• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    And I have now had a chance to take the 1911 to the range.

Ran 100 rounds through it. Well, I ran 92 and a friend of mine ran 8.

First, as with other 1911's I've shot (mostly range rentals) it just fits my hand nicely, either shooting one handed or two handed. Well, I did break down and replace the flat mainspring housing with an arched one before I even shot it. Again, I found in previous ones that the arched housing fits my hand a bit better.

I can't speak to accuracy. Truth is, I'm not good enough to judge the gun. I can, however, say that sight picture was really easy to acquire and the sights that came with the gun made getting good sight alignment easy and fast. The 100 rounds went through smoothly, with nary a burble. Just bam, bam, bam, bam, bam, bam, bam, bam with slide locking back on the eighth shot, reload, release the slide, repeat.

There are three things I'd really like at the moment. The first is to maybe reduce trigger pull (it's currently right on 8 lbs). I'd like adjustable sights--although I'm not willing to trade that easy sight picture to get them. I'd also like an extended slide stop, but since this is intended as a carry gun (once that license arrives) snagging could be an issue with that.

On the whole and in my rather inexperienced opinion, I give it 4 out of 5 stars.

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    Glad you enjoy it! I was looking into one as well, but when I was in the market for a 1911 they were not available yet (about 3 years ago). I ended up going with a Kimber Custom II...Love my Kimber and won't get rid of it, but have always had my eye on having a one join my collection... Just need to convince the "Boss" of it's need. lol Congrats!

fpdshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Fishers
    I too have been eyeing these. Please keep us up to date on how it performs. Any problems, malfunctions, etc.

Last edited:

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Well, another range trip and another 50 rounds without a bit of a problem. At the moment, Indiana law being what it is, range trips are going to be a bit sparce until my LTCH arrives. Shooting a little low and to the left. Don't know yet whether that's a matter a sight adjustment or if it's me. I need to shoot from rest a couple times to see which.

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    Shooting low and left can likely be caused by trigger finger pull, as opposed to a straight back "press" be mindful to "press" the trigger gently rearward and let the shot break surprise you. otherwise you are antipicipating the recoil and moving p.o.i. as a compensation.
    Also I am not sure but I thought the Taurus PT1911 has an adjustable trigger. Maybe check with your owners manual and see how to adjust it. It may be that it will only adjust for reset and not pull weight but I would look into it anyway.

OH and :rockwoot:CONGRATS :rockwoot: on your new aquisition!!!!
    I had one that i intended for carry but I found that I would catch the ambi safety on things I would brush against and at one time I released the safety un-intentionally... I never carried it again. From that experience I determined that I will not carry any (1911 style) gun with an ambi-safety.

munky_3434

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Brazil, IN
    Well, another range trip and another 50 rounds without a bit of a problem. At the moment, Indiana law being what it is, range trips are going to be a bit sparce until my LTCH arrives. Shooting a little low and to the left. Don't know yet whether that's a matter a sight adjustment or if it's me. I need to shoot from rest a couple times to see which.

i think low and to the left is taurus's signature. my buddies shoots identical(him and i both noticed low and left) nice to hear no malfunctions. that was the only hiccup with his for about the first 100 or 200 rounds we had a few(breaking it in really). for the price they are dammned great guns though. i wish i was'nt poor so i could get one too :yesway:

Top Bottom