• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • farva118

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Your actions were appropriate for the situation and surroundings. Next time you have a meet, I would discuss the incident with the other father away from the group. I would end that with a calm warning explaining that if it occurred again, a police report would be filed and a protection order would be issued.

That way he would have to explain to his daughter that his actions now prevent them from attending further events with her friends.

BowhuntnHoosier

Angry Old Conservative Fart
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Terre Haute
    I think I would give him a call and meet up for coffe.............at Starbucks of course. And talk it over and explain the laws in our wonderful state.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    I admit I read about twenty posts and then jumped here.

1 - you let someone touch you, meanin g they were close enough to kill you and your kid(s)..

2 - I think letting anyone back you into a corner is actually worse then someone touching you..

3 - It's idiots like the guy who cornered you who are the first ones to sue the county or the state or whomever when their stuff gets ransacked by some thug and their insurance isn't covering it, the entitled perspective if you will..

4 - you were at a public event for an organized group.. If they require you to have a background check done to accompany your child then I would ask them who protects your child if your not there? They won't have an answer so it should shut them up..

5 - I ramble alot so exscuse the long post but it seems you are well within your rights, those who don't understrand that your protecting you and yours are not people you should be around..

If I have any rep left I will rep you, I think you did ok except for the lack of situational awareness, letting someone touch you and back you into a corner.. Just saying..

Hope you and yours are well,

TJ

PS, I am nobody so forget I said anything..

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    1 - you let someone touch you, meanin g they were close enough to kill you and your kid(s)...

Since it was the father of one of the other kids in the same group, I'd probably cut him a little slack in the situational awareness department.

Salvation

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2011
    Hamilton Co
    He assaulted you plain and simple.

With that being said, I wasnt there and may have very well reacted in the same way initially. I certainly would have made the incident very public even after the fact. If they are making you have a background check then this guy probably wont even be asked to submit to one considering he is obviously predisposed to violence. Does the troop really want someone crazy enough to assault a law abiding citizen exercising his 2a and play the odds that they wont defend themselves?

Kev

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Should they be teaching children that homosexuals aren't to be tolerated? If so, if I ever have a daughter please let me know which Girl Scout troop your daughter is in so I can avoid it like the plague. I'd be plenty happy with a child that can think on their own and doesn't go along with bigoted teachings.

This^^^^!

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I don't like to yell infornt of the kids. My daughter and I were out last summer and caught a guy trespassing. I went off on him and it scared her. So I try to keep calm about things. And I didn't figure this was the place or time for it. I would have loved to tell the guy to FO but I didn't. To be honest it caught me off guard.

Good for you!
    Be honest if /when anyone asks about it. Let them know that the other dad was out of place for confronting you like he did!
    As far as I know, there is no rules about not carrying a legally carried weapon while attending a G.S. event. I do know that weapons are not allowed at the G.S. camps, and also, afaik, the only time they do a background check, is if you register as a volunteer, and even then, that has nothing to do with you and your weapon of choice, just a simple criminal background check!
    Congrats on not causing a scene in front of the girls! Have a talk with the dad, and let him know that you didn't appreciate the way he confronted you and that he could have simply asked about your gun without being confrontational! Be the better man, keep calm, and if you choose to explain anything to him, be polite and professional, then if he doesn't like it, let it be HIS problem!

brandonq2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Montgomery county
    Let me preface this by saying I'm not a big man, nor am what I would consider a "billy bad ***." I simply carry myself in a manner that shows confidence, while letting most everyone I meet know that I don't take BS from anyone. I'm almost never a jerk, and almost always very polite, but I don't give an inch on my principles.

It sounds to me like you were very much unprepared for this type of situation. You let the other man take control of the situation, take control of you, and make a very bad example in front of your daughter. I don't believe a fist fight was called for, but you should have absolutely regained control of yourself and him. Don't ask, but TELL him that he is never to touch you without permission again. You shouldn't have to threaten him, or even raise your voice to the point that your daughter could hear you. But you must get your point accross, without any room for misinterpretation.

At that point you can take the conversation any direction you like. I suggest you get some sort of training, and ask yourself how you would have liked to handle the encounter if you could do it again. I don't like to cause a scene, and you can make a person understand a LOT without drawing attention if you do it right. I'm just glad he didn't bend you over his knee and woop you with his belt right there in front of everyone.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I admit I read about twenty posts and then jumped here.

1 - you let someone touch you, meanin g they were close enough to kill you and your kid(s)..

