• ...and so much more!
  • t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    Acquired my first self-bought handgun that is! :rockwoot:

Last Friday, we were wondering what kind of trouble we could get into during the weekend. I uttered those dreaded words that most every man HATES to hear..."how about we go shopping?" I received that brief look of panic; you know, the one that tells me he really doesn't want to and is trying to figure out how to get out of it, or at least what bar is closest to whatever shop of torture I'm thinking of dragging him through. BUT! I quickly relieved his pain and informed him we were going GUN SHOPPING! This got his attention and he was very excited about it.

I had been eyeballing the LC9 or the CM9, but had yet to hold a CM9. So, we headed out to Gander in Merrillville because we were pretty sure they had one. They did. I held it, and while it's a nice looking gun, it wasn't quite what I was looking for. It's only slightly bigger then my P3AT. The girl :yesway: (and she was young, in her early 20's it looked to be) behind the counter tried to sell me on it, saying it's a perfect purse drop and very concealable. While it's true, I already have a purse drop. I wanted something bigger. There was a certain exchange between counter girl and myself, that I will let darkkevin tell you about, as he likes to tell the story/brag on me. :):

Next up, we headed out to Down Range Dynamics in Portage. Having heard about it on here, we figured it was worth a shot. Well. We walk in, the two young guys behind the counter say hello and introduce themselves to darkkevin, and completely ignore me. :noway: After a brief exchange, darkkevin introduces me, and I tell them what I am looking for. After they realized I was the one who was wanting to spend money, they were very good about talking to me and answering my questions. Since they are a new shop, they didn't have much. They did have a kel-tec PF9 that they had just got that day, and said I could have it for $200. Good deal, but it's not what I was looking for.

Off to Westforth in Gary. They were excellent about talking to me, and didn't ignore me from the get-go. I don't remember what all I held there, but there were quite a few. There was a Sig P239 there, that also had a .357 barrel and a leather holster with it that could have been the one, but I still wanted to look around.

We set off to Blythe's in Griffith. We've been in there multiple times, and depending on the day I like/don't like them. I've been ignored completely in the past, or asked if I was looking for a pretty pink gun. Sometimes they treated me as they would treat a man. This particular Saturday, darkkevin hung back and let me do my thing. They answered every question I had. I held many many different guns there. I had to stay away from the compact 1911's that I REALLY REALLY WANT, because I didn't want to blow my entire tax return. :( I ended up purchasing a S&W Model 457 and a box of self defense ammo for $500 out the door. :draw::D:draw::D

Then it was time to find a holster. This took awhile. Ok, a week, but still. I really like darkkevin's holster for his 1911. He had picked it up at the Crown Point gun show awhile ago from Citadel Tactical Solutions, formerly WarDog Outfitters. They are always really good at the gun show. These guys had irritated me when we went out there to get a IWB holster for my P3AT. They didn't have one in stock, so we ordered one, which is fine. It was supposed to be shipped directly to our house and if I didn't receive it just before Christmas, it would have been shortly after. Come the end of the year, I still don't have my holster. So I call Citadel and they tell me that shipping was backed up on Tagua's end. I calm down. A week later, I STILL don't have my holster. Darkkevin calls them, they say Tagua must have messed up, it's not with their shipment. He reminds them that it was supposed to be shipped to our house, not their store. So, they call Tagua, who then informs them that that holster has been discontinued. :xmad: I was still irked with Citadel, but far less so then I was. We call yesterday to make sure they have something in stock for me and they do. As soon as we walked in, Michael (who darkkevin dealt with at the gun show, and we ordered the P3AT holster from) starts apologizing profusely for the mix up on that holster. It was not their fault at all, which is why I was willing to go buy the holster for my NEW! to me .45.

Overall, finally buying my first self-purchased gun was an excellent experience. Now, I have to re-fund the gun buying bank and decide which compact 1911 I want first! :cool::rockwoot:

Here she is!
    DSCN2388.jpg

Last edited:

Boz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Muncie
    While I live in Muncie now, I am from Griffith originally. I agree that Blythe's is hit and miss in terms of customer service. Prices are gernerally high too, but money talks and you can get a good deal if you are paying cash and haggle with them. My mother was a gun enthusiast and would only deal with Ed there. He always treated her and all of us really well.

The nice thing about Blythe's is that between the Griffith and Valpo store, they have a really good inventory.

I miss Jim Shema's old shop in Merrillville.

Glad you got something you like! The 457 is a real good shooter.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Glad to hear you got something you like, but you broke one of the cardinal rules...

:postpics:

:D

Post-pic update: Looks nice. I wasn't familiar with that model.

Last edited:

Blythes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    Congratulations on your first handgun purchase. I'm glad you chose to shop with us. I'm sorry you've had a less than satisfactory experience in the past, I'm working to make sure no customer feels as though they're ignored or that they weren't treated fairly.

If you ever have an issue, please don't hesitate to contact me in our Valpo store. 219-476-0026, ask for David.

I'm looking forward to a range report!

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    Congratulations on your first handgun purchase. I'm glad you chose to shop with us. I'm sorry you've had a less than satisfactory experience in the past, I'm working to make sure no customer feels as though they're ignored or that they weren't treated fairly.

If you ever have an issue, please don't hesitate to contact me in our Valpo store. 219-476-0026, ask for David.

I'm looking forward to a range report!

No worries! If I was truly upset about it, I wouldn't have been back to purchase anything. My dad's been buying stuff from you guys for years. :yesway:
    FWIW, the guy I was working with on this purchase was excellent. I do not recall his name, but he was a younger guy. In his 20's maybe, kind of hard to tell. A few weeks prior we were out at the Valpo store window shopping and again, I don't recall his name, but he is a younger guy, perhaps early 30's (2 different eye colors, I'm a girl, I notice things like that) and he was fantastic. Overall, I've had more positive experiences at Blythe's then I've had negative.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    Acquired my first self-bought handgun that is! :rockwoot:

I had been eyeballing the LC9 or the CM9, but had yet to hold a CM9. So, we headed out to Gander in Merrillville because we were pretty sure they had one. They did. I held it, and while it's a nice looking gun, it wasn't quite what I was looking for. It's only slightly bigger then my P3AT. The girl :yesway: (and she was young, in her early 20's it looked to be) behind the counter tried to sell me on it, saying it's a perfect purse drop and very concealable. While it's true, I already have a purse drop. I wanted something bigger. There was a certain exchange between counter girl and myself, that I will let darkkevin tell you about, as he likes to tell the story/brag on me.

it was pretty funny, the girl behind the counter, though very good, was determined to sell T a compact or concealable gun that she could easily hide in her purse, when she responded "actually i love carrying his 1911 when he's not" the girl got a bit wide eyed and smiled.

the other funny of the day was the salesman at westforth's, younger guy, 30ish, with a shoulder rig carrying two full size hk's and a cheap belt and cheap holster holding a 7-8" single action revolver that was drooping so bad i was afraid his pant's were gonna come off!! :rolleyes:
    he was determined to sell her a hk "cuz they're the best handguns ever, no question"

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    while I like the CW9/CP9 for deep concealment, it would not and could not replace a larger gun. It'd would be my bug or the only gun I would carry depending on the situation limiting me carrying a larger frame pistol.

Top Bottom