• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Ain't that the truth. We were $1000 away from sticker once and they gave us the "No can do" speech.

:):......Was in Louisville Harley 1 Sat.......seen a dude walk out over 300 bux on'a deal.....:):.......he was stubborn's they were....:):

it'll d'pend on model sometimes......IE= bout any Sporty or Dyna?......they'll move some.....but if it a hot sell'n model/big demand model like a FLHX(StreetGlide).....they ain't move'n any.......not even a dollar.....:):
    An' any CVO model?(think COBRA vs GT....)......fuh-get'a 'bout it.....:):

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    No, he is simply doing his job by trying to make the most profit possible. Trust issue is not what I would call it. He may have been a jerk, but that's a different issue. When you get up to leave without buying and he offers a discount, it's just a last chance effort to get you back and close because a smaller profit is better than no profit.

I agree. Negotiating is tough. But if you make it a game, it can be fun. You need to know how much you will pay and how you plan on paying for it. Stick to your guns and be prepared to give something. If you won't budge at all, there is a good likelihood that you won't close a deal.

I just go in with cash

The best way. This way you just drive to that "out the door" price you are willing to pay until they give it to you. Or you walk out.

You're better off knowing the total amount you're prepared to pay, rather than how much you can pay per month and how many years you're willing to be in debt for it. Otherwise, they end up playing these silly games.

The payments per month strategy is where they will confuse and bury the true price you are paying. Take a calculator and demand to see the total amount you will pay based on payments. A lot of people can only afford something by taking out a loan. This is okay, but basing a buying decision on the monthly payment that you can afford is not a good idea. Figure out the total cost of ownership.

Interpon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    The best way to buy from the dealer imo...is to use internet..send what you want to dealers all over and see what you get back...no personal interaction...works for me and most have sales internet people specifically and have the highest sales numbers from what i can tell...of course out the door price..and everything is in writing..
    have not tried costco for a car but will check it out next time, not sure how those deals compare

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I think you are better off going to the bank or credit union and getting your own credit lined up at a certain %. Telling a salesman your monthly payment target is a big no no....they will then work backwards to make a bonus. I hate when dealers add % to what the bank is financing for. I got a couple of friends that are finance guru's at local dealers.......it's amazing how much bonus they make by charging customers higher % then they get it for.

Even the 0% deals are a joke.....because then they take your rebates away, so unless you take 0% and invest that money at 10% ROI, you will still come out about the same as paying 1.9% and taking rebates.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    It's tough getting a good buy on a Harley.. A lot, is dealers thinking its still the 90's and early 2000's when bikes were few and demand was high.. Not so much now.. Production numbers are high and demand has flattened out.. Lightly used bikes are cheap and plentiful and financing is cheap.. I know a few years back I bought a lightly used street glide at Chicago hd for about 2-3k less than anywhere else local .. Bought my road glide when west side was fixin the street glide for wreck damage and I got an ok deal, to get out of a bike that was getting a new frame for the repairs.. Didn't want the street glide back!!!!!! And cash don't mean crap these days.. There's $$$$ to be made by financing!!! Cars and toys , doesn't matter...

wrigleycub

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    West side of Indy
    Whether it's a car, or in my case a motorcycle, you can't trust a dealer period. I went to one of the Harley shops in Indy this morning to make a serious inquiry about a new ride. I sat at the finance guys desk while he broke down the numbers for me, and in the end, his price was a little too high for my liking. I thanked him for his time and started to get up and that's when he said, "What if I knock off the prep and set-up fee?" After hearing that, I kind of got ticked off. It seems to me like they were trying to skin me for an extra grand. I thanked the guy again and told him I would think about it, but I'm hopeful I can find a good deal with a straight forward salesman or finance guy and not have to deal with that dude again.

For the record, I've been to four different Harley shops in the last two months, and the level of customer service I've had in each one has been below average to awful. In fact, I've been treated better taking my Grandmother to shop at the Fashion Bug than I have at any Harley dealer so far.

