• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    They've got to strike while the emotions are at the boil and they know it. They're doing their best to get and keep people all lathered up about saving our children. Sad thing is, if they were able to get something in the works now, it'd probably pass.

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    Yep. If they're a buyin guns in Co-lo-radie........gun bans don't exist! ::rolleyes::

Try multiple sales to individuals and few first time buyers. Not saying a ban is imminent, but the threat is real.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Maybe it's naivety but I just don't think this rhetoric will produce any significant negative changes in gun laws. I try to come up with a law in my head that would have prevented this and I cannot. The anti's arguments are LOUD but the one thing they cannot say is..."XXX law would have prevented this." While I hope some positive attention towards mental health issues is always a plus, I don't see THAT having a difference here either. Millions of people suffer mental illnesses of one sort or another. But we can't lock them up for being mentally ill. It is a very long and hard road to have a person committed against their will via a probate judge, seen it quite a few times. Locking the school didn't work either since her forced his way in. Since we cannot predict WHO is broken enough to commit crimes like these and we cannot keep them out of the schools if they are determined to get in. The only course of action I see as feasible and effective is someone INSIDE the school capable of neutralizing the threat. Be it a teacher, custodian, principal, police, etc. I don't care WHO as long at the person is willing to take that responsibility on. Gun control will do SQUAT.

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    Name a logical restrictive gun law. 30 seconds - GO!

They don't want effective legislation they want the.gov to step in and take ACTION! They want the "microwave burrito" solution - quick and satisfying for about an hour.

Maybe it's naivety but I just don't think this rhetoric will produce any significant negative changes in gun laws. I try to come up with a law in my head that would have prevented this and I cannot. The anti's arguments are LOUD but the one thing they cannot say is..."XXX law would have prevented this." While I hope some positive attention towards mental health issues is always a plus, I don't see THAT having a difference here either. Millions of people suffer mental illnesses of one sort or another. But we can't lock them up for being mentally ill. It is a very long and hard road to have a person committed against their will via a probate judge, seen it quite a few times. Locking the school didn't work either since her forced his way in. Since we cannot predict WHO is broken enough to commit crimes like these and we cannot keep them out of the schools if they are determined to get in. The only course of action I see as feasible and effective is someone INSIDE the school capable of neutralizing the threat. Be it a teacher, custodian, principal, police, etc. I don't care WHO as long at the person is willing to take that responsibility on. Gun control will do SQUAT.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    All this panic buying does is to reinforce to the anti's that gunowners have accepted that new gunlaws/bans are coming and that there is nothing they can do but get theirs while they can.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Police/Sheriff Substation??

Good points Denny.
    What would be your thoughts on a small LEO Substation in schools?
    This could be a small office, just inside the main entrance, that Officers would be in+out of during the course of their shift.
    May?? be a thought to always have a patrol car outside of that entrance during school hours-LEO or NOT??
    In my county (Hancock) the Sheriff's Dept. put a substation at I-70+Mt.Comfort Rd., in a plaza with a Speedway+Subway store. They did that to help on the response time+to have a place for the Leo's to get out of their unit for awhile+do paperwork. I see "State Boys" in there at times also.

Could this work in schools??
    Thanks..Bill.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I was watching an interview on FOX, CNN...I really don't recall. However, it was a 3 person round table with a pro-gun, anti-gun (from Brady) and a libertarian. The guy from Brady admitted that the AWB made NO difference and that he thought better back grounds would be their focus. I was astonished that he admitted that after being confronted with the stats by the libertarian. I WISH I could remember more about it so I could find the video.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Good points Denny.
    What would be your thoughts on a small LEO Substation in schools?
    This could be a small office, just inside the main entrance, that Officers would be in+out of during the course of their shift.
    May?? be a thought to always have a patrol car outside of that entrance during school hours-LEO or NOT??
    In my county (Hancock) the Sheriff's Dept. put a substation at I-70+Mt.Comfort Rd., in a plaza with a Speedway+Subway store. They did that to help on the response time+to have a place for the Leo's to get out of their unit for awhile+do paperwork.

