• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Open for opinions and discussion for all. It is U.S. political based and I believe I'm in the right section. I have no answer to this. It's why I'm asking. Here it goes.
    How can we, the people of a Nation expect to hold goverment, states, police, powers that be or whatever we want to call it, responsible for upholding rights and laws that we do not abide by ourselves? I've seen soooooooooo many people in public cry rights while they themselves violate others.
    This is complicated politics and everyone is certainly welcome to respond with their opinion and even criticize the question if you wish. Your free to do so. It's only discussion.:patriot:

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I don't think it's complicated at all. As P.J. O'Rourke put it, there are just 2 rules in civilized society: mind your own business, and keep your hands to yourself. All else is just people grabbing power.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    It's double speak.

People are lost, and they know it. I know it.

We try to grasp to what will save us.

Unfortunately, we have special interests groups, which are NOT acting in the best interest of America or her children.

This country needs a purging.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I would say the country is going down because people have largely convinced themselves that these rules and their obvious corollaries are insufficient. Almost nobody is willing to leave well enough alone when so-and-so is perceived to be doing better (or sometimes worse) than everyone else.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Uhh. I don't know. It kind of sounds irrelevant to the question don't you think?
    I'm not sure, thats why I'm asking.

I believe Fletch's first posted wholly relevant to your question. We have mindless idiots out there who see what they perceive to be a problem. So they jump in head first coming
    up with a "solution" to the perceived problem
    giving absolutely zero thought about the
    consequences of their fix. Many times, the fix
    is worse than the problem.

The point is that many of our rules and regulations should not exist in the first place. We have so many laws that simply getting out of bed in the morning makes you a criminal.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I don't think it's complicated at all. As P.J. O'Rourke put it, there are just 2 rules in civilized society: mind your own business, and keep your hands to yourself. All else is just people grabbing power.

Great quote!

Most every generation has thought that civilization was going downhill during their time. For the first time in my life, this year has been "scary" in what could happen with the out of control spending, debt, production moving out of country, all of the regulations that don't allow us to take advantage of our resources, etc.

All I can do is stick to my principles, which are classical Liberal in nature like the Founders, hopefully vote the bums out of either party, and hope for the best.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Do you think crime plays a major role in setting these laws that get in the way of our rights?
    It does insofar as the following scenario occurs:

1) Crime, like ****, happens
    2) Politician expresses concern (real or feigned) over the fact that crime happens
    3) Politician rallies the folks who are terrified of crime happening by promising to keep them safe from crime, if only they'll accept some small intrusion against their rights
    4) Said folks rush to the polls, eager to hand over their own rights, oblivious to or uncaring of the fact that they are also handing over the rights of those who would rather not hand them over
    5) Go to step 1.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    It does insofar as the following scenario occurs:

1) Crime, like ****, happens
    2) Politician expresses concern (real or feigned) over the fact that crime happens
    3) Politician rallies the folks who are terrified of crime happening by promising to keep them safe from crime, if only they'll accept some small intrusion against their rights
    And in the meantime, they're lobbying to abolish your 2nd Amendment right.
    Am I on the right track?

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    And in the meantime, they're lobbying to abolish your 2nd Amendment right.
    Am I on the right track?
    Yes, generally speaking. I'm probably heretical in this opinion for this forum, but there are other rights far more important than 2nd Amendment rights, which are being destroyed at a far greater rate. The 2nd Amendment is a right of last resort, but focusing solely on it is missing the forest for the trees.

Top Bottom