I have concluded that Remington ammo is indeed crap!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Personal experience with Reminton and its ammunition:

Had a 12 ga. shotgun slug round with the primer jammed all the way to the bottom of the primer pocket--couldn't believe my eyes, at first.

However, the most unbelievable part was the response from Remington--lukewarm at best. I thought the folks at Remington would be very concerned with such an egregious quality lapse, but they were not. They did not seem to care.

I am still willing to use Remington ammunition for practice ammo but only if I can find it really cheap, and that isn't happening, either.

Definitely do not recommend Remington ammunition for personal defense!

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I haven't had any issues with remington that i know of; however, unlike many of ingoer's, i don't track ammo that closely. 22lr is a crappy round in general, what do you want from something that is massed produced for the simple fact of being cheap?
    id say grab another box of remington from another store and see how it works

Lets see... where do I start?

Okay... all ammo is mass produced. The .22LR is actually a wonderful round and shot by pretty much everyone who owns a firearm because it is cheap and accurate for plinking, giving you hours of fun for a measley $20. I will accept a few failures out of a box of .22's as I know it is common, but it should never be 3-5 rounds out of every 20, regardless of what caliber it is.

I'm not sure how you came up with the store that sells the ammo has anything to do with how the ammo is produced, but to each their own I guess. :dunno:

Anyways, like most people, I won't buy another box of Remington for the same price as Winchester even if it is from another store. I've purchased 9mm and .223 rounds from different stores and still have problems their ammo. Not as much with the 9mm and .223 as the .22 but still more than any other manufacturer I've purchased from.

Like others have said, I won't buy it again unless I get one heck of a deal on it.

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    The only Remington ammo that I've not had trouble with has been the .40 Golden Saber (maybe because I've not fired much of it) and their shotshells. Their bulk .22LR is the dirtiest stuff I've put through my guns, when it works. The .308 PowerPoint wouldn't feed properly in my Mauser bolt action. And the UMC handgun ammo is also filthy.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Remington has gone downhill in many respects, thanks to their parent company. The Remington of today is not the same company it was just a few years ago. Likewise with Marlin et al.
    Too many cost cutting measures have been put in place while simply not caring about the quality of the product.
    They've probably about run out of real talent and experiance in the workforce too. Big companies like Remington really don't want very many people around that actually know very much. They create an atmosphere that drives away most old employees, then start looking for reasons to get rid of many of the ones that are left.

Bull13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Hamilton Cty
    IME, their bulk-pack .22 sucks wind. I have a 500-pack that I'm forced to run through my Savage bolt gun, as neither my 10/22 nor my 22/45 will function with it. And yes, it is also dirty and offers mediocre accuracy at best.

I have shot the Rem-UMC stuff in pistol calibers just for range/training purposes and never had an issue. I also use their Golden Saber for defense in all the pistol calibers I carry (.40, 9mm, .380). I do not have much experience with their centerfire rifle ammunition.

YMMV.
    I really like and have never had an issue with Rem .223. Good stuff! Thanks for the heads up on the. 22 issues, I shoot bricks od .22 and no sense spending good money on bad ammo.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    I just shot some bulk .22's last weekend and it was the most inconsistent ammo that I have ever shot. You could tell by the sound that some were way hot and others softer than .22 shorts. We also shot some .223 and .40 white box. I figured I was just getting tired because they were all over the place so we dropped in some lower price Federals and the groups tightened up again. Even the USA's shot better (didn't used to be the way imo) My long winded way of saying I totally agree with you :)

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    A friend and I went to the range today with our M4's (both Bushmasters). He was trying to shoot up the remainder of his Remington .223. It basically turned his M4 into a single shot with all the FTF's. We had the same results out of mine, as the last time I fired it. So, in conclusion, Remington .223 is indeed junk. In fact, I'm going to send them an email. Now that I know it was just not my rifle having issues with it.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have never had an issue with centerfire ammo by Remington. As a matter of fact, the Remington core lock hunting ammo actually groups the best in my Remington 700.

I have been in contact with Remington Quality control people in the Arkansas plant. They have recently updated their production machinery on the .22 rimfire line. Between the replaced equipment and the updated, they feel the problems with the .22 ammo are being rectified. They admitted the fact that they had a problem and are embarrased that so much inconsistant product made it to the warehouses. The new, upgraded product is actually already in the pipeline. The older production stuff should be pretty much used up. Remington feels that the quality product and reputation should be restored very quickly.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have never had an issue with centerfire ammo by Remington. As a matter of fact, the Remington core lock hunting ammo actually groups the best in my Remington 700.

I have been in contact with Remington Quality control people in the Arkansas plant. They have recently updated their production machinery on the .22 rimfire line. Between the replaced equipment and the updated, they feel the problems with the .22 ammo are being rectified. They admitted the fact that they had a problem and are embarrased that so much inconsistant product made it to the warehouses. The new, upgraded product is actually already in the pipeline. The older production stuff should be pretty much used up. Remington feels that the quality product and reputation should be restored very quickly.

It runs fine out of my Savage, but it's very inconsistent. It will not run for crap in a semi-auto though. It was not premium ammunition either. It was the Remington in the Green and White box.

SeedlessTom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    I am deeply saddened by the fact that the only ammo I have in the house right now is a box of 9mm UMC JHP's... I have a round that absolutely will not chamber in my SR9. I can't wait to get rid of this ammo.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    However, the most unbelievable part was the response from Remington--lukewarm at best. I thought the folks at Remington would be very concerned with such an egregious quality lapse, but they were not. They did not seem to care.

This isn't the first time I've heard about Remington's attitude regarding their poor performing ammo.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Here is the reply back from Remington.

"We have received your inquiry about the Remington ammunition you have purchased. We regret you experienced a problem with this product and thank you for bringing it to our attention. When there is a concern regarding our ammunition, we request that you please forward us your full name, shipping address, type of ammunition, type of firearm used, and phone number. We will then forward this information to our ammunition plant on your behalf so that they can send you a prepaid mailer as we also request that you forward us the suspect rounds for our evaluation. If the ammunition is indeed found to be faulty, we will reimburse you or replace the ammunition returned to us for evaluation."

Kind of hard to send it back for evalutation when I fired it all.

Top Bottom