• Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I got out about 1930. I was told all went well.

But I tell ya what, I would almost rather get shot again than have the bone taken out of my hip!!!:xmad: Damn but that hurts every time I try to walk! Sitting, fine. Laying down, fine. Moving to stand or walking itself, MISERY!

My hand as usual is very nearly pain free but I walk like one of my clients.

I just had some Lee's Famous Recipe for dinner, the first I have eaten in almost 24 hours.

If I can lie still I should be able to sleep well. If I move my hip I am quite certain it will light me up like a Christmas tree.:xmad:

Bone came from my right hip. I have learned if I walk on my tippy toes on the right side the pain is lessened.

Everything bad has happened to my right side; first broken bone from car accident in hand, shot in right hand, and bone removal. It just reminded me of an olde children's poem:

"There was a crooked man, he walked a crooked mile..."

I drove a retired police officer some years ago. He gave me some words of wisdom, "Growin' olde ain't for sissies pal! You gotta toughen' up!" I didn't realize it would hit so fast.

Anyway, much as I WILL gripe about this I still consider myself truly blessed. I live in an era where technology and science can transform what 150 years ago would have been an amputation with a high risk of death from ganggreen into my whining about a sore hip! Some perspective always helps!:rockwoot:

Regards,

Doug

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Best of luck Doug! I know it's gotta suck But you are right. !00 years ago things would be a lot worse. Pain meds are your friend right now. Take it easy.

.458socomhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Tipp Co
    I reply to you viewing your pictures, eating a sandwich. As someone that works in EMS and an ED, I am glad that you to be grateful and taking it in stride. Follow through with rehab. It won't be pleasurable, but you're still here to tell the tale. And from the sounds of it, will retain some or most function in that digit. Your wound is pretty darn well placed compared to where it could have been. Glad you are ok. Best of luck in your recovery!

Steve

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I just returned from the doctors office.

All my stitches have been removed. Yay!

I got a new cast that isolates my damaged finger, but I can take it off to shower so no more plastic bag on the arm. Big YAY!

I will start therapy on Monday and will probably go twice per week, but that is not 100% yet.

I may still need a third surgery. We won't know for certain for about 6 - 8 weeks.

Just moving my other fingers is now very painful. As they have not been used for exactly one (1) month they are very sore to move. Plus it was explained that the swelling had some affect on those fingers as well. So it is looking like pain for a while just in moving fingers that were not directly impacted.

Progress is moving along and all is well in my world.

Regards,

Doug

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Doug,

Sorry for all you've had to go through, but at least you still have all your fingers and are well on the way to full recovery. May the rest of your recovery be speedy and hope the pain subsides quickly for you. I'll be in the same boat as you (surgery recovery) in about 3 weeks.

Madjack181

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Rochester
    Hope all heals well. Had my own hand injury this year that took 25 stitches to put it back together. It seems like it takes for ever to heal and certainly makes you appreciate having a hand that works. Good Luck!

Last edited:

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

It is time to update my experience.

I met with my doc today. As of today my front most knuckle can move a little but I can't make it move much. The knuckle attached to the wrist works pretty good. I can type at least. The middle knuckle, however, is an issue. I can't make it move either from within or by exerting force.

Therefore, on June 15th I will be going under the knife for the third time. The doc is going to remove all of the metal and scrape out scar tissue that has won the opening offensive. I have to schedule therapy for the very next day to continue a counterattack that should hopefully give me about 50% movement out of that knuckle. I hope to prove his estimate wrong in the long run, but it IS good to know what should be expected.

I will be the first one in surgery that day and he has scheduled two (2) hours for it, so I should be able to give some sort of update later that day.

As things have been going there isn't much pain. I tried to do some work yesterday cutting some wood and throwing it on a pile. Fairly quickly my right hand got very sore and I backed off. I was and am willing to push through some pain, especially with therapy, but when it starts to get really bad I hope I know when to back off. Hopefully in the long run I will push harder and harder to get a majority of movement back.

I consider myself very lucky to have been born when I was! I live in a day and age when a finger can be saved with most of the bone gone. I live in a day and age when a visit to the dentist doesn't require large quantities of whiskey BEFORE you pass out. I have a great doctor who can answer questions and explain things very well, while at the same time not dismissing my thoughts.

The only real downside to getting shot when I did was that it should have been much earlier in the year, that way I wouldn't be hit with the deductible twice!:( Other than that, all is good and I am still slowly on the mend.

Regards,

Doug

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Best of luck, I feel your pain, my little finger is mostly metal vs bone ... like you said work through the pain during P.T. it's worth it in the long run.

Top Bottom