• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • poweraddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    Greenfield
    I hate to think I made a purchase out of fear, but with all of this talk about imposing another gun ban I decided now is the time to buy an ar. I know this isn't the first time and I'm sure it won't be the last time the 2nd amendment falls into a few politicians crosshairs. I have wanted to buy and ar for a while now, but factors such as money and other priorities have taken precedence (single parent). I'm just now getting to a point in my life to where I can justify to myself spending some money on the hobby.
    I picked up a stripped psa lower from a local gun store today and my thoughts turn towards what would be the most logical purchases to make next with the threat of a ban looming. Should I stock up on magazines, ammo, potentially a second lower, or should I just focus on building this ar out the way I want it before stocking up? Regardless of my plan of action working with a budget it will all take a little time. I'm just interested in what indivduals who are more educated on the matters thoughts might be?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    During the last panic, I remember lower parts kits being scarce, and (I think) bolt carrier groups. Mags went crazy too. I'd get the lower parts kit next. Then maybe the BCG and some mags.

poweraddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    Greenfield
    I know panic will eventually die down. Would the parts be still available if the actual gun is banned? Obviously manufacturers are going to increase prices for the parts if high capacity semi automatics get banned, but would they still be available is my question?

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    One or two (or more) stripped lowers and then 30 rd capacity magazines. Everything else (parts, ammo, upper assemblies) would most likely still be available during a panic or after a ban. Those of us who remember the 1994 AWB saw prices of 30rd magazines skyrocket.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    In early 2013 stripped lowers were going for $250+. That's a pretty good return on investment but you're into each one for appx. $50. For that same price you can buy six or more used USGI magazines. Those were going for $30+. Your ROI is going to be similar but you'll be able to acquire several more mags than you will lowers since your price per unit is lower. Plus you'll be able to sell a few here and there which will make your wheeling and dealing easier. If you're only dealing with one buyer for each lower you'll be stuck making just a few deals. With mags you'll be able to make package deals with several potential buyers.

That said, the industry responded with authority the last couple years. Everyone and their mama has been cranking out ARs and AR-related accessories. The shortage that drove up prices last time will likely not happen this go-round. (There will still be a shortage but it won't be as catastrophic as 2013.) Prices will go up but expect the availability to be much better and the gouges to be weaker.

I wouldn't bank on AR stuff as an investment. You won't lose money but your returns will likely be less than what they were then. I recommend having at least one that you'll never trade/sell/get rid of. Then have a few more as investment stock.

Personally, I'd go LPK, stock kit (thus completing the lower) upper, mags, ammo because you can liquidate those items easiest and you'll also set yourself up for easy trades if needed. I'm guessing you have a shotgun or carry pistol that you could trade for an upper in a pinch and there's always a buddy or friend who has mags and ammo. Much easier to get a few mags and boxes of ammo in a crisis than to track down a whole upper.

mulsas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 14, 2012
    Westfield
    I finished picking up the pieces for my first build a month ago, so I had the luxury of having a little more patience. I actually purchased a barreled upper assembly first, because I was a little picky on what I wanted, since I was building this to be a longer distance practice rifle. Then I just grabbed everything else when something I liked went on sale. Have fun picking up all of the pieces, and enjoy the process. I had a lot of fun building it with my son, and have to admit I was really impressed with the engineering of it all.

Kelvarr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2016
    South Lyon
    I kind of did the same thing. I bought a stripped lower, and just have it sitting around. Due to my budget, I need to buy parts gradually, with the last part probably being a 450 upper.

delphigto

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2016
    Walton
    I bought several lowers last time also. Never did anything with them but doesn't hurt to have them. I have also bought a few guns since then when prices dropped back off.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Build the rifle, then stock up on mags and ammo.

+1 for this. As you said, though, if you buy some ammo and a mag with each part/assembly, you can't really go wrong. Be sure to keep an eye on the INGO classifieds for parts. I've had very good results with it.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Should I stock up on magazines, ammo, potentially a second lower, or should I just focus on building this ar out the way I want it before stocking up?

You should be buying lowers and mags.

Let's use 8 bills for our mid-range hobby gun cost. For $800 you can get:

3 lower receivers and 50 mags.

Put the lowers in the back of the safe. Buy a Rubbermaid tub and stow the mags in there.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    You should be buying lowers and mags.

Let's use 8 bills for our mid-range hobby gun cost. For $800 you can get:

3 lower receivers and 50 mags.

Put the lowers in the back of the safe. Buy a Rubbermaid tub and stow the mags in there.

I would add an occasional BCG to that list. The last panic (after Newtown), you couldn't find a BCG anywhere way into the next summer.

Top Bottom