• ...and so much more!
  • chris46131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Franklin
    ...what my head looks like.

The time finally came. About ten years ago I detected the first sings of male pattern baldness at the crown of my head and it's been expanding it's territory ever since. I always said when it got to the point where I thought it looked bad enough I would just buzz it all off. Saturday I happened to catch an angle in a mirror I don't normally see. Yep, it was time. So last night I took it down to stubble.

I'll be honest, it feels weird. But my wife says she really likes it. And it's definitely more practical. For you gents that have done the same, how long will it take to get used to this?

Oh, and my head is cold!

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    it will take a minute. I have been shaving my head for about 7 years and I dont see going back to having hair (I'm not balding). The first time I shaved it I felt odd and got lots of looks from people who I know. It took months to get used to shaving and getting the hang of it. I do wear hats when its cold and I never used to. that's the biggest change for me.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I finally found out what my face looks like! This is the second time in 10+ years (first time in 8) that I am without a beard. I agree, it feels completely foreign, and....COLD. I'm going to let it grow back, and keep it for another 10+ years.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Good for you on making the plunge. And good for you getting your wife's approval! Who cards what anyone else thinks as long as she likes it.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    ...what my head looks like.

The time finally came. About ten years ago I detected the first sings of male pattern baldness at the crown of my head and it's been expanding it's territory ever since. I always said when it got to the point where I thought it looked bad enough I would just buzz it all off. Saturday I happened to catch an angle in a mirror I don't normally see. Yep, it was time. So last night I took it down to stubble.

I'll be honest, it feels weird. But my wife says she really likes it. And it's definitely more practical. For you gents that have done the same, how long will it take to get used to this?

Oh, and my head is cold!

Wait until summer and you forget that you're bald and you get a sunburned head. You never think that you have to put sunscreen on your head.

coban

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    SW Indiana
    I don't shave mine bald but keep it buzzed as short as my clippers will go. After you get used to it hair will bother you if its gets to be a quarter inch long. Much cooler in the summer but also in the winter so plan on keeping your head covered in the winter.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I don't shave mine bald but keep it buzzed as short as my clippers will go. After you get used to it hair will bother you if its gets to be a quarter inch long. Much cooler in the summer but also in the winter so plan on keeping your head covered in the winter.

^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^

Oh and yeah...about that sun...don't forget that hat!

chris46131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Franklin
    Good for you on making the plunge. And good for you getting your wife's approval! Who cards what anyone else thinks as long as she likes it.

Yep, that's pretty much where I am with it. She looked concerned when I broke out the clippers but afterward she told he sister-in-law it looked sexy. Guess I can't beat that.

Wait until summer and you forget that you're bald and you get a sunburned head. You never think that you have to put sunscreen on your head.

That actually started happening about three years ago...so yeah, it's pretty sparse up there.

Sfrandolph

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    Boone county
    I agree with Coban. I'm not bald and don't shave the noggin. But I do like the hair very short. Just towel dry after a shower and good to go. No hair dryer, no hair gels or sprays. And the time for a haircut is shortened too.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    My hair has been thinning for years now, but I can't bring myself to shave it. As a 180-lb computer geek with glasses, I think I'll probably look ridiculous.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My hair has been thinning for years now, but I can't bring myself to shave it. As a 180-lb computer geek with glasses, I think I'll probably look ridiculous.

Grow a full beard + sideburns and then shave your head. You'd be cool then, I promise.

chris46131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Franklin

How tall are you? Are you thinking you're too portly or too skinny to pull off that look? Or something else entirely?

chris46131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Franklin
    Well, it's been a little over a week and I'm really starting to like it. Definitely easier to deal with and no more haircuts to pay for, no more combing hair, shampoo, hat head, bed head, the list goes on...

So one more question for you guys that go down to the skin (I think that's where I'm headed as soon as I get some color up there). What do you use? Does a disposable razor do the job? I have seen these head shaving gadgets that are supposed to conform better to the curves of your noggin. Anyone tried them?

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    Welcome to the club!

I use a Gillette pro fusion. I started with a Mach 3, but the blade dulls too quickly compared to the pro fusion. I've tried disposables, but I get nicked up. For the follow on question you didn't ask, I shave my head in the shower using shampoo instead of shaving cream. It's less of a mess (all goes down the drain) and the shampoo does just as good of a job.

As for temperature changes, I love having my head shaved. I can wear a touque in the winter (a knit cap for you yankees) or drive with my windows down in the summer, all without needing to carry a comb around.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    I'm 68 and first started balding in my late 20's. Learn to embrace the scalp. I wear a little fringe around the edges in winter purely for the warmth, in warm weather I cut it just as short as I can without a razor and would not have it any other way.
    YOu save more than enough on shampoo to cover any expense of shaving and moisturizing your scalp.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    When I was a senior in high school, three of us shaved our heads when we made State for wrestling. One of the girlfriend's mom shaved our heads, then I kept it off with a Norelco electric.

Years later, I shaved my head while in the Navy. I used disposable razors for keeping it clean then.

In my opinion, either way works just fine. YMMV.

And I have told Sweetie that as soon as enough of it goes, I will be taking the rest of it off. Another year or two, and I will be joining you.

P.S. Whatever you do, do NOT shave your eyebrows off. Did that at the same time has my head, in the Navy, and regretted it until they grew back in.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

P.S. Whatever you do, do NOT shave your eyebrows off. Did that at the same time has my head, in the Navy, and regretted it until they grew back in.

Is this you?!

homepage.jpg

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria

Scutter, you'll know when the time is right. Mine hit me several years ago when I saw a Christmas picture and some poor schlub had his back to the camera and had a big, bald spot smack in the middle of his head. Bet he was totally clueless that he had that big, bald spot back there. He never sees it when he looks in the mirror. Poor old fart.

WAIT ... THAT'S ME! :eek:

I felt goofy when I first buzzed it all off, and probably looked it, too. However, several years later, I'm used to it and so is everybody else. I had to grow a goatee to shift the focus from the pointy spot on my head that used to be covered with hair, but that's OK.

In fact, I was cleaning out my glove box a few days ago and, among the old napkins, tire gauge, owner's manual, oil change receipts and other assorted junk accumulated over a decade of use, I found a strange gizmo. It was about 6" long, black, plastic ... looked like a tiny rake without a handle. Then it occurred to me what it was -- A COMB! :D

Step into the light, Scutter. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated...

Top Bottom