• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    For those of you in the east central Indiana region and those willing to travel a bit, I wanted to share a location that I went to yesterday, entirely because I had called them beforehand and found that they had multiple powders suitable for handguns.
    I found out about them when I called Big Daddy's Guns & More in Hagerstown (just over twenty minutes away from me), asking if they might possibly have any smokeless powder.
    The guy who answered the phone said they didn't, but that they referred people looking for reloading components to Matt's Custom Guns near Connersville.
    I took down Matt's number, then called him, asking specifically about what handgun/shotgun powders he might have.
    Here's the list he ran off to me:

Titegroup
    CFE Pistol
    HP38
    HS6
    W231
    W296
    Winchester Autocomp
    Lil' Gun
    H110

Anyone who knows about the current situation with the availability of powder, especially anything suitable for handguns, would be pretty excited about this, and I sure was.
    So, off I went on a 45-minute road trip.
    It turns out that Matt's is clearly a sole proprietorship, located on what looks like his farm out in the country, with a crushed limestone driveway leading around his house, over to a spiffy looking sheet metal sided building where his gun shop is.
    I went in, and there was another older gent there talking to Matt about what he needed for his own reloading purposes, so I just greeted Matt and told him that I was the nut who had called earlier that day to ask about powder, then went straight to his shelf that was literally covered with canisters of powder.
    Well, as it turns out, Matt had made a little mistake: He had every handgun powder that he mentioned, plus there was a canister of Ramshot True Blue and another of IMR 4227.
    It's nice to be surprised in a good way.
    I had come in especially interested in W231, HS6, Titegroup, and CFE Pistol, so after realizing that I didn't want to spend around $100 on powder alone, and having more data for HS6 than W231, I went with a pound each of the latter three choices.
    The prices were good to about average, too: The HS6 and CFE Pistol were $24.55 each, and the Titegroup was $21.55.
    The prices of the other powders were similar, with H110 marked $24.55 and W296 (yes, exact same powder under another brand) for $22.55, as an example.

He also had lots of eight-pound canisters that I hadn't bothered to check, but plenty of those were also handgun powders.
    There was even more powder suitable for rifles, both in one-pound and eight pound canisters.
    Examples off the top of my head: IMR 4831, IMR 4350, IMR 3031, IMR 4895, H380, LeveRevolution, and Superformance.
    Just guesstimating here, but I would say that he has well north of 100 pounds of powder of various types on that shelf.

I was also pleasantly surprised to see a nice selection of other components, including about two dozen different die sets, various brass, primers, bullets, funnels, trimmers, presses, scales, and various other related items.
    As an example of prices, he had at least one box of Barnes TTSX 168 grain .308 caliber bullets marked for about what I'd expect to pay online, as I recall $34.55.
    He also had several boxes of factory ammo and about two dozen handguns and rifles, but I didn't bother spending time looking at those because I had other errands to take care of before going home to celebrate my fifth anniversary.
    The only thing that I could kick myself for is failing to take photos of the powder shelf to post here so you could see all that he has.

Anyone interested can reach him at 765-825-3418.

His hours of operation are standard 9-5, Monday-Friday.

And the address:
    3762 North County Road 450 East
    Connersville, IN 47331

The one drawback is that it's a bit out in the boonies, but I can say that my Garmin led me right up to his driveway perfectly, so GPS users can rejoice.
    Check it out.

Last edited:

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Glad you were able to locate some. Seems like its starting to ease up a little. I just hope people are not hoarding powder like they are .22 ammo...

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I just hope people are not hoarding powder like they are .22 ammo...

Hoarding [ hôrding ] - Noun - a general term for a behavior that leads people or animals to accumulate food or other items in order to sustain them during periods of scarcity.

Also: Someone who had the forethought to acquire ammo and powder when it is more easily available while I spent my money on other things, and now they have more than me and it p*sses me off.

Thanks for the info Mr. Floyd, I'll give the man a call.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Hoarding [ hôrding ] - Noun - a general term for a behavior that leads people or animals to accumulate food or other items in order to sustain them during periods of scarcity.

Also: Someone who had the forethought to acquire ammo and powder when it is more easily available while I spent my money on other things, and now they have more than me and it p*sses me off.

Thanks for the info Mr. Floyd, I'll give the man a call.

amangrandpatiphat.gif

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash

If I have 10 pounds of powder and will only go thru 2 pounds a year, why do i continue to buy. I am using 2400 in my 357s. I found 8 pounds, bought 2, total. Should I have bought it all and deprived others. What if I had bought all of it and you walked in as i was walking out the door. Would you have been a little ticked off? I would, and for good reason. No reason for the continued 22 shortage either. I have talked to people that have thousands of rounds of 22 and continue to search them out. I have just over 4000 rounds and pass them up on a regular basis. No real reason for me to buy powder or 22 unless I need them, helps others that need this stuff too. JMHO

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Relax, guys.
    Rather than quarrel over semantics, why not just take advantage and patronize this fellow?
    You'll win.
    He'll win, and you'll be helping out an LGS who clearly gives a damn about reloaders.
    And, no, I am in no way affiliated even slightly to this guy, as I only found out about him yesterday.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Relax, guys.
    Rather than quarrel over semantics, why not just take advantage and patronize this fellow?
    You'll win.
    He'll win, and you'll be helping out an LGS who clearly gives a damn about reloaders.
    And, no, I am in no way affiliated even slightly to this guy, as I only found out about him yesterday.

