of course the Punisher Frank Castle lives!

This is true, but he was a police/DEA agent? OP was about firearm use by NON-LEO/MIL and living

Maybe Harrison Ford in Patriot Games (although he is a CIA analyst)
    Movie: Fire with Fire -- a fireman uses a gun, but it's in an awkward assualt/retreat mixing offense and defense...
    Movie: Tremors :)
    Movie: The Brave One -- here again, maybe it's more offensive than self-defense
    Movie: Collateral -- Jamie Foxx has shootout on the train with Vincent, I see it as self-defense, although arguably it's vigilante-style

I'll have to think a bit here...

Last edited:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I remember about 18 or 20 years ago there was a tv movie (based on real events, I think) where a 12 or 13 yr old boy used a lever action .22 when 2 burglars broke into his house. I think one of the burglars died, and the other was injured.

I think that fits the OP requirements.

I remember the scene with the mother cleaning up blood stains days after the event. Strange what details stick around in your mind, huh?

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Not to hijack this thread, but I've never seen a sailing movie that didn't turn into a disaster movie. Except for maybe "WIND."

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I can not remember the name of the movie, but one about a bunch of black farmers defending a black man against murder charges..
    I a scene when the klan comes up to storm the house they are met by 10 guys with hot guns..

NoAdmiration

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    IN the last season on "Justified," an elderly woman uses a double barreled shot gun to chase of an antagonist who it attempting to steal gas from her vehicle. She fires several, more than 2, "blasts," without reloading yet does not hit the fleeing suspect.

To be fair, her intent did seem to be one of warning.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I would say that "Gran Torino" would fall into the parameters of my question.( I'd forgotten about that one. Good movie) Though not sure if the old fart was legal to carry.( not sure what the laws are in California). Julia Roberts I thought was on verge of an opportunity to end a bad situation . "Red Dawn ",I felt was a military action. (Though I'd be right there with them!) Charles Bronson was totally vigilante from the sock of quarters on. The others I've only seen parts of so can't comment fully. Most of these kinds of movies I have to admit , I see on TV anymore . My wife likes the mushy stuff so something like "Pulp Fiction" definitely would have been out. My loss I guess.
    Gan Torino was set in Detroit. He coulda had a CPL

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    IN the last season on "Justified," an elderly woman uses a double barreled shot gun to chase of an antagonist who it attempting to steal gas from her vehicle. She fires several, more than 2, "blasts," without reloading yet does not hit the fleeing suspect.

To be fair, her intent did seem to be one of warning.

Hmmmm. Doublebarreled shotgun, 2 "blasts", warning. Was the character a Biden?

Last edited:

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    Gun use in just about every movie falls into two categories:
    The unrealistically profiecient
    The incredibly inept

The majority of gun owners fall in the middle. I see why they do it, it makes for good action and drama, but it's far from real life.

Top Bottom