• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    So it finally came! This gun is so choice. Likely mid-late 70s manufacture by Austin Behlert of Cranford, NJ. These pictures just don't do it justice. The bluing is crisp and shiny, the lines are tight. The only real issue is the worn laminate covering on the grips, but I will soon be looking for customs anyway.

picture.php

This is my first custom, and it is really a piece of 1911 history. Before Commanders were widely available, there were 2 options...a custom cut down (usually an S&W Model 39 or 1911 bob-catted down a la Armand Swenson) or a little later, a Detonics. Either choice was extremely pricey. Behlert was a contemporary of Swenson, and his 1911 and Hi Power mini combats are absolutely incredible. Still pricey (even more so now!) but the machining and finish are absolutely incredible for a 35 year old gun.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Here's a little history from an earlier post when I first located the gun:

For those of you unfamiliar with Behlert's work, he was one of the early 1911 pistol smiths. A contemporary of Charlie Kelsey (Devel), and Armand Swenson, Behlert was early to latch onto the philosophy that smaller guns are easier to conceal. In the early 1970s, Behlert started with S&W Model 39s (about the only small, automatic around at the time) and cut them down. He cut down the barrel length, melted the edges, and added finger grooves. They were popular among police as back-up guns, but Behlert saw the need for more knock-down power and the plethora of surplus 1911s, so he took out his hacksaw and grinder, grabbed some K-frame sights, and went to town. Before Detonics (not Randall) solved the galling problem and was able to produce these pistols in any appreciable number, custom smiths like Behlert, Swenson (the Bobcat), and Kelsey were the only way to go.

In addition to the Smiths and 1911s, Behlert did a handful of Browning Hi-Powers. They are absolutely incredible guns.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    That is very cool. This will be a safe queen, BBQ gun or carry? I wonder... how did he add finger grooves?

It is a shooter, possibly for carry on occasion. BBQ gun is likely the best fit!

The grooves were made by soldering a ring in place and building up to fill in. I read about the process once--a hell of a lot of work, but definitely an interesting conversation piece. Behlert posted a lot on pistolsmith.com towards the end of his life. Incredible stories of work he performed, people he knew, and how he formulated his ideas. He made a few longslide Hi powers years ago. A lot of work for a machinist with no computer.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Here is a crappy picture of the Behlert with my Kimber Series 1 CDP Pro. Barrel length is the same, but the grip has been shaved down. Behlert mag holds 6 rounds. It will accept regular mags though.

I am trying to get my camera to cooperate, but this is good enough for scale.

picture.php

Top Bottom