• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I have not seen this topic covered so I thought I would bring it up, if it has so sue me it is a very good point:

A lot of career and professional criminals know the response time of LEOs, so that begs the question do you know the response time of your local LEOs?

I do
    2010-12-01%2006.20.47.jpeg

as a wise man once said never tell all your secrets for then you are no longer needed. That's part of what someone might meet coming in the door, oh and my skinning knife I tucked in the pants this morning.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    A lot of career and professional criminals know the response time of LEOs, so that begs the question do you know the response time of your local LEOs?
    What's your point? IMHO, it honestly doesn't really mean much if you "know the response time of your local LEOs". I say that for a couple reasons.

Their response time varies on a lot of factors, including how close the nearest available unit is, time of day, how busy they are, the priority of your call, roadway conditions, traffic levels etc. So I don't think any one person can truly say they "know" the response time of their local LEOs.

I also say that because if your life really depends on it, good chances are their response time, no matter how fast it is, won't be fast enough, and you're responsible for your own safety.

That leads me to my next point. Did you really just come onto a discussion forum full of firearms enthusiasts and "gun-toters" to make a point about why you should keep firearms in the home? I think you're preaching to the choir. ;)

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Good question! Brownsburg is pretty quick. 5 minutes or less. That brings both the 'burg's police and County deputies.

I also have 2 Hendricks Co. deputies (and one B-burg fireman) in the neighborhood. Having patrol cars parked out front (and overflowing into the street on poker night) is a nice deterrent.

Looks like you and I handle minutes zero through five in a similar fashion.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    What's your point? IMHO, it honestly doesn't really mean much if you "know the response time of your local LEOs". I say that for a couple reasons.

Actually I think it does mean a lot. For instance one of the first things I taught my wife was that 911 was practically useless in our area for LEO. If you call in they argue over which county should respond unless you say well just send an ambulance instead and I will take care of it. The local town marshall has two counties in his town to cover and is usually dispatched to any and all local calls as he is deputized to both counties so if he is the closest unit and there was already a call he might otherwise be unavailable.

That leads me to my next point. Did you really just come onto a discussion forum full of firearms enthusiasts and "gun-toters" to make a point about why you should keep firearms in the home? I think you're preaching to the choir. ;)

There are many enthusiasts that aren't gun toters and leave all their defense capabilities behind a time consuming combination or lock and key instead of a biometric hand gun vault by the bedside or carry on their hip around their household.

Long story short I do think this is an important point that needs to be brought up ESPECIALLY since this is a gun owner forum. Keep in mind not all people that end up here and in this thread are gun owners yet.

Last edited:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    We live outside city limits with only a few County Sheriff's Deputies. Response time and number responding will not be great.

That is why the 00 Buck in the Mossberg has two Glock backups.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    My local LEO is a part time town marshall. Response time is good if he isn't working since I can see his house from my back door. If he is at his other job then response time depends on if he has a deputy at the time (they come and go) and whether or not the deputy is working his other job.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Response time

Five minutes will seem like an eternity when you're up to your neck in alligators. So will three minutes. Heck, if the things go real bad, Scotty can't beam you the police quick enough. I am absolutely not blaming the police it's just a matter of fact. They can't be everywhere. So........you'd best be prepared to handle things yourself until they can get there.

I had a recording of a 911 call reference an incident in rural Oklahoma. Officers were dispatched immediately upon the lady calling about a guy beating on her patio door in the middle of the night. Unfortunately, one officer was from the next county and I believe they had to call the other one at home. The 911 call lasted an hour before officers arrived. During that time, the bad guy broke the patio door glass, started to enter the house, and the lady killed him. It's chilling to say the least. I probably have it saved. I'll try to find it.

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Looks like your shotty is having trouble with FTF, FTE.
    You might want to get it looked at as that will hamper your response time.

The problem could be solved by placing the shells in the correct direction...

Please visit your local gun shop and have them show you how to properly load it... That being said, can I have your address? :draw:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Actually I think it does mean a lot. For instance one of the first things I taught my wife was that 911 was practically useless in our area for LEO. If you call in they argue over which county should respond unless you say well just send an ambulance instead and I will take care of it. The local town marshall has two counties in his town to cover and is usually dispatched to any and all local calls as he is deputized to both counties so if he is the closest unit and there was already a call he might otherwise be unavailable.

There are many enthusiasts that aren't gun toters and leave all their defense capabilities behind a time consuming combination or lock and key instead of a biometric hand gun vault by the bedside or carry on their hip around their household.

Long story short I do think this is an important point that needs to be brought up ESPECIALLY since this is a gun owner forum. Keep in mind not all people that end up here and in this thread are gun owners yet.
    The point I was trying to make is that you came here only a month ago, then you post something that is so plainly obvious to most all gun-owners. This isn't anything new, anybody with half a brain knows that LEO response times are not fast enough to save you in a life or death situation. As a matter of fact, I would bet that if you searched, this very topic could be found in old posts here. Hence the "preaching to the choir" comment.

Sure, everybody needs to hear it, but it's their responsibility to seek it out. We can't just post the same old stuff time after time, after time, just so all the new members get to see it too.

Do you get my drift now?

Not trying to attack you, just making a point.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Five minutes will seem like an eternity when you're up to your neck in alligators. So will three minutes. Heck, if the things go real bad, Scotty can't beam you the police quick enough. I am absolutely not blaming the police it's just a matter of fact. They can't be everywhere. So........you'd best be prepared to handle things yourself until they can get there.

I had a recording of a 911 call reference an incident in rural Oklahoma. Officers were dispatched immediately upon the lady calling about a guy beating on her patio door in the middle of the night. Unfortunately, one officer was from the next county and I believe they had to call the other one at home. The 911 call lasted an hour before officers arrived. During that time, the bad guy broke the patio door glass, started to enter the house, and the lady killed him. It's chilling to say the least. I probably have it saved. I'll try to find it.