OK, jets are cool now. Rant off.
    First buying a Harley doesn't buy you any kind of life style! Oh sure, I know you can go dump your hard earned cash into Genuine HD crap and become a weekend warrior biker poseur. 2nd no HD dealer gives a crap about you or your cash, don't believe me? find a genuine HD mechanic in a bar, buy him a beer and ask him. 3rd Cash don't play either, I have physically taken 17,000 in cold hard green backs to buy a bike and was told that I wasn't one of that particular stores customers so take a hike. 4th Yes, there are many brands of bikes that are far better quality than HD go check them out. Most of them don't load their bikes down with 3000 in BS chrome you didn't ask for and don't want before you stepped foot in their shop. 5th- Harley's are over priced pieces of crap and if you aren't handy with a wrench on your lawn mower, you shouldn't buy one! Lastly, if your heart is set on a Harley, wait until Dec and buy 1 fairly cheap from one of the afore mentioned weekend warrior posieurs who need to buy Christmas or pay taxes.
    i will qualify my opinion by stating I have owed 5 Harley in the past 15 years and have over 400,000 documented miles with HD on record. Good luck with your endevour and please take a motorcycle safety course even if you think your and experienced bike rider. Oh and a lifestyle, especially a "biker" lifestyle is made/earned, not bought! This rant is over now.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You're better off knowing the total amount you're prepared to pay, rather than how much you can pay per month and how many years you're willing to be in debt for it. Otherwise, they end up playing these silly games.
    This. I have never purchased a vehicle on monthly payments or trade in prices. Always get the price of their vehicle first then work your trade in if you have one. If you have half way descent credit, you can get financing from anyone at about the same rates.

I will also second the internet thing. If you're buying something new then you can go to any dealer to get it. Doing an internet inquiry telling them exactly what you want will usually light a fire under them as they know all they have to do for a sale is meet your price. This is how I've purchased two of my three vehicles. They were both over 250 miles away and both were easy sales. One dealer even delivered the car to me instead of having me come get it.

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    I realize when you purchase a Harley, you're buying into a lifestyle as well as buying a bike. I also realize that there are metric bikes out there that equal if not exceed Harley in certain areas. With that being said, a Harley is what I have had my heart set on for a while now and I'm willing to pay for the "privilege" of owning one. The sad thing is the buying process hasn't been fun thus far. These jackasses at the dealership are sucking the enjoyment out of it for me.

"Metric" bikes exceed Harley in ALL areas...you are paying big money for slow, heavy, old technology, except for the Vrod. Which isn't as old. But still slow and heavy. You shouldn't feel as if owning one is a privilege, that's what Harley wants you to think so you buy their overpriced merchandise. And yes they have attitude, like it's some big deal own one. When actually, it a fools errand. They try to propagate the idea that the bikes are hard to come by and somehow special, they aren't in either case. Also, don't fall for the it will be worth more than you paid for it in the future line, if it is it will be after your dead , 75 years from now. Maybe..Lol I've owned a dozen bikes over the last 25 years, Japanese, Euro and Harley. And I have to say Harley was by far the least value received for the $$$ of them all..IMHO. So if you want to stand around and talk about how bada$& your bike is get one. If you actually want to ride trouble free. Buy something else.

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    First buying a Harley doesn't buy you any kind of life style! Oh sure, I know you can go dump your hard earned cash into Genuine HD crap and become a weekend warrior biker poseur. 2nd no HD dealer gives a crap about you or your cash, don't believe me? find a genuine HD mechanic in a bar, buy him a beer and ask him. 3rd Cash don't play either, I have physically taken 17,000 in cold hard green backs to buy a bike and was told that I wasn't one of that particular stores customers so take a hike. 4th Yes, there are many brands of bikes that are far better quality than HD go check them out. Most of them don't load their bikes down with 3000 in BS chrome you didn't ask for and don't want before you stepped foot in their shop. 5th- Harley's are over priced pieces of crap and if you aren't handy with a wrench on your lawn mower, you shouldn't buy one! Lastly, if your heart is set on a Harley, wait until Dec and buy 1 fairly cheap from one of the afore mentioned weekend warrior posieurs who need to buy Christmas or pay taxes.
    i will qualify my opinion by stating I have owed 5 Harley in the past 15 years and have over 400,000 documented miles with HD on record. Good luck with your endevour and please take a motorcycle safety course even if you think your and experienced bike rider. Oh and a lifestyle, especially a "biker" lifestyle is made/earned, not bought! This rant is over now.

And this...hehe.

Top Bottom