Could this work in schools??
    Thanks..Bill.
    I like the idea but I still think we should be careful to NOT make the school a police station where all sorts of questionable people show up looking for us. If you see police cars out front, police are there. If they are gone, no police inside. I like the idea that a criminal has to guess who inside is the threat.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I try to come up with a law in my head that would have prevented this and I cannot.

To follow up on what Denny states, please remember that CT HAS an AWB in place. The weapon the murderer used was governmentally-approved to be AWB compliant.

Name a logical restrictive gun law.

No guns for those that are criminally inclined or mentally unbalanaced.

Other than this laws against THINGS will be doomed to failure.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Name a logical restrictive gun law. 30 seconds - GO!

They don't want effective legislation they want the.gov to step in and take ACTION! They want the "microwave burrito" solution - quick and satisfying for about an hour.

Yeah, I couldn't name one either:rolleyes:

A law will be drafted, attached to a "must pass" bill, like the debt ceiling being raised, and rammed down our throats, or up our, well, you know...

The majority of people in this country have entrusted their personal safety to the government. They have no use for a firearm of any kind, and do not understand why you do.

I'm not usually such a pessimist, but I just don't see how this ends well for us:twocents:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Could be effective but DAMN hard to enforce. Aka, the Jake Laird law we have here.

I concur. The prohibitions constitutionally have to be applied retroactively to avoid prior restraint complications.

In the words of the Arkansas Supreme Court:

"If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege."

As to what is to be done about lunatics:

1. Stop aiding and abetting their spree shootings by eliminating gun-free zones and allows schools to address their security by having teachers carry, having private security, having volunteers, inter alia.

2. encourage a healthy gun culture (for good guys), by which I mean one that encourages training (my pet hobby horse making training tax deductible, above the line) to prevent these sprees.

3. prevent the deinstitutionalization of the mentally ill. (in order to pay for the Welfare State politicians had to cut some places, mental health was first on the block).

4. narrow the focus of the state (both federal and state) so that prosecutors focus on acts of the criminal rather than status offenses.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Kirk's right. One thing we all need to keep in mind is in a free society you can never be completely safe. Someone has to be allowed to commit their first crime. If you try to prevent the initial crime then you have to take away rights from everyone. If you give up liberty for safety, you deserve neither (and stuff, per Benny F.)

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    No guns for those that are criminally inclined or mentally unbalanaced.

Other than this laws against THINGS will be doomed to failure.

Criminally inclined? Like someone who would hide a Glock 23 in a Nixon bio while living in Chicago? :)

It's hard to charge someone with pre-crime unless you have a system like the movie Minority Report. Sometimes 1st offenders are the worst offenders.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Yep. If they're a buyin guns in Co-lo-radie........gun bans don't exist! ::rolleyes::

Try multiple sales to individuals and few first time buyers. Not saying a ban is imminent, but the threat is real.

Do you know that this is the profile of all of these purchasers? Assuming it were true, for the sake of argument, does it change anything I said?

I don't recall saying the threat for a ban wasn't real, just that the people apparently don't support it as the media would have us believe. If they did, they'd be turning them in at buy-backs or selling them, not scooping up more.

All this panic buying does is to reinforce to the anti's that gunowners have accepted that new gunlaws/bans are coming and that there is nothing they can do but get theirs while they can.
    That's a potential consequence, but I don't think it has that much influence on policy-making. They passed Obamacare in the face of majority opposition after all.

All we know is that background checks for purchases are up. One could just as easily argue that people are becoming acutely aware of the evil in world and deciding to do something more pro-active about it.

The point is that more people are buying more firearms. That doesn't jibe with a populace that wants to have firearms removed from our society in the absolute.

ecross0351

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    Australia banned guns, cost the tax payers 500 million to destroy them, then armed robbery rose 44% thats odd

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    In the words of the Arkansas Supreme Court:

"If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege."
    I was enjoying that quote up until the last word.

Top Bottom