• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    At the range today...running (among other things) some freedom munitions 40 through the old g23 when all of a sudden the round wouldn't chamber. I popped the barrel out and saw a bullet lodged in the barrel just beyond the chamber. Guess I'll just try to press it out at the shop on Monday. Seems pretty crappy. I guess that's what I get for not ONLY firing my reloads. Not that I am great at reloading, I just expected more from an outfit like freedom munitions. Am I wrong? Has this happened to anyone else?:(

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I saw a .40 squib from freedom munitions last march at tactical response.

I have shot a bunch of their 9mm without issue, but a buddy of mine has had problems with some 9mm from them.

Raitekk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   1
    Mar 9, 2013
    Northwest Indiana
    that blows.
    I have fired about 50 thousand rounds of 9mm and .223/5.56 from freedom munitions without issue.
    Hopefully you are able to get the bullet out!

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    You didn't notice there was a difference in recoil and/or sound when the round/squib went off? What I am saying is if the next round had chambered would you have fired it? A squib in itself is not really dangerous, the bad things that happen are when you fire another round behind the squib. Jim.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    Okay you got me. Full disclosure-i wasn't the one who pulled the trigger on the squib. I was firing my gun, passed it off to another shooter, he got a couple of rounds out before the squib. It doesn't really matter anyway. If it recoiled enough to eject and chamber a round I would have pulled the trigger just the same.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    You didn't notice there was a difference in recoil and/or sound when the round/squib went off? What I am saying is if the next round had chambered would you have fired it? A squib in itself is not really dangerous, the bad things that happen are when you fire another round behind the squib. Jim.

Okay you got me. Full disclosure-i wasn't the one who pulled the trigger on the squib. I was firing my gun, passed it off to another shooter, he got a couple of rounds out before the squib. It doesn't really matter anyway. If it recoiled enough to eject and chamber a round I would have pulled the trigger just the same.

04FXSTS is right. It would have mattered a great deal. You were lucky you couldn't load that next round. Firing after a squib can do a great deal of damage to a gun, such as blowing up the barrel and can hurt you in the process.

Gun destroyed by firing after a squib:
    kaboom1.jpg

Barrel held up better, but the gun was still ruined by firing after a squib:
    omamfciqg1uiper3pdrj.jpg

Both squibs and "hang fires" are scary forms of malfunctions that can result in injuries. If you don't know how to properly deal with them, please look them up so that you will minimize the chance of doing the wrong thing and getting someone hurt.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    If it absolutely positively has to work - load your own. Factory ammo has become a total crap shoot today. I wouldn't stake my life on ANY of it.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    At the range today...running (among other things) some freedom munitions 40 through the old g23 when all of a sudden the round wouldn't chamber. I popped the barrel out and saw a bullet lodged in the barrel just beyond the chamber. Guess I'll just try to press it out at the shop on Monday. Seems pretty crappy. I guess that's what I get for not ONLY firing my reloads. Not that I am great at reloading, I just expected more from an outfit like freedom munitions. Am I wrong? Has this happened to anyone else?:(

Squibs can happen, from ANYONE. I've seen factory Blazer brass have a squib, my boss at a Hornady Critical Defense squib on him, and I've seen several rounds from Federal, PPU, S&B, and Winchester just not go off, good primer strike, but not ignite.

I've had numerous squibs, mostly from shooting 40+ year old ammo just getting rid of it, especially in 38 wadcutters

It sucks, but anything can happen. Just be prepared for it

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    It sucks you had that happen edwea. I've had really good luck with the FM stuff....both the new and reman...

No issues with hard primers?

Glocks are famously tolerant of hard primers, but my current P320 isn't a fan of Freedom Munitions.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Drill a 1/4" hole through the center of the bullet, then get a 1/4-20 thread bolt and some thick washers from 1/4" hole up to as large as needed to support the nut at the rear of your barrel. Put the bolt through the bullet from the muzzle end, install washers and nut, and tighten the nut pulling the bullet back into the chamber. This will not work if you pull toward the muzzle.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    If you have a press at work it should be fairly easy to get out. Press back toward the chamber, and use something softer like a piece of wooden dowel rod

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Almost certainly the latter. Having a high-pressure event in a barrel with no outlet can cause metal to burst and in some cases do serious damage to surrounding flesh.

The rifle that you snipped out very likely involved personal injury.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    It happens, always try to be aware of any odd sounds and stop and inspect. An SO recognized one yesterday at a match, and stopped the shooter. The bullet was halfway down the barrel, would not have ended well if the SO hadn't stopped him.

Usually fairly easy to get out, use either a wood dowel rod or a brass rod, tap it lightly until it comes out. Insert rod into the muzzle end.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I've had several squibs in my 4506 from faulty reloads I had due to clumping powder charges. I heard the squib before pulling the trigger as I always keep an ear out to how my firearms sound.

Top Bottom