I can't hit my target--where should my left pinky toe point??!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    these forums are starting to become a waste of time with all the instructor pissing contests...

we always hear good advice, which is too train with various instructors because we can learn different things for each, but some of this just gets ridiculous.

Most of you have probably trained under the top dogs in the country, and have your own unique spin on training, but this back and forth does nothing for guys like me trying to listen to what you have to say.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Go ahead, see how far that gets you. It's been tried before.
    :ugh: Talk about shooting over the target.

My points seem to religiously get misunderstood by everyone who's so much more skilled than I and everyone else on this... pissing match of "instructors" section.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    these forums are starting to become a waste of time with all the instructor pissing contests...

we always hear good advice, which is too train with various instructors because we can learn different things for each, but some of this just gets ridiculous.

Most of you have probably trained under the top dogs in the country, and have your own unique spin on training, but this back and forth does nothing for guys like me trying to listen to what you have to say.

Agreed, but for some it would seem it's more important to prove one's "experience" before they have any valid input to defensive tactics to consider. :rolleyes:Man, if everyone thought like that we'd still be living in the stone age and adolescent boys would be getting "packed" by their uncles to become men like the ancient Greeks. :laugh:

One can only impart knowledge on a subject based on their own experience and training. Does that make them right? NO....Does that make you right? NO..Does that make their point any more or less valid than anyone elses? NO......So then what's the answer? To bash each other's "credibility" until the one and only, overall internet guru has proven his tactical supremecy in the internet kingdom. NO.......to accept other views and inputs from all of these varied experiences, in order to collaborate and discuss, in an effort to provide for the best possible methods and tactics with current information..............now that sounds better...but I'm sorry.....I haven't "proven" myself to be the "grandmaster" of the 2A because I don't wish to teach for financial gain, or have the time/money to enjoy shooting competitions, etc and so EVERYTHING I have to say is null and void :rolleyes:

</rant> Sorry Hickman, excellent post :yesway:

and while I sometimes enjoy this site, it is often otherwise detracting having to sort through all of the arrogant, pissing matches to get to good information on training, news, etc without having to "prove myself" .....what happened to wanting to better ones self? How can you do that if you're to be harrassed about your input, experience, etc every time you turn the corner........to each their own I suppose

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    What if I could prove that I spent 6 years in what used to be referred to as DEV GRU, that I've led PSD and DA ops on 3 continents and have 8 confirmed kills with my 226 alone? Does that make the truth any more truthful? (Bewilderingly, to many of you it would:scratch:)

What if I posted that the only training I've ever received was from my Pantaeo subscription in my Mom's basement while rubbing my ample belly with Dorito-stained hands? Does that make the truth any less truthful? Why?

(Neither of the above is true, by the way).

I would think we all could use critical reasoning and evaluate tactics and techniques on their merit alone, not who is or is not spouting them out. That is part of why poor techniques get passed on unnecessarily long. "Well, we HAVE to do it that way, that's how Mr. World-Class does it!" or "That's what the NRA POI states!"

You guys follow whatever you want, you're certainly entitled to your own opinions.
    There was no need to go through all this. The only thing you had to do was say you are an "Operator" /end of discussion.

tgford58

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Kind of relative information regardless in this industry anyway isn't it? When you can buy patches and crap online, and simply pick up a gun one day pay to take an "instructor certification class" the next day and claim to know whatever you want......there is hardly any true "credibility" in the firearms industry that's anything more than heresay :dunno:

I mean, one can hold a class but that doesn't mean they know anything worth charging for if they teach less knowledgeable persons. No legit way to verify military training either. Not to mention, one can "instruct" all they wish that doesn't mean they "teach" appropriately or have an understanding of learning theory or how to organize professional training, etc. My point being, it's all relative really so not really a form of credibility IMO

Interesting topic but this part hits home. Anyone that we familiar with the late Jeff Cooper can attest to how he felt about people teaching defensive pistol that had not actually had to use the skills. To my view - teaching pistol skills - OK, but caution where it may mean life or death.

To me and God knows Im not the best shooter, both sides are talking about opposite sides of the same coin. When I shot Conventional Pistol, grip meant little - "grip till it shakes then back off" method. A few stovepipes but what the heck. Now I shoot USPSA and getting a firm handle on the pistol means a bunch more.

Good points on both sides but like is often the case - an "agree to disagree" situation.

chefjamescia

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    I think we are losing the point in the minutia of nitpicking. I think the point here is that breaking out a micrometer to determine where your pinkie should be is a level of "Grip Assessment" that over reaches the fundamentals of what we are trying to do. Are there better stances, or better grips that aid in second, third, tenth shot placement, maybe, but if you get a finger blown off, or have to shoot left handed, or have a broken ankle, are you going to toss down your firearm and throw in the towel, or can you adapt? The previous statement about a gun hitting you in the face because you have a limp wrested grip misses the point. There are basics to a grip, but over assessment misses the point, in my opinion. Does everyone who says "fix your grip" drive with their hands at 10 and 2? Probably not.

Top Bottom