• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    When traveling with an Indiana LTCH and a handgun Illinois is the easiest state: you can't get out of the car. For our Florida trip this Fall I'm making a crib sheet.

BlaineBug

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    NA
    When traveling with an Indiana LTCH and a handgun Illinois is the easiest state: you can't get out of the car. For our Florida trip this Fall I'm making a crib sheet.

I got out of the car all of the time but didn't have the gun on my person. Another one of my colleagues was much more daring and would actually wear his gun in Illinois, visibly in his waistband. Balls, big ones.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    [h=2]IN LTCH holder shoots and kills robber in Chicago.[/h]
    Has not been charged to my knowledge.

I am in the same position as US Marine. I travel to the VA occasionally and there can be violations of Federal law there if you are not careful.

I have been told by someone (I do not recall who, "Remember that Jack, I do not recall.") that they went to Chiraq at Christmas time .

I said I would not go there because I had to disarm. They retorted that they were wearing a heavy coat and no one noticed.

BlaineBug

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    NA
    IN LTCH holder shoots and kills robber in Chicago.

I am in the same position as US Marine. I travel to the VA occasionally and there can be violations of Federal law there if you are not careful.

I have been told by someone (I do not recall who, "Remember that Jack, I do not recall.") that they went to Chiraq at Christmas time .

I said I would not go there because I had to disarm. They retorted that they were wearing a heavy coat and no one noticed.

Nobody notices until someone notices. I am sure Chicago politicians and "justice" officials would absolutely love to make some example of an Indiana resident. "See, not only our gangs and thugs carry dangerous weapons in the city."

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    [h=2]IN LTCH holder shoots and kills robber in Chicago.[/h]

It's funny because the sign on the parking garage says no firearms or weapons which always causes me to chuckle.

Notropis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    NWI
    I'm not a lawyer and can only reinforce what's been said. As Indiana LTCH must be on person in car in Illinois The Peoria case (Michael Diggins) establishes center console and/glove box as a gun case provided has functioning zipper, latch, snap etc. Illinois law however prohibits all Americans (illinois CCW permit holders included) from storing loaded firearms in the vehicle. Must be on person for anyone or unloaded inside a case as defined by illinois supreme court.

Edit to add: unloaded in Illinois means not in chamber AND magazine must fall freely if firearm is picked up. So putting just the tip in (magazine) may not get you in trouble depending on who is inspecting the situation.

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    It's funny because the sign on the parking garage says no firearms or weapons which always causes me to chuckle.

You may not know, but THAT sign has the force of Federal law. It is a Federal felony to have a gun in your car in the parking garage.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Interesting. Years back when I delivered food across state lines in to Illinois I always assumed that I was breaking the law to have a loaded firearm in the center console in Illinois. I have my Indiana lifetime carry permit as well but I assumed that ammunition and gun had to be kept separate while in Illinois.

Depending on just how many "years back" it was, yes it was illegal to have a loaded firearm in the center console. Unloaded with a loaded mag with it was a-ok.

Indiana License To Carry and driving through Illinois sucks but it's better than it used to be. Yes you can still keep it on you and/or in the car while driving. But when getting out of the car, I believe, it needs to be left in the car out of sight and locked. As in a lock type box OR the car is the lock box.

While getting gas in IL I had an interesting thought.
    Gun is holstered I get out to pump the gas but technically I leave my door open and my hand never stops touching my car to whole time while gassing up. Am I technically out of my car? I'm just doing stuff to my car at my car but never LEFT my car at anytime. :):

Same thought also if you are stopped and need to leave your car but wish to put the gun in the trunk.
    Silly but are you allowed to exit the car and walk back to the trunk with your gun or do you have to open the window climb on to the roof and somehow get the trunk opened while your on top of it and throw the gun into it before jumping to the ground.