That call wasn't as chilling as an much less response call where the lady wasn't armed. When the man broke in, the sound of her getting beaten and raped over the open 911 phone line was more disturbing than a perp getting shot.

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3vWsa4ags

Edit: Is this the one you were talking about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4Z_2oU9B2o

Slightly different outcome.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I thought he had a valid question :dunno:

If an ambulance is 5 minutes away, applying pressure to a wound is a good start. 30 minutes away might encourage me to get a bit more training.

If the cops are 5 minutes away, simply barricading a door might be enough. 30 minutes away might encourage me to get more training and come up with a better plan.

If the fire department is 5 minutes away, smoke alarms and an evacuation place might be good enough. 30 minutes away might encourage me take more precautions and have my own fire fighting system in place.

As this board grows, topics are going to get re-hashed a lot. That's just the nature of the beast. Us "old timers" can either embrace the n00bs, or gripe at them for not searching before posting.

pig957

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Under an oppressive government

Their response time varies on a lot of factors, including how close the nearest available unit is, time of day, how busy they are, the priority of your call, roadway conditions, traffic levels etc. So I don't think any one person can truly say they "know" the response time of their local LEOs.

I also say that because if your life really depends on it, good chances are their response time, no matter how fast it is, won't be fast enough, and you're responsible for your own safety.

CountryBoy19 is correct. There are just too many varibles to response times.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    the shells were staged that way/fell that way I got up about 2 hours early this morning and just felt like getting everything out and wiping them down while the kiddos were still sleeping. Just because I joined a month ago doesn't mean I haven't lurked or anything else for that matter.
    Sure, everybody needs to hear it, but it's their responsibility to seek it out. We can't just post the same old stuff time after time, after time, just so all the new members get to see it too.

Do you get my drift now?

Not trying to attack you, just making a point.

Sure seems that way if you have to state that your not, kind of like saying not meaning to be rude but (insert some rude statement here). Just stating how I see it. If you think this thread is so absurd you have left your :twocents: it is what it is.

At any rate I started this because I knew the response time would be better measured in quarters of hours for my location instead of minutes and have never had a second thought of it. But I have seen many people commenting on the news channels facebook and webpages about how awful the police are and why aren't they getting their faster. Just because you or I don't have a second thought of it doesn't mean that other people think about it.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I thought he had a valid question :dunno:

If an ambulance is 5 minutes away, applying pressure to a wound is a good start. 30 minutes away might encourage me to get a bit more training.

If the cops are 5 minutes away, simply barricading a door might be enough. 30 minutes away might encourage me to get more training and come up with a better plan.

If the fire department is 5 minutes away, smoke alarms and an evacuation place might be good enough. 30 minutes away might encourage me take more precautions and have my own fire fighting system in place.

As this board grows, topics are going to get re-hashed a lot. That's just the nature of the beast. Us "old timers" can either embrace the n00bs, or gripe at them for not searching before posting.
    But the same argument can be made (and is what I attempted to make in my very first reply) that it doesn't matter what your "average" response time is because you never know when that time may double, triple, or even more. So wouldn't getting the training and putting the proper systems in place be good anyways?

My point was that response time is unpredictable at best (and apparently many others thought so as well based upon all the rep I got off my reply) so you should be prepared for a slow response no matter what, then any faster response than expected is a "bonus" for you.

Sure seems that way if you have to state that your not, kind of like saying not meaning to be rude but (insert some rude statement here). Just stating how I see it. If you think this thread is so absurd you have left your :twocents: it is what it is.
    Trust me, if I was trying to attack you, you would know it. I was just being blunt; I'm a straight-forward kind of guy and I'm going to tell it to you how it is. I'm not going to masquerade and play games, I'm just going to tell you straight to your face what I think, and that's exactly what I did. I think this thread was posted in vain, I'll bet that if you took a poll here, more than 95% of people would say that they have considered emergency response times and they have factored that into the way they prepare themselves for disasters etc. I was trying to tell you that if you're trying to get a message across to somebody, you're doing in the wrong place, speaking to the wrong audience. Almost everybody that would be on the internet in a gun forum is enough of a firearms enthusiast to know how to protect their families...

I took your post to be the equivalent of posting a thread that says, "You should carry a gun when you go out in public because you never know when somebody may (fill in the blank) to you." If I posted a thread like that in the "Carry Issues and Self Defense" section of INgunowners.com I would get a lot of people laughing and saying things like, "No *****" and "Duh, where did you come up with such a novel and original idea?"

At any rate I started this because I knew the response time would be better measured in quarters of hours for my location instead of minutes and have never had a second thought of it. But I have seen many people commenting on the news channels facebook and webpages about how awful the police are and why aren't they getting their faster. Just because you or I don't have a second thought of it doesn't mean that other people think about it.
    True that, but my original point still stands... we're not the ones that you really have to worry about. It's the uneducated masses out there that are living their day-to-day lives oblivious to the scary things that go on around them.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Personally, I don't care what their response time is. I don't rely on them to protect or save me, so it doesn't matter to me. 5 minutes, 30 minutes... whatever. That's 5 minutes or 30 minutes AFTER I would have needed them.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    All I know is Elkhart's time is horrible, from personal experience.

I called 911 from my cellphone, and was amazingly coherent enough to tell the dispatcher that I had been mugged, was bleeding, and I was in extreme pain. It took nearly 20 minutes for a cop to get there! What amazes me even more, no one called for an ambulance until after the cop arrived. At that point we told him not to bother and that we would drive to the hospital. Later an x-ray would reveal a small fracture in my jaw. It is a constant reminder that you can only ever really rely on yourself.

Top Bottom