• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    We hit 70 degrees today! I got up early and hit the range for a couple of 50-round drills and some rifle play. I got back to the house around noon and headed out on my bike, not knowing where I was going. All I know is I rode to the back of the Virginia Tech football stadium into a small neighborhood. That road eventually cut off and I ended up on a curvy, but very nice road. I stopped and connected my phone to the auxiliary, so I could get some tunes going. The road was smooth and the music took me back to the days I dreamed about that very moment. I remember making some turns, but all of a sudden I had no idea where I was... and really didn't care.

Eventually I saw a highway that was familiar, but who wants to ride 70 miles an hour when you have no place to be? So I stayed on the unfamiliar road. I got to ride and literally look over the mountain and down into the valleys with hills full of cows in some pastures and horses in others. The 1/4 inch of snow from Wednesday had melted and the aroma of the dew evaporating from the fields was thick in the air. It smelled just like freshly mowed grass.

About two hours later, I decided that I'd better see where I was, so I pulled over to check my GPS. It figures! My phone did not have any connection to the GPS, but the Pandora worked. :dunno: The two usually operate simultaneously, but not today -- stupid Verizon! At this point, I figured I could ask a gas station attendant or just keep riding. So, I kept riding.

Shortly after this I came up I-81 and decided to pass it up. Immediately, I saw a sign that said "Radford Univsrity," which is only two cities over. I would have thought I had gone much farther than that after all that time, but that wasn't the case. I've very used to traveling in straight lines, but today was curves up and down mountains. It was a good ride and I can't wait to head out in a few hours. I can't sleep, so I figured I would put myself to sleep with this post, but I'm more awake than ever.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Aww, Welcome to the club. Nothing like getting lost in the ride. Get use to it, it will happen many times more. I remember a few years ago after working the afternoon shift, me and a few buddies from the club went for a little ride to blow off a little steam. To make a long story short, we left Gary at about 2300 hours. by sunrise somehow we ended up in St. Louis!! When your doing something you really love the miles and hours will fly past you pretty quickly. I'm glad to hear that your enjoying that Harley so much. When people ask me why i ride the way I do, its really hard to explain , isn't it Que??

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Aww, Welcome to the club. Nothing like getting lost in the ride. Get use to it, it will happen many times more. I remember a few years ago after working the afternoon shift, me and a few buddies from the club went for a little ride to blow off a little steam. To make a long story short, we left Gary at about 2300 hours. by sunrise somehow we ended up in St. Louis!! When your doing something you really love the miles and hours will fly past you pretty quickly. I'm glad to hear that your enjoying that Harley so much. When people ask me why i ride the way I do, its really hard to explain , isn't it Que??

It is hard to explain. I've had three bikes prior to this one. Two were crotch-rockets and my last was a Honda Magna. I liked all of them, but I knew I always wanted a bigger bike to travel. I hope to get in a few good rides this summer. Maybe I'll head to Florida. I would love to go to Canada, but I would prefer a partner for a trip like that.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I used to deliver produce to a place just outside Bluefield (VA not WV) Those country roads down there just scream motorcycle ride! Unfortunately, being in a tractor/trailer I was unable to enjoy them as you have.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Please stop posting such wonderful motorcycle stories. I have been wanting one badly for about a year now, and your posts may just put me over the edge and cost me thousands of dollars! :D

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    We hit 70 degrees today! I got up early and hit the range for a couple of 50-round drills and some rifle play. I got back to the house around noon and headed out on my bike, not knowing where I was going. All I know is I rode to the back of the Virginia Tech football stadium into a small neighborhood. That road eventually cut off and I ended up on a curvy, but very nice road. I stopped and connected my phone to the auxiliary, so I could get some tunes going. The road was smooth and the music took me back to the days I dreamed about that very moment. I remember making some turns, but all of a sudden I had no idea where I was... and really didn't care.

Eventually I saw a highway that was familiar, but who wants to ride 70 miles an hour when you have no place to be? So I stayed on the unfamiliar road. I got to ride and literally look over the mountain and down into the valleys with hills full of cows in some pastures and horses in others. The 1/4 inch of snow from Wednesday had melted and the aroma of the dew evaporating from the fields was thick in the air. It smelled just like freshly mowed grass.

About two hours later, I decided that I'd better see where I was, so I pulled over to check my GPS. It figures! My phone did not have any connection to the GPS, but the Pandora worked. :dunno: The two usually operate simultaneously, but not today -- stupid Verizon! At this point, I figured I could ask a gas station attendant or just keep riding. So, I kept riding.

Shortly after this I came up I-81 and decided to pass it up. Immediately, I saw a sign that said "Radford Univsrity," which is only two cities over. I would have thought I had gone much farther than that after all that time, but that wasn't the case. I've very used to traveling in straight lines, but today was curves up and down mountains. It was a good ride and I can't wait to head out in a few hours. I can't sleep, so I figured I would put myself to sleep with this post, but I'm more awake than ever.

I don't have a bike yet, but that was a heck of a description. I read it all. lol.. Thanks for making me want to :spend:toooo!!

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    Im wishing our weather would turn! Now I want to get my Harley out of the garage! Maybe it will get close to 40 today and I can at least start it just to hear the motor run. I love cruising back roads and getting lost in a ride. Its a breath of fresh air. Wishing I was riding!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It is hard to explain. I've had three bikes prior to this one. Two were crotch-rockets and my last was a Honda Magna. I liked all of them, but I knew I always wanted a bigger bike to travel. I hope to get in a few good rides this summer. Maybe I'll head to Florida. I would love to go to Canada, but I would prefer a partner for a trip like that.

You are very close to the Blue Ridge Parkway. I think it starts in Virginia as the Sunset Parkway if memory serves. Ride it the whole way into the smoky's down through Ashville. Let me know what you think after.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I love getting lost.
    I find the greatest places when I'm not looking for them. As long as you can figure out how to get back later when you mean to.
    When I move to a new area, it's the first thing I want to do.

Getting lost is the best way to find yourself. :):

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Ridden in WV before, and headed back for a long weekend of riding the twisty curvy roads over Memorial Day.
    The best rides are just like the one you described...take off and ride, crank some tunes, and worry about how to get back when the time comes.
    You've got all of us in central Indiana jealous when you talk about great roads to ride.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    [video=youtube_share;JJw7EgUUnPE]http://youtu.be/JJw7EgUUnPE[/video]

That sure does have me and the wife wanting to get our bikes out and ride.

The guy riding the bike with the camera was pretty darn close to the guy up front in the curves though. I like to run in a tight formation but that was a little close for my liking.

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    Must be nice to enjoy this weather. I always miss out on the first of the warmth thanks to these darn allergies :xmad:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Take some pics in these places

There really isn't anywhere to stop to get some good pictures, but here are some of today's jaunt to the range and down to Giles County.

20140309_161125_zpsqo2oipbn.jpg

20140309_161138_zpsvrge5a1c.jpg

20140309_161217_zpslwjzgk9p.jpg

20140309_162442_zpswt4aw9aa.jpg

20140309_162455_zps0uj7oaas.jpg

20140309_162721_zpsu91llyqp.jpg

20140309_171311_zpsjw3ryzkv.jpg

20140309_171329_zpswep0vlsp.jpg

20140309_171814_zpsxttvkip1.jpg

Top Bottom