• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Silly question...I want to upgrade the MPX comp (I know that 9mm is negligible when it comes to recoil and shooting flat from a carbine), but there are limited options in doing so. Anyone upgrade theirs? I've searched and searched and am leaning towards the SLR mini-comp.

The threads are backwards so you'll have to re thread. Since you're planning on cutting it down and adding a suppressor, my opinion is you're wasting money to re thread for a compensator unless you cut it down and use a 5 inch comp (I'm assuming you're keeping the handguard at the current length).

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    The threads are backwards so you'll have to re thread. Since you're planning on cutting it down and adding a suppressor, my opinion is you're wasting money to re thread for a compensator unless you cut it down and use a 5 inch comp (I'm assuming you're keeping the handguard at the current length).

I wasn't planning on having it re-threaded to add a comp. Some manufacturers use the European thread pitch (13.5x1 LH) and all of my other Sigs and HK pistols with threaded barrels are the same. My piston for my TiRant 9 is that thread pitch. Companies like SLR have the option for the 13.5x1, hence why I was leaning towards them.

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    Resurrecting an older thread. Still one of my favorites, and finally got my stamp for the Omega 9K recently. Dedicated can for the MPX and a great travel companion.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    That does look very good. How is the gas in the face when shooting suppressed? I’d heard that are bad on that. I recently picked up a scorpion and shot it for the first time yesterday. Suppressed was fine, I didn’t notice and gas issues.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    That does look very good. How is the gas in the face when shooting suppressed? I’d heard that are bad on that. I recently picked up a scorpion and shot it for the first time yesterday. Suppressed was fine, I didn’t notice and gas issues.

I’ve shot both suppressed and in my experience, the gas issue with the MPX has been greatly exaggerated as a reason to go Scorpion over MPX. The Scorp has zero gassing due to the nature if the action, but the MPX is minimal.

I chose the Scorpion, but it was a cost and appearance decision, the “gasing issue” had zero effect on my decision.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I would be surprised if an MPX had a significant issue with blowback. There isn't that much gas available to do much. I've shot one that was suppressed and didn't notice anything hitting me in the eyes.

By contrast, when I shot a suppressed Sig 556 SBR, I was wishing for a goggles or a face shield. WOW!

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Resurrecting this one!

I've picked up a MPX Carbine and I'm in need of some guidance for the specifics of the plan for it.

1) SBR: The barrel will be shortened and threaded, but how much to shorten it? I like the full length handguard, so 4" seems a bit short. I'd like the barrel to be short enough to tuck a good portion of the suppressor into the guard, but still be able to easily remove the suppressor and not worry about blasting my hand with gasses. I'm thinking somewhere in the 8-12" range, final length will probably be somewhat dependent on the suppressor length, correct?

2) Suppressor: I have very little knowledge on where to go for a 9mm suppressor (I'm still waiting on my 22 to be approved). I currently have no 9mm pistols with a threaded barrel, so swapping it to other platforms isn't a major concern. I've read that some feel a dedicated 9mm can is the best and others like how SBRs do with a 45 can for the extra volume. I'm not opposed to buying a specific can for this rifle, so if there is one that shines better on a PCC that has value to me. For instance, I like the concept of the Amtac Hornet but I don't know if it's actually worth the cost.

Thoughts and guidance are greatly appreciated as I jump into this.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I will say this for going 45 over 9, pistol cans are not a cheap venture and the added utility of the 45 may be worth the inconvenience in weight. I've got around 750 in the can/stamp, then I've got a couple hundred in adapters (for carbines) and pistons (for pistols). I've got a threaded cz75omega I'm really excited to try it out on, but I have a feeling it will basically spend it's life spitting up 230gr 45 caliber fmj's through the sbr pcc.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Resurrecting this one!

I've picked up a MPX Carbine and I'm in need of some guidance for the specifics of the plan for it.

1) SBR: The barrel will be shortened and threaded, but how much to shorten it? I like the full length handguard, so 4" seems a bit short. I'd like the barrel to be short enough to tuck a good portion of the suppressor into the guard, but still be able to easily remove the suppressor and not worry about blasting my hand with gasses. I'm thinking somewhere in the 8-12" range, final length will probably be somewhat dependent on the suppressor length, correct?

2) Suppressor: I have very little knowledge on where to go for a 9mm suppressor (I'm still waiting on my 22 to be approved). I currently have no 9mm pistols with a threaded barrel, so swapping it to other platforms isn't a major concern. I've read that some feel a dedicated 9mm can is the best and others like how SBRs do with a 45 can for the extra volume. I'm not opposed to buying a specific can for this rifle, so if there is one that shines better on a PCC that has value to me. For instance, I like the concept of the Amtac Hornet but I don't know if it's actually worth the cost.

Thoughts and guidance are greatly appreciated as I jump into this.

Here's what I do know. You've shot mine, and liked it, mostly. Mine started life as a pistol with an 8" barrel, the barrel only was cut to 4", and hides about half the can. My can is a AAC Ti-Rant .45. It tucks nicely inside the handguard, but the barrel is to short to shoot without the can with the handguard still on. For USPSA, I pulled my baffle stack and end cap off, and ran the can as a 8" long flaming pig muzzle device.

Here's my questions. How long is your handguard? Do you want to keep it that long? (I'm assuming it's longer than mine. It can be cut down if needed, as I believe Rookie cut his). Ultimately, what do you want to end up with?

If you want to shoot it again, or just compare them for size, get ahold of me, we don't like be that far apart.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    20160602_165922.jpg
    Here you go.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Ggreen - I figured the suppressor would be in the 750 range at the minimum, if it comes in cheaper great. Better to plan for more and spend less.

KJ - Thanks, I’ll send a PM over. Comparing them back to back would be great.

Per Sig, the handguard is 14”. Currently, I like the length of the handguard just for the ability to place my support hand further out.

The SBR aspect is more of requirement due to the want to suppress, since the Carbine isn’t a true 16” barrel. I’m not looking to make it as short as possible, ending up with the barrel + supresssor in the 16-18” range is perfectly fine with me. This is why I was thinking the suppressor choice would impact the barrel length. A longer suppressor would necessitate a shorter barrel to keep the length in check.

Maybe 8-10” is ideal and then something like the Flaming Pig to add length back when the suppressor isn’t on (or while waiting for it)? Keep any blast safely away from hands.

Top Bottom