• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    Well I got my new Hornady LNL AP set up and ran about 50 rounds through it, love it but with the case and bullets loading on the same side I have a hard time going between the two...getting old I guess.. So with Midway having their sale on the case loader ending today, I decided I just had to have one, so it's on it's way with the assorted case feeder plates I need...

Expected delivery 8/8, man I hate waiting...

Yote69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Logansport
    I agree that the waiting part is no fun but I don't seem to order until I need/want it and it makes the waiting game seem longer.

I'm looking to get a new progressive. Either a Dillon 550 or a Hornady AP. How was the AP to setup? How well did it function? Any issues with powder charges?

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    First let me say I sold about a year ago a Dillon 550 that I bought in 85, so I am very familiar with how Dillons work. The AP was easy to set up and I really like their method of die changing, I bought a 10 pack of the adapters and I'm ready to go for 4 calibers, $40 I think, about what Dillon wants for one of the upper plates if I remember right. The powder measure is the same as I've used for years on my single stage RCBS setup, just that it's painted red. I've found it to be very consistent on the AP once you get the powder settled in it. I've found that most presses that have the measure attached will throw heavier as the powder packs. Usually I fill it about half way and tap it for a minute or so to get the powder settled, then check every ten or so till it settles down and throws right, then as long as you keep it filled and try not to let it go below a quarter full they seem to stay very consistent.

I broke my Lyman 450 tonight and so went ahead and loaded up another 50 rounds and I think once the case loader gets here this will be the best press I've ever used. I highly recommend the AP, with the 5 stations, the used primer dump tube, auto index, and I really like the method of holding the cartridge in the shell plate, much easier to use than the Dillon pin method.

Hazwhopper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    I still have a RCBS single stage press. I would like to get a Dillion because of the no BS warranty. I have a Mec Grabber with Hydraulic assist. It works great. I will try the powder charge setup as you stated.
    The one reason I didn't like the powder charge on the Mec is because it seemed no matter how I tried to adjust it, it was different charge all the time. So I load 5 cases and then cycle them through the loader.
    Thanks

Top Bottom