I destroyed my Mosin 91/30....Purists Beware!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Looks Great!....When they were really cheap about 10 years ago...I thought of making a couple of them into lamps. But still keeping them operational.
    The nice thing is no matter what you do to them you can't lose much.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Nice job. That leaves only about 2 billion 91/30s that have not been changed from mil-spec. You did manage to turn a one of a million rifle into something that stands out. I've been toying with sportering one of my Mosins and might just give something like that a shot.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    It looks great! I have considered doing one in winter white camo.

And as far as "ruining" it....

I think others have broken any mold there ever was:

2635022443_cabe134070.jpg

meldusty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    It looks like a lot of effort went into making that gun fancy, unique and really nice. I think you did a great job! I have a Brit 303 that had a black stock. I did some fine sanding to the light wood in a pattern effect and it came out nice. The purist would not like it but I do. Once again Great Job.

caddywhompus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Pendleton
    Again, thanks a lot for the feedback! I think jd is right, I haven't seen anything out there as far as stocks go, except for ATI. ATI makes me hesitate a little bit, but I may be willing to try one in the future. I was in the market for a stock on my SKS and decided on the Butler Creek Sporter. Turned out looking great and definitely worth the money. The ATI SKS stocks just didn't "do it" for me.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Hey, If you like it that's all that matters. I have done the same thing in the past with a few of my beat up stocks. When I first saw the title I had to check it out and I was relieved to see that you actually did this to improve the appearance of your rifle and not just to promote and kick start a painting business.

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    How dare you destroy a piece of history!!!!

At least that's what some one told me one time on another forum except with a little harsher words, he got banned. :D

I do love the paint job, Enjoy your rifle!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Again, thanks a lot for the feedback! I think jd is right, I haven't seen anything out there as far as stocks go, except for ATI. ATI makes me hesitate a little bit, but I may be willing to try one in the future. I was in the market for a stock on my SKS and decided on the Butler Creek Sporter. Turned out looking great and definitely worth the money. The ATI SKS stocks just didn't "do it" for me.

Richards Microfit Gunstocks has very high end stocks for any Mosin, as well as other rifles. I've toyed with doing a build of a very nice sportered Mosin, but can't bring myself to invest more than 3 times the cost of the rifle in the stock...yet. The stocks they offer can run well over $500 if you choose exhibition grade wood, but a very nice stock could be bought for around $250.

caddywhompus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Pendleton
    Richards Microfit Gunstocks has very high end stocks for any Mosin, as well as other rifles. I've toyed with doing a build of a very nice sportered Mosin, but can't bring myself to invest more than 3 times the cost of the rifle in the stock...yet. The stocks they offer can run well over $500 if you choose exhibition grade wood, but a very nice stock could be bought for around $250.

Yikes! I'm keeping it on the cheap. As E5Ranger pointed out, just a fun rifle to shoot and make big holes with!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rickyjohnson111
    Top Bottom