• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    I just got hired on with a trucking company out of Claremont, NC! I'm going to be driving with a trainer for the next 8 weeks, and then I get my own truck and its on to making some decent money! I'll be doing the over-the-road thing for a good while, but I hope to eventually transition into a local or regional driver.

No more pizzas for me! :rockwoot: Just felt like sharing the good news.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Good job sticking with the job hunt! Good luck on the road, I drove OTR for a few years before college, loved it!!

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    Roger that good buddy! Watch out for them smokies!!

Any idea on what kinda rig you'll be driving once you go solo?

I am guessing that he will be driving a Freightliner Columbia.

Congrats on the new job. Your gonna need a whole lot of patience while driving a semi. :twocents:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    Thanks guys! The company I'm working for has a BUNCH of new Freightliner Cascadias, and I'm hoping I end up in one of those. They really don't have any BAD tractors, but I got to drive one of those for my road test, and was really impressed. I think the rest of the fleet is mostly Freightliner Columbias, and a few International Pro Stars.

As to freight, its all dry van 53' trailers. Don't have to screw with reefers or tarping loads. I do have my Hazmat and Tankers endorsements, but didn't have to get them to work here.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    Congrats buddy!

BTW, stay the hell out of the fast lane...That one is for the rest of us.:D

LOL! No worries there...I only use it to pass!

Oh and I forgot to mention...every last one of their trucks has an autoshift transmission. I learned how to double clutch in school, and can do it adequately...but man I love that autoshift in turns, traffic and coming up to lights. Its a PITA for backing, but its just something you've got to get used to.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    What brand of trailers does your company use?

To tell you the truth, I really don't know. I do know that every one I saw in the terminal in Claremont had our logo on it, but I don't know what manufacturer we get them from. When I find out, I'll let ya know. :)

Enjoy Asheville, Indy Guy. I was there a couple weeks back, and its a pretty neat city. Lots of hippies....but still pretty cool.

trad78

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Griffith
    Congrats! If you're ever in NWI and have a problem, give International in Hammond a call, mention INGO and I'll hook you up on prices! (oh yeah, ask for Greg)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    Holy crap...I just got home at 6am this morning, and in the last week and a half, I've been in every state south of New York and east of Mississippi. I waved at you guys when I went through Indiana, but I didn't see any INGO bumper stickers. This job is nuts, but I think I like it! You get to go just about anywhere you could think to go, and get paid for it. The hours are something else, and sometimes traffic sucks, but a bad day on the road is still better than a good day in a store.

Top Bottom