• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    I have decided its not worth my time to keep stopping at Walmart, Gander Mountain, Dunhams, Dicks, Rural King, and of those types of places in the search of ammo. It is just not worth it to me.

I now only go to my LGS and if he has it and at a decent price ill buy it. He usually has .223, 9mm, and decently often 22LR.

Anyone else give up the big box stores also??

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I never make a special stop, but anytime I'm in Walmart I check just for the fun of it. I've found .40, but that's about it.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Yep. Pointless. Staff at Walmart lie about delivery times and the stock has not reached the shelves in months. I know from checking, which I no longer do.

I shop on-line. Even with the shipping I get better prices than anywhere else in the Fort.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    About the only ammo I buy locally is FMJ. I almost never see 50 rnd boxes of Gold Dot, HST, Golden Saber, or Ranger around (if they have any at all, even during good times), so that has to be mail ordered.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    In the past 10 years I've bought exactly one box of ammo from a box store. I got a gift certificate for Meijers and bought a bulk pack of .40. Its always been interwebz and LGS. Internet for 1k+ orders, LGS for smaller purchases.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I just gave up on looking and Gander does have 22LR if you buy a gun. I asked if they had any the guy said no haven't had any for a while a guy was buying a 22 and they sold him some 6 ft from where we were and I said what about that. He simply walked away without a word. Not sure that I will ever go in another Gander.

jLr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I just gave up on looking and Gander does have 22LR if you buy a gun. I asked if they had any the guy said no haven't had any for a while a guy was buying a 22 and they sold him some 6 ft from where we were and I said what about that. He simply walked away without a word. Not sure that I will ever go in another Gander.

It would be difficult for a store to sell a gun if they have no ammo to offer. They should have been upfront with you, but I know of several places that only sell ammo if you buy a gun. Makes sense, really.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I'd say 95% of the ammo I've bought in my life has been over the internet. The other 5% is split between Dunhams and LGS.

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood

They are not the only ones doing that. And i think it is makes good business sense for them. They should reserve a set amount of ammo that can be sold with a gun purchase. Most will sit aside a couple of boxes, if they have it. It's not like they are handing out a spam can with every gun purchase.

bowtie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    South Bend
    Like I tell all of my friends who drive around like a lost lone child hitting up every walmart in the state.

Just suck it up and order online if you need ammo that bad. By the time you calculate say how long it takes with time and fuel for your car to score 1000 rounds between walmart and LGS it would take some time between never being in stock and the stupid box limit.

Order it online and let the UPS guy deliver it right to your door step. Its much nicer

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    Ask around, folks...

There are ways to find the "big box" stores' manifest for their upcoming trucks...
    By the caliber, by the location, by the bulk.

I promise. If you want it bad enough, you can find it unbelievably easy.
    If you don't want to go through those troubles, at least know when each location puts out their inventory.

It's out there; fact. You just have to be the one that gets it first. :-)

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I don't go to wal-mart unless required by my employment, so that's no loss for me.

I used to buy 12g target loads and .22 bulk pack at Dick's, but unsure if I'll ever buy anything from them again.

That leaves me locally with MC Sports and Dunham's. I have bought a few guns at each place and a bit of ammo from MCSports.

The guys at the gun counter at the Bloomington MC Sports are good guys and they changed their "no loaded firearms allowed in store" sign to explicitly allow licensed carry of loaded handguns. I will continue to shop at MC Sports, if for no other reason than because they hire good people and allow them to do reasonable things.

I buy ammo at lgs's when I'm there and see something I want.

Most of my ammo comes from ammoman or SG sales.

Top Bottom