Per Illinois law it states within the vehicle, while standing outside pumping gas are you within the vehicle? Nope, even if you are still touching it. As for putting it in the trunk there is an exemption in the law for that. You are allowed to carry it for the limited purpose of putting it in your trunk. It also only has to be locked up if you are leaving the immediate area of the vehicle. So you could leave the door open with the pistol on the seat covered with a rag if you wished. Or for pumping gas carry it straight to the trunk and place it there concealed if that would be better for you. Here is the actual code.
    (e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
    (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
    (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
    (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
    If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.
    (b) Notwithstanding subsections (a), (a-5), and (a-10) of this Section except under paragraph (22) or (23) of subsection (a), any licensee prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm into the parking area of a prohibited location specified in subsection (a), (a-5), or (a-10) of this Section shall be permitted to carry a concealed firearm on or about his or her person within a vehicle into the parking area and may store a firearm or ammunition concealed in a case within a locked vehicle or locked container out of plain view within the vehicle in the parking area. A licensee may carry a concealed firearm in the immediate area surrounding his or her vehicle within a prohibited parking lot area only for the limited purpose of storing or retrieving a firearm within the vehicle's trunk. For purposes of this subsection, "case" includes a glove compartment or console that completely encloses the concealed firearm or ammunition, the trunk of the vehicle, or a firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container.
    430Â*ILCSÂ*66/Â*Â*Firearm Concealed Carry Act.
    You guys should have seen CA when I lived there.
    You can only transport your gun to and from the range, an FFL dealer, a gunsmith, or if you're moving. The gun had to be in a locked gun box or gun case and the empty magazine could not be with the gun in the case. The ammo had to back into the original box or container it was bought with. Couldn't be loose in the car at all.

That's when I lived there, I'm sure it's change 10 times both ways by now.
    Yet somehow I had my gun with me 24/7 and I was always on my way to the range, a dealer or a gunsmith.. Always. :):

Actually that is better IMO than IN law used to be. It allows for transport to a range. Indiana didn't allow for that without a license up until a few years ago. Heck I'm pretty sure it didn't allowed for transport to a FFL dealer, just from.

I'm not a lawyer and can only reinforce what's been said. As Indiana LTCH must be on person in car in Illinois The Peoria case (Michael Diggins) establishes center console and/glove box as a gun case provided has functioning zipper, latch, snap etc. Illinois law however prohibits all Americans (illinois CCW permit holders included) from storing loaded firearms in the vehicle. Must be on person for anyone or unloaded inside a case as defined by illinois supreme court.

Edit to add: unloaded in Illinois means not in chamber AND magazine must fall freely if firearm is picked up. So putting just the tip in (magazine) may not get you in trouble depending on who is inspecting the situation.

Illinois law states "on or about a person" I believe in pretty much every state that means either on you or easily accessible. I don't believe it has to be on you, center console/glove box/etc should be fine.
    "Concealed firearm" means a loaded or unloaded handgun carried on or about a person completely or mostly concealed from view of the public or on or about a person within a vehicle.

As for the magazine must fall freely, not sure if that is correct. I believe the law stated "inserted" so just like some other things "putting in just the tip" could get you in trouble.

You may not know, but THAT sign has the force of Federal law. It is a Federal felony to have a gun in your car in the parking garage.

Federal and state if he was talking about a parking garage on VA property. The state law specifically excludes federal no go zones. But I'm sure he was talking about using an off site parking facility.

BlaineBug

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    NA
    I am of the belief that no law (firearms, tax, etc.) should ever be so confusing as to cause the general public to ask questions about the meaning and intent of said law.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I am of the belief that no law (firearms, tax, etc.) should ever be so confusing as to cause the general public to ask questions about the meaning and intent of said law.

i believe that as to every law as well.

....yet my belief has little effect on the reality that the old saying "ignorance of the law is no excuse" is, largely, accurate.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Why would anyone want to set foot in Illinois?

Family... not so much a want but a necessary evil to visit them.

but that's the whole purpose of the way our gov't works... make the laws so long, convoluted, and obfuscated that not even the ones enacting the laws see it much less understand it.

