I bought a Colt series 80 Mark IV Government, want more info about it.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I bought a Colt series 80 Mark IV government 45 ACP. Looking up the serial number on the Colt web site says it was made in 1986. It appears to be stainless steel and brushed stainless steel and has rubber grips. Is there a way for me to find out more about this particular model? I'm curious if mine is completely stock or what.

Thanks!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I bought a Colt series 80 Mark IV government 45 ACP. Looking up the serial number on the Colt web site says it was made in 1986. It appears to be stainless steel and brushed stainless steel and has rubber grips. Is there a way for me to find out more about this particular model? I'm curious if mine is completely stock or what.

Thanks!

The only way you will know if it has been modified is to look inside or show someone with some knowledge.
    We had 2 mid 80's series 80's and they were pretty fair shooter and both stainless steel.

What exactly are you looking for past what you can see.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Congrats on the new Colt. Like CM says, it might take someone that knows their way around a 1911 to tell if it’s original. Original is not necessarily the best thing with some 1911s. Properly done upgrades can transform a good gun into a great one.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I'm looking for information or even a picture of what was sold by Colt in 1983. Are my grips OEM, is this the finish the gun was made with. I understand the internals may be different and I would need someone who knows to be able to tell me. I did not get a manual with the gun, surprised to see the PDF Colt has looks to be a copy of a copy of a copy of a printed manual. Some of the pages are crooked on the screen. I understand the "Series 80" was made "1983-Present", what does the "Mark IV" designate? Is there more online info about Colt other than Wikipedia and the Colt web site?

Thanks!

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I don't believe you have one.....No pictures......A Colt 1911 is one of my bucket list guns, there have been a couple of officer models for sale here lately....wish I had the money, good luck on finding the info, and SHOW us pictures!!......lol

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I'm looking for information or even a picture of what was sold by Colt in 1983. Are my grips OEM, is this the finish the gun was made with. I understand the internals may be different and I would need someone who knows to be able to tell me. I did not get a manual with the gun, surprised to see the PDF Colt has looks to be a copy of a copy of a copy of a printed manual. Some of the pages are crooked on the screen. I understand the "Series 80" was made "1983-Present", what does the "Mark IV" designate? Is there more online info about Colt other than Wikipedia and the Colt web site?

Thanks!

The answer given by dakota1911 in this thread is the one that makes the most sense to me.

https://www.1911forum.com/threads/definition-of-mk-iv.325114/

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

Thanks!

Post a picture and we could probably tell you right away if it's stock or not (at least externally).

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Looks a lot like a stock Government 1911 built in the 1990's. It is more than likely the "Government 1911A1" with the grips off a different Colt Government. I think the A1 had wood grips not wrap around.

Last edited:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Looks a lot like a stock Government 1911 built in the 1990's. It is more than likely the "Government 1911A1" with the grips off a different Colt Government. I think the A1 had wood grips not wrap around.

It's just a standard Government there was no A1 nomenclature used then. Likely built in the 1980's as they started the enhanced model in 1992. Grips are tricky as I have seen these come with about three different kinds of grips. The one I had came with black wood grips with Colt medallions but some could have come with the pachmayrs. It's easy to find serial number ranges online if the OP wants to date it.

Top Bottom