I got to do some shooting with the Grendel today.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Hi all.

I Loaded up some rounds for the Grendel. I used 123 gr Hornady sst over 27.5 gr of H335 It started out really good. I was getting 2304 to 2346 in the first two strings then things started to drop off to 2277 to 2318. The 2318 was the last round in the 3rd set. The last set was all under 2294 slowest being 2277. All I could come up with is the barrel don't like being dirty.

Now all this is out of a 16" lite Alexander Arms 16" barrel. I am very pleased with the results. I am going to kick it up to 28gr and see what kind of FPS I will get. I am hoping it will give me my target load of 2350 F.P.S. or better. That will give me just short of 1000 Ft/Lbs of energy out at 300 yards. Not to shabby for a 16" barrelled AR.

I understand that to get to the 2600 FPS that the round is capable of you need a 24" barrel. I just didn't want that long or heavy of a AR for hunting. I don't think I will get a shot over 200 yards at my son's place so this rig should work well.

Accuracy was good with that load. I was getting .75 and up to 1.25" groups. Then I wasn't working for small groups at this stage. It is good to know it's capable of good accuracy. I have some better brass coming and also what I am told is better powder for the Grendel.

I had planed to zero in a other build I did. It's a 5.56 with a 18" barrel. I screwed up when I put the scope on. I must have had my head where the sun don't shine because I tightened the scope down to where the adjusting ring was hitting the scope base. I had to file off some of the base and some of the adjusting ring to get it till you could move the adjusting ring. The ring I am talking about is the one that adjust form 3 power to 12 power. It works fine now. I just have to put some paint on the parts I trimmed.

I got it close to zero. They say we are going to get some rain tomorrow so I will have to get back to it when it isn't going to rain. I hope that will be Monday. I have loaded up five different powders to try on it. I will be looking for the best group for it.

All in all not a bad day. If it hadn't been for the scope goof I could have been shooting all day. Now I have to go clean guns.

You all have a great day. I did.

Top Bottom