• bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Training is an eye opener for all.
    Most "gun guys," especially those of us that "grew up with guns," don't know what they don't know.

The real secret is to keep training and expand your disciplines. Then test your skills frequently in competition.

FYI - there is a whole sub-forum just around the corner, here on INGO. Dont let the name intimidate you. ;)

Tactics and Training

Last edited:

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    FWIW ive been shooting USPSA since '96, im a VERY average C class shooter. I started shooting steel challenge and rimfire challenge in 2018 after a long "vacation" from shooting. (life got in the way, bought a house, helping raise 3 stepkids, long work hours ect)
    I was damn sure humbled at my 1st few steel matches. stand by a watch (more than one) junior shooter absolutely smoke me on a stage....
    I like watching the youngsters with their quick reflexes, good eyes, and mobility and no bad habits run a stage.

i'm 61 years old, i'll never be as fast or as good as I used to be. I shoot for the enjoyment of shooting

:cheers:

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I will also need to change training areas since most indoor and outdoor ranges are not setup for, not do they allow any sort of run and gun...

IMHO, this is probably the biggest challenge that those of us w/o our own range face. It's damn near impossible to find a location where this kind of training can occur.

Ranges open the public are a non-starter due to the lack of skills demonstrated by that public on a daily basis. Even the semi-private "member-only" ranges are usually not going to allow this kind of practice, mainly for the same reasons...

Something as simple as controlled pairs will generally earn you some closer inspection by the RSO. While you might get a pass based on personal performance, as soon as another "shooter" arrives that's going to be the end of any slack you were granted. Forget about drawing from a holster or concealment. Cover/obstacle and "alternative" shooting positions are also going to be no-go.

Sure, you can practice movement and sight picture almost anywhere but actual live fire requires some pretty tall hurdles.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Don't all the ranges that host USPSA and other gun games or host self defense classes allow that sort of shooting for practice?

Maybe I'm just unique, but I have 4 ranges within an hour drive of me where I can shoot as I please? To qualify that, there is no place next door close, 30-40 minutes is the closest.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Don't all the ranges that host USPSA and other gun games or host self defense classes allow that sort of shooting for practice?

Maybe I'm just unique, but I have 4 ranges within an hour drive of me where I can shoot as I please? To qualify that, there is no place next door close, 30-40 minutes is the closest.

Yep, when I want or need to shoot, I make the trip from Crawfordsville to RileyCC. The Crawfordsville Gun Club is not suitable.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I couldn't disagree with the OP more. A good foundation in marksmanship skills are a great basis from which to learn to shoot faster and while moving etc. Those who learned to run and gun first, often struggle when the target is either small or far away. One thing is clear though, is that if one never trains for self-defense, but only shoots bullseyes, one is not best prepared to shoot quickly and accurately in a life or death situation. However one approaches, either from a run and gun background or one of bullseye, one needs to vary training to be well-rounded.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    When I talk to people about target shooting.
    One is even a GUN smith.
    They all tell me how good they shoot Bulls.
    When I tell them about "I" call it combat shooting.
    100% tell me that is not their cup of tea.

Then I ask then to imagine training to be a "prize fighter".
    Do you only train punching a bag.
    You need to get into the ring and see what fighting is really about.
    99% looked at me and said, I see what you mean.

Many years ago.
    I took two three day courses with Norm Hood.
    He was a Alaska State trouper.
    He was qualified in many fields of shooting.
    My problem was I am about 10 years his elder.
    I can not move as fast as he wanted.
    He got kind of uptight about that.
    We went around and around about it.
    I learned a lot.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    The good news is that you have learned a bit, about yourself, and now have a better understanding of which direction you may need to go in as well as what steps or training you need to pursue!

Learning is awesome...and, sometimes, 1/2 the fun!

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    It gets even harder when someone is shooting back :):

You learned a good lesson but more importantly you are seeking out training. You are an all star in my book.

Too many people never push themselves to the point of failure or out of whats comfortable so they never learn new skills.

I suck at bullseye shooting. Well not suck, but I dont like it. Boring, repetitive, and too much time to think. I like fast paced shooting, and i do better there than the slow timed bullseye static range stuff. To each their own. Nothing wrong with different tastes.

AjKilgore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2019
    Northern Area
    Well still a better shot than me. I just recently had the privilege of owning my first hand gun and try to shoot 150 rounds a month. Slowly, i am getting better.

Top Bottom