• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    I sold a S&W 686 on GunBroker and had to ship it to a dealer in Missouri for the transaction. I didn't realize shipping rates were so high on guns now. It was $78 at FedEx to ship the gun overnight, which is the only way they said I could ship it. I guess that's another reason not to sell any guns.

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    Next time bring the firearm to an FFL for shipping. They will charge you a fee of about $20 or so but they can ship it USPS so the total would have been around $35.

It seems 686 Shooter and I hit the submit button at the exact same time :)

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    You should have went through a dealer on your end and shipped it USPS.

And you shouldn't be selling 686s in the first place.

I might try a dealer on the next one. I just didn't realize it was that expensive to ship a gun. It's been many years since I've shipped a gun anywhere.
    Nothing against 686s. I'm just more of a 629 guy. I just ordered a S&W 629 Performance Center V-Comp with a 4.25" barrel and I had to sell something to help pay for the new gun. The 686 I sold was a CS-1 version that I really liked but, like I said, I'm just more of a .44 guy.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I might try a dealer on the next one. I just didn't realize it was that expensive to ship a gun. It's been many years since I've shipped a gun anywhere.
    Nothing against 686s. I'm just more of a 629 guy. I just ordered a S&W 629 Performance Center V-Comp with a 4.25" barrel and I had to sell something to help pay for the new gun. The 686 I sold was a CS-1 version that I really liked but, like I said, I'm just more of a .44 guy.

I was just joking about selling 686s, 629s are good too. I always shot .44 until I started shooting in a bullseye league, wadcutters were hard to come by for .44 so I switched to .357

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    Everybody has their particular favorites. I like the 686 but, since I use my revolvers primarily for deer hunting, I like the .44 better. I also like the way a .44 recoils better than a .357. It seems more like a hard shove than a sharp snap. It's kind of like the way I like the recoil of a .45 better than the recoil of a .40 so I'm selling all my .40-caliber pistols also. I'm also trying to narrow down the ammo that I keep in stock and the reloading supplies that I keep in stock to simplify at least one part of my life:)

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Yep... Next time, have an FFL do it. They can utilize USPS and it'll only cost them ~$15. Cost to customer should be ~$25.

Hope you had "buyer pays actual shipping" in your add!!

-J-

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    Yep... Next time, have an FFL do it. They can utilize USPS and it'll only cost them ~$15. Cost to customer should be ~$25.

Hope you had "buyer pays actual shipping" in your add!!

-J-

Nope. I didn't realize what the cost was going to be. My Bad. I only charged $30 for shipping.

Did you send it next-day saver? If you have to go overnight, that's about the best way. Gets it there by like 4pm instead of in the morning, but is much less expensive.

I'm not familiar with next-day saver. Is that thru FedEx or UPS? Is UPS any cheaper than FedEx? Like I said, it's been a long time since I've shipped any guns like this so I'm pretty unaware (ignorant) of a lot of this.
    Thanks Guys

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I just did that a few weeks ago and got charged a transfer fee on top of shipping. :dunno:

That's surprising...

Sounds to me like you got took for an unnecessary fee.

I'd make it a point to not utilize that particular FFL again.

They'd probably also want to charge you sales tax on something you had shipped in.

-J-

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    That's surprising...

Sounds to me like you got took for an unnecessary fee.

I'd make it a point to not utilize that particular FFL again.

They'd probably also want to charge you sales tax on something you had shipped in.

-J-

In order for the FFL to ship your gun, they have to have the gun in their name otherwise they wouldn't be able to ship. I get charged $30 when I ship a gun through my FFL.

Top Bottom