• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brick House

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Plainfield IN.
    Last week I posted about buying a box of 25 Remington Hollow points at Fort Liberty guns , And it cost me $25.00, Today I went into Walmart in Avon and Bought a box of 100 Remington Hollow Points For $39.97 they are both 230 gr. Jhp, and when you compare them they look almost identicle. Actually the rounds from Walmart look better ! I will never buy Ammo from a gun store again. I just wish I would have grabbed the last two boxes that walmart had !!

Hoosier9

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    If you bought a box of 25 Remington JHP from the gun store, sounds like you bought Golden Saber bullets. They are generally packaged in boxes of 25. I've never seen Remington Golden Saber at Wal-Mart, so you probably got Remington's standard JHP ammo at Wal-Mart. They are not the same, no matter how they look. Golden Saber is Remington's premium defense ammo, and is supposed to perform better than standard JHPs.

The only premium defensive ammo that I've seen at Wal-Mart has been the Winchester PDX-1, and a few boxes of Federal 135 grain HST in .40 caliber.

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    You could have probably bought a 50 round box of Golden Saber bullets for around $35 too. At least that is what I found with Speer Gold Dots. Their 50 round box is just a better deal than the 20 round box.

Brick House

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Plainfield IN.
    The 25 I bought for $25 were the Remington Ultimate Home Defense rounds, the ones from Walmart were Remington UMC JHP, but in a side by side comparison, they look very similar, Except the UMC's have a much deeper pocket in the hollow point and look much more Agressive. I just dont understand how there could be that much of a difference, the home defense rounds are $1 a round , and the UMC's were about 39 cents each. the bottom line is...I wouldnt want to get shot by either one of them !!

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    i believe the defense rounds have a little less powder behind them for faster follow up shots and are designed to expand faster for less penetration.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Check the ballistics on both rounds. My guess is the more expensive is the better stopper. I could be wrong. Back in the late 80's I was buying .45 CCI Blazer ammo in 200gr JHP for cheaper than the other stuff and my Sig loved it. Shot great. Pulled a round out that expanded to .69 caliber.

I love the cheap stuff, when it performs. Otherwise I only buy it for plinking and such.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I personally like Remington umc in 357 hp and in swc. From the very informal testing I've done on the hp rounds, I trust them enough to carry with them. Really, most any hp in a 357 will do.

Rsmith

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Morgan County
    Go to youtube and check out tests that have been performed on different rounds.
    In many cases the cheaper remington ammo does not expand when shot thru denim.
    Their are many videos on many different types of rounds.:thumbsup:

Brick House

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Plainfield IN.
    The good news is I'm carrying the UHD's For personal protection, so I wont have to spend that kind of money, buying more , until I shoot 25 people !! LOL !!

ranjah6

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Take a hard look at what ammo you want for what use. If your training you don't need home defense ammo. I agree to check the ballistics and see what you need.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Now I look at expansion, depth and flash. Some ammo works poorly in lower light because the flash is brighter or a different color that ruins follow up shots for a longer period.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    There is no comparison between the two Remington rounds you purchased. $1 apiece for premium carry ammo is not that bad (for a gunshop).

The only thing I could see using UMC JHP's for is making sure a 1911 could properly feed HP's / breakin.

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    I would happily pay double to a support private gun store before I would give money to China-Mart

:+1:Exactly what I was thinking. Fort Liberty is a good shop and does their best to break away from the normal gun store feel that many non-gun owners feel intimidated by. I try to purchase a box of ammo every time I visit a good local shop just to help them out and thank them for fighting against Wal-Mart.

Brick House

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Plainfield IN.
    I went to You Tube and Watched videos on the different ammo, and now I get it. The hollow points a bought at walmart were tested, and they shot one through 5 layers of denim and it then went through 7, gallon milk jugs of water and hit the wood backstop at the end , and DIDNT even expand ! the bullet was found intact. I wouldnt want to think about that bullet passing through a BG and hitting innocent people, or one of my family members. So now I dont feel bad about spending the extra money on the Ultimate Home Defense rounds, because in their test video they performed flawlessly.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Exactly. the Title should be changed.

Gun shops get enough bad press to have to deal with without a customer proclaiming his ignorance and suggesting the gun shop ripped him off.

WWB 45 "hollow points" and premium defensive ammo should not be compared as apples to apples.

Top Bottom