• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amac91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    NWI
    Looks like quite a few of us have decided to build our first ARs. I've been going back and forth for months on whether I wanted to (and whether I could actually afford to which I cant) and I finally pulled the trigger.

Looks like I'll be going with the Palmetto State Hammer Forged M4 complete upper on a Stag lower with enhanced trigger with various MOE parts in foliage green. I'm excited and might regret it slightly when my credit card needs to be paid but oh well. Picking up the lower from my FFL tomorrow and my LPK should be here friday.

Amac91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    NWI
    I intended on drawing out the build to make it easier on the wallet. Turns out I have the patience of a 3 year old that wants ice cream

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I did pretty good drawing mine out until I had the lower receiver in my hands. :D. Then I ordered everything else in a week. Lol.

The receiver was the first piece I got.

Amac91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    NWI
    I'm basically just waiting on my lower parts kit. My stag lower froms Buds was here in 2 days. Palmetto State just shipped my stuff 8 days after placing the order :rolleyes: o well

Amac91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    NWI
    Leathers Limited Firearms here in Bloomington. He charges 25 which is more than most but I like the guy

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Have fun! Ive been thinking about it, but I'm still recovering in the bank account from my last build. If you think an AR build is bad on $$, try building an M14 with USGI parts. You only live once right, and the good Word is there are no rifles in Heaven

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    It's an addicting process. 1 half built AR will become 4 or 5 builds before you know it.

That is no lie... I am currently waiting on a bcg to come back in-stock to complete my first build, and I'm already planning .308 and 9mm builds.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    I've found it cheaper to just buy already built. It removes the temptation to keep buying better addon's all the time. Once you've put in all the addons and see all the spare parts lying around all it does is make you want to build another, because, hey, you almost have half a gun... and that's when the wife hits you.

Save time and money. New fully loaded pre-built ARs are pricey, but in the long run, I've found it to be cheaper. Get one with everything you want on it from day one. I have no spare parts lying around to tempt me. I never piece together guns anymore. I buy the whole shabangabang all at once. (gun, optics, bipods, slings, cases...)

This hobby is addictive enough, we don't need more temptation. For many of us, it's already affected marriages. I average about two acquisitions per year and so far that keeps the wife happy. Just my $00.02

Amac91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    NWI
    Idk I mean I've built pretty much the exact gun I wanted for a price that I don't think I could beat. Although I have to say that Stag Model 3 looks veerrryyy tempting for a nice complete gun.

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Idk I mean I've built pretty much the exact gun I wanted for a price that I don't think I could beat. Although I have to say that Stag Model 3 looks veerrryyy tempting for a nice complete gun.

Can't agree more, I currently have just over $400 in my AR. It is complete minus the BCG. Now, I stumbled on a couple good deals, and don't have any mags yet, but I know I couldn't have what I have right now, for the same money in a pre-built rifle, especially the compensator I chose, and the free float handguard. I've done everything I can to keep costs down, and I'm not buying spare parts if I can help it, but I will spend the money when the quality is there.

The one "problem" I do have is, since this build has been so cheap and easy, I'm already dreaming of future builds, like a 9mm pistol build, and a .308 build. I'm a pretty big cheap ass though, so it'll probably be a bit before I start a new build.

indianashooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    I put one together for my WIFE. An A2 with colapsable stock for about $600. It sports a few accessories now, another $200 or so. I'll not be trading my M14 for one any time soon but it is a good gun and fun to shoot. Maby I should build her another one and keep the old one for myself.

Top Bottom