• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Have the horror stories, we've all heard about over the years, conditioned us to adopt a zero-tolerance for kids to be left in a car, for any length of time, for any set of conditions? I remember sitting in the car while my parents went shopping and having grown up in Tennessee, it was often HOT! Of course, they didn't roll the windows up, save for a crack of an couple of inches. But to me and my brother, we'd much rather sit out in a hot car than have to follow around mom and dad while they went shopping.

Having said that, I'm not suggesting there's never a time to intervene. There certainly is (as we've all heard or read about in the news). There's stupid people out there and they do stupid/dangerous things. But I'm not comfortable with a zero-tolerance with kids being left alone in a car.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Good job OP. A child that young should not have been left in the car in that situation. Its good you care enough to stay back and wait. Though it seems like some INGO members would drive off not caring of the childs well being. I mean come on even Obama said the children are our future!! :patriot:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sounds like steveh_131 is the type that would just walk right on by while some woman's being raped.

Funny, that. It's interesting to see the standard of who being a good neighbor should apply to. Video tape and upload to youtube a neighbor struggling to start a mower and not helping is ok. Not intervening in situations that involve people "like us" means we'd watch a woman get raped while hiding in our basement.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I really don't think a two year old understands why Mommy is yelling and cussing at him in a grocery store. I also doubt they would understand when someone tells his mother how inappropriate she is acting. I do think they would understand that Mommy suddenly shut up and started acting like a human.
    Yep, they understand all right. They understand that force, violence, and loud, mean words are the way to get results. You just validated mom's behavior. Kudos.

So you would just let this happen..........Really.
    Let what happen?

mbafta

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Warrick Co.
    After the young mother left the scene to a safe place she probably called the police to report a creeper in the parking lot stalking young women...:D Really though...times have changed since I was a youngin'.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Yep, they understand all right. They understand that force, violence, and loud, mean words are the way to get results. You just validated mom's behavior. Kudos.

Let what happen?

:n00b: I don't remember saying that I used force, violence, loud, or mean words. The mother was most certainly using loud and mean words on her toddler. I, as a stranger, simply walked up and told her how horrible she was acting. There was no screaming, force, or violence involved.

It would seem to me that the child saw that someone who was acting quite calmly simply spoke with his mother and she suddenly stopped being an a-hole.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    :n00b: I don't remember saying that I used force, violence, loud, or mean words. The mother was most certainly using loud and mean words on her toddler. I, as a stranger, simply walked up and told her how horrible she was acting. There was no screaming, force, or violence involved.
    My bad. My recollection of the conversation and comments evolved in my head to something it was not. I stand corrected on that point.

On the other hand, you did undermine the mother's authority and you did try to tell her how to raise her kids. And THAT is where the root of nanny-ism takes hold (hence my original comment). You didn't intercede because you felt compassion for the woman and her kids and wanted to help her. You stuck your nose in someone else's business because you didn't like the way she was doing something and you wanted her to change.

It would seem to me that the child saw that someone who was acting quite calmly simply spoke with his mother and she suddenly stopped being an a-hole.

For the time being. I don't think you had near the effect you think you had.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    My bad. My recollection of the conversation and comments evolved in my head to something it was not. I stand corrected on that point.

On the other hand, you did undermine the mother's authority and you did try to tell her how to raise her kids. And THAT is where the root of nanny-ism takes hold (hence my original comment). You didn't intercede because you felt compassion for the woman and her kids and wanted to help her. You stuck your nose in someone else's business because you didn't like the way she was doing something and you wanted her to change.

For the time being. I don't think you had near the effect you think you had.

I don't care if she stopped belittling and treating her children horribly for five minutes, it was worth it. Someday, maybe someday, she will think about it and change.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I don't care if she stopped belittling and treating her children horribly for five minutes, it was worth it. Someday, maybe someday, she will think about it and change.

based on my experiences with abusive parents, you probably just pissed off and embarrassed her and she took it out on the child later on, in private.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    based on my experiences with abusive parents, you probably just pissed off and embarrassed her and she took it out on the child later on, in private.

And that is the very reason that the few times I have seen parents acting truly horribly to their children, I choose not to say anything. I may cast a very nasty glare at the parent and so far that has done the trick...at least temporarily. I will never actually intervene (barring VERY extreme circumstances). That is often times a great way to make it even worse for the kid.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Worth it to whom? She may be an awful mom, but you aren't much better, Mr. Selfish. You just felt compelled to make her change to suit your wishes. I hope you're right and you touched a nerve. Somehow I doubt it. Insulting people isn't how Carnegie suggesta winning friends and influencing people. I'm fairly certain it also isn't all that productive in motivating them to change their behavior either.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    How interesting would it have been if while you were putting hammer to window, she gave you a not so subtle double tap?

Once upon a time, very few things trumped a parents discretion. Now it seems that if a parent scolds their child, they run the risk of the state collecting their children.

How did it happen that the village that raises a child (in context, maintains discipline) become the village policing the actions of the parental units by what any individual villager deems inappropriate?

If there is not imminent danger (I am not so certain that 80 degree temp passes muster), I would find it to be insulting for someone to offer their unsolicited opinion of my parenting skills much less bust out my windows.

Having said that, I would not leave my g-kids in an unattended car due to the risk of kidnapping. That would be my concern. If someone else does not have that concern, I have no right to project my unacceptable risk threshold on another.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Have the horror stories, we've all heard about over the years, conditioned us to adopt a zero-tolerance for kids to be left in a car, for any length of time, for any set of conditions? I remember sitting in the car while my parents went shopping and having grown up in Tennessee, it was often HOT! Of course, they didn't roll the windows up, save for a crack of an couple of inches. But to me and my brother, we'd much rather sit out in a hot car than have to follow around mom and dad while they went shopping.

Having said that, I'm not suggesting there's never a time to intervene. There certainly is (as we've all heard or read about in the news). There's stupid people out there and they do stupid/dangerous things. But I'm not comfortable with a zero-tolerance with kids being left alone in a car.

I agree. I have become very sensitive to this just because of the idiots last summer that left kids (I mean 1 and under) in brutal heat. I believe there were a few that did not make it. I can not put myself in the LEO or firemen's mind that had to deal with this.
    There is a HUGE diff. between this and the freaked out lawnmower lady.

Top Bottom