No quarrels, just conversation.

Was in at Bass and Bucks today, they got powder in too. Not a massive am but a decent selection, for anyone interested.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Went to Red Ghost guns (Evansville) on my way home today, did not do a pistol powder inventory list but saw Clay Dot & TiteGroup & Power Pistol, I think he only had 1lb containers of PP but the others I think he had both 1's and 8's. I suspect that he also had some of the other usual pistol powder suspects. Prices were not back to pre-panic level but the highest 1 lb price I noted was $22 and the larger containers had a better price per lb.

Seems like things are easing up.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    those who unprepared will get punished during the next panic, and it only takes 1 stupid to cause the next panic.

hoard along.

stay-thirsty-my-friends-stay-thirsty.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2015
    Cincy
    those who unprepared will get punished during the next panic, and it only takes 1 stupid to cause the next panic.

hoard along.

stay-thirsty-my-friends-stay-thirsty.jpg

Picked up another 13lbs of pistol powder from my LGS, who is literally swimming in it. This brings me to over 125lbs of powder in my stockpile.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    Glad you were able to locate some. Seems like its starting to ease up a little. I just hope people are not hoarding powder like they are .22 ammo...

After the last ordeal a few years ago of not being able to find ammo in any caliber I've learned that you have to be a hoarder to a certain degree. You have to stay ahead of the game because , like lgk said, it will only take 1 stupid to screw everything thing else up again.

Irishshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Avon
    I will buy primers or powder if I see it and have the $, even if I don't need it now. I'm not hoarding, it's because I can get all my other components on line whenever I need them. The hazmat fees make primers and powder cost to much.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I haven't been looking for 22lr for the last year, because I have hoarded the year before.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I have been out of the loop for a couple of years. I take it from this post that reloading supplies have still been in short supply, is that correct?

The situation is definitely not as it was five years or so ago, when you could go on Graf's, MidwayUSA, Natchezz, Cabela's, or Midsouth Shooters Supply and find whatever you wanted the first time.
    Now, even though the situation is a bit better than two or three years ago, you still can only find about half of the bullets.
    And, while primers are finally more available (generally back in stock a day or two after marked out of stock), powder is still really tough to find, most of all powders suitable for handguns.
    Rifle powders have finally gotten better, but just look around on the sites I mentioned and a few others, and you'll see what I mean.
    The situation at brick-and-mortar outfits is no better.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    The situation is definitely not as it was five years or so ago, when you could go on Graf's, MidwayUSA, Natchezz, Cabela's, or Midsouth Shooters Supply and find whatever you wanted the first time.
    From what I've seen this hasn't been the case for powders since pre-2008 election (7 years ago). At no time, post-2008 election have I been able to go to one of those sites and find everything I wanted. I've always had to settle for "they have 90% of the powders I wanted; I better not wait too long or another will be out of stock. I better order now and hope to trade/procure the other 10% locally".

It's really unfortunate and I don't know what to do about it. I wish I could find a powder vendor that is willing to let you purchase, hold the in-stock items in reserve until the backordered items arrive. Powder Valley used to take backorders, they don't anymore; I'm not sure if they would hold your in-stock items though (to save having to pay 2 hazmat charges). I've resigned myself to the fact that if I want to buy online I'm just going to have to wait for a few more years and hopefully powder supply catches up with demand. Even then I don't anticipate that happening.

I think because of the pro-longed powder situation it's a deeper issue than just a panic. I think we're consuming powder right on the brink of what the manufacturers can supply, even without an on-going panic. The panic makes it worse, new shooters starting to reload exceeds supply as they try to stock up. We've seen record numbers of new shooters and a LOT of first-time reloaders. They all have to get their powder supplies too.

Of course more "pondering", it could be that the manufacturers know that keeping supply right on the brink of demand keeps prices high and profit margins fat...

Bsubtown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 19, 2013
    Dekalb county
    I am looking for Accurate 1680 (I Known good luck) close to Fort Wayne.

I was in the same boat as you for a few months. I called all of the usual suspects about every week. I Finally broke down and bought 8lbs on gun broker a few months ago. I got the app and checked it whenever I had a second with my phone open. I eventually found an okay priced option with buy-it-now. It had to be 8 pounds otherwise the hazmat would kill you. I didn't mind paying a bit extra per pound over what I would normally find it for to make sure I had a large supply.

There is 8 pounds for under $300 after shipping on there right now. When you think about the money saved for not having to drive around and the headache associated with worrying about not having what you need $37 a pound doesn't seem to bad.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Update: I returned to Brad's Guns this afternoon to get a canister of IMR 4831, primers, and some lock rings.
    This time, I took photos of their entire powder shelf, hopefully good enough that all of you can read the labels easily.
    The guy I talked to (Dan Scott, the manager) said there was also a lot of powder not on this shelf that they keep upstairs, so even what you see here isn't all of it.
    The shelf is shaped like an "L" from above, so I started at the short end of the "L," then worked my way to the top from left to right.

17085910623_a8765a5cbf_k.jpg

17518421558_abbcc967d2_k.jpg

17679908846_7d1d486bee_k.jpg

17519952959_a610b08e63_k.jpg

17519947179_35ca82e6b7_k.jpg

17083714504_d066e0c921_k.jpg

17519936029_195dbf71a5_k.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom