• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Taking my brother in law to a private range this week for his first time. he is a liberal Californian so we will see how it goes.

My son is coming to visit he and his GF. He said he wants to do some shooting and teach her. She's very liberal, college educated, and scared of firearms. I start by teaching how to field strip the firearm being used in this case my Ruger SR22. Then how to operate it, and safety. Teach how to hold it and load it. Then we head to the back 40 to put live ammunition in and teach how to fire it.

Last edited:

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Get him some training too. He needs to know without thinking how to safely handle a pistol. I've been flagged by too many of new shooters on the range. I don't say this in an antagonistic way, but gun handling 101 is a must take training course for anyone that is new to firearms.

Rick Mason

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2019
    Lake County
    Best of luck to you. I hope you are taking him because he has already expressed a mild interest.

Doubling up on ear-pro (foamies and over the ear) helps with timid newbs.
    We are currently over in the Philippines visiting family. One of the cousins has a range on his farm. My BIL is looking forward to the adventure. He's very gifted with high hand-eye coordination so he should do well.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Best of luck to you. I hope you are taking him because he has already expressed a mild interest.

Doubling up on ear-pro (foamies and over the ear) helps with timid newbs.

For indoor ranges, this is the only thing I shoot with. Ear protection is real, not just for newbs. Unless of course you prefer to shout "WHAT?" later in life.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    For indoor ranges, this is the only thing I shoot with. Ear protection is real, not just for newbs. Unless of course you prefer to shout "WHAT?" later in life.

I shoot outdoors and double up all the time unless I'm only shooting 22.

No, it isn't just for newbs. Newbs don't even seem to consider the option. But, newbs seem to really benefit from the additional protection from the startling noise.

I am a long way off from shooting a box of 357 in someone's backyard without ear-pro, but I still remember my ears ringing for three days.

Sorry if you mis-interpreted my suggestion that double ear-pro is ONLY for newbs. That's not what I meant at all.

The timid part is where the emphasis belonged.

I'm glad we are in agreement, have a nice day!

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I shoot outdoors and double up all the time unless I'm only shooting 22.

No, it isn't just for newbs. Newbs don't even seem to consider the option. But, newbs seem to really benefit from the additional protection from the startling noise.

I am a long way off from shooting a box of 357 in someone's backyard without ear-pro, but I still remember my ears ringing for three days.

Sorry if you mis-interpreted my suggestion that double ear-pro is ONLY for newbs. That's not what I meant at all.

The timid part is where the emphasis belonged.

I'm glad we are in agreement, have a nice day!

Didn't mean to be a jerk on the comment. Yes we both agree. One day not long ago I figured for just a few rounds I could shoot outside without ear protection. Stupidly I did. For about 24 hours, I couldn't hear any song without a super twangy metal sounding ringing pervading the sound. Realized pretty quickly what a stupid mistake I had made.

Rick Mason

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2019
    Lake County
    Keep us posted please. We need some success stories here.

It went exceptionally well. we were joined by a close cousin who had never even been in the same room with a gun before.

Spent 30 minutes going over the four rules and gun operations before heading to the range. Both of them did well, with my BIL doing as superb as I thought he would. Forty years as a professional dancer has given him body control that few people can match. When we finished they were begging for more, which is where you want to leave a new shooter.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    It went exceptionally well. we were joined by a close cousin who had never even been in the same room with a gun before.

Spent 30 minutes going over the four rules and gun operations before heading to the range. Both of them did well, with my BIL doing as superb as I thought he would. Forty years as a professional dancer has given him body control that few people can match. When we finished they were begging for more, which is where you want to leave a new shooter.

Great big:yesway:! Awesome job!

Glad to hear it went well. Every person left with a positive experience is an ally.

Top Bottom