• ...and so much more!
  • AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Almost to embarrassed to share this but hey maybe it will serve as a warning to someone smarter than myself. Partyboy6686 and I went shooting today. I took 4 guns and was having a great time. We were indoors and it was pretty load which probably didn't help.
    Anyways I had a squib today and didn't catch it. I thought the hammer fell on an empty chamber and I didn't see brass eject when I racked the slide. I didn't feel enough recoil that the brass had ejected but maybe it did.

Also, I find it suspicious that this happened to one of my 1911's on the day I was breaking in my new Glock Hmm.......

My lovely pistol.. these are cell phone pics so not the best.

Slide was locked shut and some gapage at the dust cover. round had went off so I knew the gun was safe at this point and I bagged it and finish shooting with something else. No plastic pieces went flinging about.

Fascinating :(

A little hammering and I was able to turn the barrel bushing and get the gun apart. This is what I found

There is only one bullet in the barrel it floats in the bulged area but I haven't hammered on it hard enough to get it out

Churchmouse if you see this. It was your old range officer.

On the bright side the slide and frame seem fine, only the dust cover is bent by what I can tell. So a little heat, some reshaping and new paint and a barrel I think the gun is salvageable.

Not one of my better days but no one was hurt so it could have been worse. These were full power loads so I thought the gun handled it pretty well

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Looks like Churchmouse got rid of it just in time! What was that quote from P.T. Barnum!?:stickpoke:

Seriously, glad no one was hurt and that the gun is still repairable!

Jinx wesnellans!

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Good that nobody was hurt, that could have gone seriously wrong in a lesser platform. Good thing about those forged frame 1911s. Hopefully everything goes back together smoothly for ya.

I will say, that is a pretty hairy way to justify a new match grade barrel in your 1911 though...

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    So glad you were not hurt.

Those are some of the most pitiful photos I've ever seen. They bring tears to my eyes.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    That gun (1911) was totally pissed off that you had a plastic gun (Glock) with you.....I'll show him why you don't want a plastic gun! :D

My thoughts exactly. :)
    Yea it will live again when I get time to work on it

bass pro

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    west side guy
    Glad to see you were not hurt. A good friend of mine had that happen to a Les Baer and spent 1500.00 in repairs along with a bunch of small scars to his face.

Top Bottom