• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SSE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Tippecanoe Co.
    I have hundreds and hundreds of pounds of range pick-up brass.
    I always thought that I would get around to sorting it and sell it but that is not going to happen. I just need to haul it off to a scrap yard. The only scrap yard here in Lafayette is paying $2.40 a pound but will not take cartridge cases. Does anybody know of a scrap yard that will take range brass.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    BRI in Bedford will take it.

A guy brought in over $10,000 worth one day ahead of me and they had to do a bank run to pay him.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Are there not any local shooters/reloaders that will pay better than scrap pricing?

What about the INGO members that sell brass in our classifieds? Any thoughts on contacting them?

I have a fair amount of brass myself, but if I was close and thought I could profit from purchasing and reselling in the INGO classy's I'd be all over it.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I have hundreds and hundreds of pounds of range pick-up brass.
    I always thought that I would get around to sorting it and sell it but that is not going to happen. I just need to haul it off to a scrap yard. The only scrap yard here in Lafayette is paying $2.40 a pound but will not take cartridge cases. Does anybody know of a scrap yard that will take range brass.
    Metal X in Fort Wayne on Coliseum Blvd will buy it, but that is going to be one heck of a drive for scrapping. They are also seem to be a little under market price, so it is worth a call to check current pricing.

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    There are 2 scrapyards within 20 miles of me that will take brass cases. Must have 50 lbs or more. Must be decapped. Must be flattened. Sign state and federal papers. Return 10 days later to collect payment.

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    There are 2 scrapyards within 20 miles of me that will take brass cases. Must have 50 lbs or more. Must be decapped. Must be flattened. Sign state and federal papers. Return 10 days later to collect payment.
    Jesus…for all that work it isn’t even worth it.

I went to a major scrap yard in MASSACHUSETTS that took my junk cases no questions asked…you’re telling me that there’s no scrap yards in this lovely free state that will take spent cases with primers in them? That’s insane if so.

SSE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Tippecanoe Co.
    Thanks for all the replies.
    I found a scrap yard not too far away that will pay $1.25 a pound. A 50% cut on the price because it is cartridge cases. Oh well

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Thanks for all the replies.
    I found a scrap yard not too far away that will pay $1.25 a pound. A 50% cut on the price because it is cartridge cases. Oh well
    I'd like to know where that is.
    I'm in Tippecanoe county too.
    I rarely sell brass cases, but it's nice to know where to take them.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    When I closed my business, I took hundreds of lbs of clean range brass to Newlon metals in Kokomo. They pour it over a big magnet and lower the price if they find steel.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    This kills me. Wasn’t long ago people were fighting for reloading brass. Now we are back to melting it down again. I paid $100 for a 5 gallon bucket of indoor range brass. Don’t know what that weighs if it was all 9mm would work out to about $.015 apiece. I have also purchased mixed brass for an estimated penny each.

OP why not put it out in the classifieds? Or even keep it for when you decide to start reloading

FYI you can order a set of trays that a person sets over a 5 gallon bucket. Sift the brass through and it will sort it for you. The trays are cheap. If I were planning a trip to Lafayette in the near future I would be interested in purchasing unsorted brass.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove

Call first. If it has steel and aluminum cases they discount what they pay.
    I have sold them lots of brass. And yes, I listed it here first. Mixed headstamp is a hard sell here.
    As an added "benefit" you can go blind sorting thousands of 9mm cases.

Darn, I'm a slow typist.

Top Bottom