BlaineBug

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    NA
    If the legal system can find a way to fine you and make your pay for penalties, of course they will use that verbiage repeatedly, "ignorance of the law is no excuse." It benefits the swamp.

For over one hundred years have the people allowed the erosion of rights and freedoms, under the false guise of increasing rights and freedoms.

Notropis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    NWI
    Timjoebillybob, yes...I was not complete. On or about person is accurate. I was trying to express the fact that Illinois law prohibits loaded firearms in the car for everyone when the car is unoccupied. In Illinois, you must unload the firearm, place inside a case when exiting the vehicle to be compliant (or exit for the purpose of storage). As far as loaded definition...I've asked every Illinois LEO, I can and they agree - No round in chamber, magazine not locked and must fall free. If magazine does not fall free, it is inherently part of the weapon and considered loaded. Maybe I'm not talking to enough cops about this? I say this because defining loaded and untangling "insert" definition can be subjective. However common use of insert vs. Webster definition vary. So indeed, putting in the tip can get you in trouble but I presume law was written with Webster definition in mind. This does not mean all LEO prefer Webster over common language use.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Timjoebillybob, yes...I was not complete. On or about person is accurate. I was trying to express the fact that Illinois law prohibits loaded firearms in the car for everyone when the car is unoccupied. In Illinois, you must unload the firearm, place inside a case when exiting the vehicle to be compliant (or exit for the purpose of storage). As far as loaded definition...I've asked every Illinois LEO, I can and they agree - No round in chamber, magazine not locked and must fall free. If magazine does not fall free, it is inherently part of the weapon and considered loaded. Maybe I'm not talking to enough cops about this? I say this because defining loaded and untangling "insert" definition can be subjective. However common use of insert vs. Webster definition vary. So indeed, putting in the tip can get you in trouble but I presume law was written with Webster definition in mind. This does not mean all LEO prefer Webster over common language use.

Can you cite the code that prohibits loaded firearms in a vehicle when unoccupied? I cited the law above and it makes no mention of it being unloaded if you leave it in the vehicle when you exit. Just that it has to be in a locked vehicle or locked container if you leave the vehicle unattended.

I can't find the legal definition for loaded/unloaded except for muzzleloaders. But I'm pretty sure it stated for revolvers no ammunition in the cylinder and for semi autos no round in the chamber and no loaded magazines inserted in it. And not bashing cops, I wouldn't ask their advice on the law. I had an IL officer before they allowed CCW tell me that the magazine being in the same pocket of the case could be consider to be "constructively loaded" and advised me to toss the mags under the seat. I then referenced the supreme court case they had there where two handguns were in the center console, one semi with loaded mag(s) and a revolver with ammo. This was after he stated he knew all about the case.

hreadus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2019
    Indianapolis
    My advice and I am not an attorney. If you have an Indiana License to Carry do not carry the firearm outside the State of Indiana without consulting with local law enforcement in the destination you will be traveling to. Illinois does not honor Indiana LTC and you may be breaking the law.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    My advice and I am not an attorney. If you have an Indiana License to Carry do not carry the firearm outside the State of Indiana without consulting with local law enforcement in the destination you will be traveling to. Illinois does not honor Indiana LTC and you may be breaking the law.

Illinois allows you to drive through the state with an Indiana LTC. You may only exit the car, with the firearm, in order to secure it in the trunk.

This site is pretty good, and is a great starting point. Handgunlaw.us They caution you to check the statelaws for changes that may have taken place since their last update.

ItchySides

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    Wanatah
    Indiana LTCH holder before the law change could store their handgun in the center consul with the loaded mag right next to the handgun. After Illinois ccw law Indiana LTCH holders can now have their loaded handgun on them while they are in the vehicle. There are a lot of threads on this very subject that go into great depths about it. Just do a quick search “LTCH Illinois”

Thank you for this. I've always wondered as my in-laws are in Illinois, but never carried. This will change.

Top Bottom