• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    The last 6-8 months, I've been getting into long range shooting. I've been using a Browning Abolt in 300 WSM and a T/C Venture in 243 and they have been serving the need. But I've been wanting to get a long range precision rifle dedicated for this purpose. Today I pulled the trigger....sort of. I put in an order with Bradis (thanks Mark! Enabler) for a Savage 110 FCP HS Precision in 338 Lapua Mag. I'm hoping to have this all wrapped in the next few months, glass, dies, components, bipod, etc. The rifle is a new offering from Savage in 338LM this year so it is a little hard to come by right now. But when Mark finds one I will be getting a call. Thanks again Mark. Enabler.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Well, today I got the call. My Savage 110 in 338 Lapua is on the way. It should be in later this week. Thanks again Mark, enabler. Now to come up with the rest of the cash. I thought it was going to take a little longer to come in. Looking forward to getting this wrapped up soon. I can't wait to make it bark. Thanks again Mark,enabler.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    You're welcome. :)

bKZ0lE02P_oa6EPDuEW.png

kb66

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Noblesville
    What glass are you going to put on it? Also, since you're on the south side of Indy, where are you going to shoot long range with it?

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Well I got the call today from Mark, "The Enabler". IT"S IN!!!!!!! I went down to Bradis after work to put a little more down on it. Mark let me molest it a bit while I was there. The trigger is awesome! There was a "negligent discharge" of sorts. I wish there had been some kleenex or at least some paper towels. I also felt the need for a new set of drawers and a smoke afterward. I can't wait to get this girl out on the range. And even more good news, it came with a threaded barrel so when I put a can on it, I won't have to have any barrel work done. Thanks again Mark, enabler.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    What glass are you going to put on it? Also, since you're on the south side of Indy, where are you going to shoot long range with it?

I like to go up to just outside of Ft. Wayne. There's a reange called Hillside Shooting Sports. They have an excellent range. Pistol bays with a lot of steel, like dueling trees and flip up bowling pins and plates. Then there is the rifle range. Steel at 100, 200, 300, 400, 600, and 1000 yards. Lots of shooting benches on a concrete pad. They are working to improve it even more. Next is getting the rifle firing line covered. You should make the trip sometime. It's worth the drive.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I just got some brass, bullets and a shellholder ordered from Midway. I went to Hillside Thursday and they had some used Redding dies, partial box(~45) of Sierra Matchking 250gn bullets, and about 3/4 lb Retumbo powder. The 3 die set(FLsizer, Necksizer, and seating die) is barely used at all.Guessing about 5 rounds or so. It runs about $120 new. The bullets are about $30-35 for a 50 count box, and the powder runs about $30/lb. I got it all for $100. If all goes well, I will pick up my new rifle this week and will be breaking it in next weekend.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I picked up the rifle from Bradis today. Went straight to the range. I was very pleasantly surprised at the recoil. I got ready to shoot it and buried it in my shoulder kind of gritting my teeth, squeezed the trigger and boom! This has less recoil than my 300 wsm. I'm tired tonight and left the camera in the truck. A more detailed AAR will follow in the next day or so. Thanks Mark!

cdscds

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Very Very nice gun, I haven't owned the 338 yet, have shot a few, but never actually had one to call my own. I do have a 6.5x47... I regularly hit targets 6" x 12" steel plates from 400 to 800 yards. Its topped with a leupold 8.5x25 VX-L when you get yours done message me, We are always looking for some long range buddys to go out with us!

Top Bottom