2 - I think letting anyone back you into a corner is actually worse then someone touching you..

3 - It's idiots like the guy who cornered you who are the first ones to sue the county or the state or whomever when their stuff gets ransacked by some thug and their insurance isn't covering it, the entitled perspective if you will..

4 - you were at a public event for an organized group.. If they require you to have a background check done to accompany your child then I would ask them who protects your child if your not there? They won't have an answer so it should shut them up..

5 - I ramble alot so exscuse the long post but it seems you are well within your rights, those who don't understrand that your protecting you and yours are not people you should be around..

If I have any rep left I will rep you, I think you did ok except for the lack of situational awareness, letting someone touch you and back you into a corner.. Just saying..

Hope you and yours are well,

TJ

PS, I am nobody so forget I said anything..

I really don't think the op was in any danger for allowing " someone to touch" him!
    He did good to stay calm and not cause a bigger scene than the idiot already did!

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    "The kind of idiot who cares about his family's safety. Where is your gun?"
    +1 eldirector

I try to be nice to every one I meet, but if you were to put your hands on me and try to scold me like a child for exercising my 2A right, there is going to be some serious butt chewing that would make R. Lee Ermey cry. :twocents:

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    Way to stay calm and let the non event blow over. Yes he wronged you, and he touched you. He broke the law. However, from your explanations of events, IMO you did right by just letting it slide into oblivion and not escalating a situation that was about to end anyway.

68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    Let me preface this by saying I'm not a big man, nor am what I would consider a "billy bad ***." I simply carry myself in a manner that shows confidence, while letting most everyone I meet know that I don't take BS from anyone. I'm almost never a jerk, and almost always very polite, but I don't give an inch on my principles.

It sounds to me like you were very much unprepared for this type of situation. You let the other man take control of the situation, take control of you, and make a very bad example in front of your daughter. I don't believe a fist fight was called for, but you should have absolutely regained control of yourself and him. Don't ask, but TELL him that he is never to touch you without permission again. You shouldn't have to threaten him, or even raise your voice to the point that your daughter could hear you. But you must get your point accross, without any room for misinterpretation.

At that point you can take the conversation any direction you like. I suggest you get some sort of training, and ask yourself how you would have liked to handle the encounter if you could do it again. I don't like to cause a scene, and you can make a person understand a LOT without drawing attention if you do it right. I'm just glad he didn't bend you over his knee and woop you with his belt right there in front of everyone.

I get what you are saying 100%. I think any other reaction on my part would have made a far worse impression on my daughter. Even though I was cornered by a table and wall I could tell this guy was no threat. I admit I was caught off guard but it took half a second to see this guy as just running his mouth. If I thought for a second he was going to try something stupid the outcome would have been much different.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    What kind of an idiot doesn't protect his daughter and doesn't want to let other daughters be protected. Just about every bowling alley I've been too has also had someone that's had too much to drink, regardless of the same time of day. There's also more sex offenders on the streets than in jail, and more criminals on the streets than behind bars (both completed sentences and those who got off with probation or are on parole). So frankly, since it hasn't been said already, thank you for taking on the responsibility of protecting yourself and your family, because I'm much happier reading this, than how someone got some liquid courage, punched a dad and kidnapped a girls scout; there are creeps out there that prey on easy targets in big crowds.

That said, he went hands on with you, for no valid reason; that warrants filing a formal complaint in writing, if not to the girl scouts (probably best for political reasons), then lock it in the car go down to the local PD (that the bowling alley is in) and file a written complaint against him detailing what happened and anyone else that would have seen the incident. I'd understand where he was a "friendly" and so he wasn't triggering your SA, I'd be very much so up on your SA around ANYONE associated with this group for the remainder of your time around them, especially if you are somewhere that you are legally carrying; and keep a few people around so nobody can make false allegations. I'd also think back to the situation and consider he got your arm and had you in a bad spot, could he have gotten your gun; and if yes what would need to change for the future, we read every so often about some smart[rearend] wanting to [educate] a carrier and making a grab for the gun of another person as a way of initiating a [conversation].

You may have some tough choices ahead and you'll likely want to sit your daughter down and explain everything to her if you haven't already, so she understands not only what he did was very very wrong, but why you acted as you did so you didn't escalate things (not sure what age of girls scout she is, but most kids get the concept if you put it in the right words).

And that brings me to my final point, if those girl scouts were 5 years old and you managed to finished the night with your gun still on you even with temporary OC you must be Chuck Norris.

Top Bottom