I have concluded that Remington ammo is indeed crap!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I took my Savage MKII to the range today. I had some Wolf target match, RWS, CCI standard velocity, CCI sub-sonic, Remington sub-sonic, and Remington target. The Remington ammo was very inconsistent. I noticed the same with their .223 as well. Never again will I buy Remington ammo.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    I have used some Remington UMC rifle ammo one time before in 7.62x39.
    I had bought a new rifle & in my hurry to get to the range I forgot to grab the ammo box. So I stopped by my local Wal-Mart & bought a few boxes of Remington 7.62x39 on my way to the range. I did my best to get the sights on target but it was shooting way low. It wasn't until the next week end when I was up at the range showing my new gun to friends when I discovered while shooting some Silver Bear that it was shooting way high.
    So that told me that the Remington was under powered or I just got a bad batch. Both were the same gr. so that can't be the reason there was almost 3' difference at 100yds.
    I like there shotgun ammo but there centerfire rifle ammo IMHO is not up to par.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    IMHO, the "quality" of Rem., ammo, has gone downhill, in the last few years, I don't know why .....
    Used to be REAL GOOD, not so much, anymore..... in my .22's, all I use is Fed., 550 bulk ..... :twocents:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    IME, their bulk-pack .22 sucks wind. I have a 500-pack that I'm forced to run through my Savage bolt gun, as neither my 10/22 nor my 22/45 will function with it. And yes, it is also dirty and offers mediocre accuracy at best.

I have shot the Rem-UMC stuff in pistol calibers just for range/training purposes and never had an issue. I also use their Golden Saber for defense in all the pistol calibers I carry (.40, 9mm, .380). I do not have much experience with their centerfire rifle ammunition.

YMMV.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    When a Savage MKII has issues with ammo, you know the ammo is bad. I use my MKII to get rid of any ammo my other .22LRs don't like, and never buy that type again. They are amazing rifles, accurate with even the crappiest of ammo!!!

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I have not tried their centerfire rifle ammo, so I can't comment on that. I have bought about 2000 rounds of 9mm Megapack without a single problem.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    That's China quality control for you... oh wait, you didn't know that Remington moved their ammo production to China, say it isn't so.

Source, please? This is the first I've heard of it, and an online search yielded no information. I'll be checking boxes at the shop in the morning, to be sure.

ETA - the 525-count box of Golden Bullets (bleh) in my range bag and the 25-count boxes of Golden Saber in my ammo locker all bear a "Made in USA" logo, so... :dunno:

Last edited:

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    I was going through my wife's grandpa's shooting stuff and came across a few unopened 100 round boxes of Remington .22LR - still in a Coast To Coast Hardware paper bag with a receipt dated 5 Oct 75. I'm torn between wanting to leave them alone and wanting to compare some side-by-side with modern Remington .22LR. Maybe throw them both over a chrono to see what the variation is like.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    their .22lr is crap (IMHO). my 597 has failure to fire with at least 2 out 10 rounds, if not more. no probs with the federal

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    their .22lr is crap (IMHO). my 597 has failure to fire with at least 2 out 10 rounds, if not more. no probs with the federal

I was about to say the same thing, you just beat me to it.

I had a box of Remington .22LR and a box of Winchester .22LR, used the Remington first in my GSG-5 and had AT LEAST 2 FTF in each magazine until the box was gone, sometimes 3, 4, and even more in a single 22 count magazine...

As for the Winchester 555 bulk box.... 1 FTF out of the last 2 boxes I've purchased.

FutureButterBar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Don't Worry About It
    I haven't had any issues with remington that i know of; however, unlike many of ingoer's, i don't track ammo that closely. 22lr is a crappy round in general, what do you want from something that is massed produced for the simple fact of being cheap?
    id say grab another box of remington from another store and see how it works

snuffy33

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    Apr 25, 2008
    Indy
    I was going through my wife's grandpa's shooting stuff and came across a few unopened 100 round boxes of Remington .22LR - still in a Coast To Coast Hardware paper bag with a receipt dated 5 Oct 75. I'm torn between wanting to leave them alone and wanting to compare some side-by-side with modern Remington .22LR. Maybe throw them both over a chrono to see what the variation is like.

Back in the 70's I had real good luck with Remington 22 ammo.
    It's junk now..

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Even back in the day, Remington .22 ammo would have a number of duds. I shot their "pistol match" ammo back then and it was accurate, but I could always count on 2-3% duds.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I've lost track of time, but it was in the mid to late 90's when we started having more and more problems with Remington/Walmart bulk pack .22 ammo. Cases and/or rims out-of-round, major rim thickness variation (on the same case even as in lopsided). And a high rate of duds. Plus we've had to punch a number of bullets out of the bore with a cleaning rod. Several of them only traveled a couple of inches down the bore.
    We've had some that it was a chore to load/extract in a revolver.

Many years ago we didn't have these issues with Remington .22 ammo. An occasional dud here and there and that was it. If you weren't hunting, a dud wasn't that big of a deal. But this wasn't bulk pack ammo either.

Federal bulk pack is noticeably better as far as case dimensions and somewhat better as far as the number of duds, but it seems to be at least as dirty, maybe more so.

We generally shoot bulk pack ammo out of bolt action rifles because it is so dirty and most semi automatic rifles are so hard to clean other than blasting them out with Gunscrubber ect.

I have a big stash of CCI Mini Mags. I shoot a few Mini-Mags, but the stash is left intact. I'm saving the good stuff for hard times or when I need to be reasonably sure that my .22 ammo will be reliable.

I forgot to mention the velocity variations. We haven't went to the trouble of shooting a bunch of .22 ammo across a chronogragh, but the variation is definately there. You can hear a big difference in several rounds fired and it shows up on a target, especially at longer ranges. Federal, Remington and Winchester have all varied like this for us. Some rounds are so weak they sound like .22 Shorts or even CB caps. Of course the real weak rounds are when the cleaning rod gets ran down the bore to punch out a lodged bullet.

Another thing after thinking about it. We've had instances of the cylinder of a revolver turning hard or even jamming due to rim thickness being so out of whack.

Also, we've had pretty decent results with CCI Blazer ammo. I don't see it around here very often and usually buy it when I'm away from home.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom