I have just discovered that I have several Kentucky Coffeetrees - any uses?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I discovered on our property that there is a small grove of Kentucky coffeetrees. They have a large bean shaped fruit on them.

Initial research is inconsistent. Most says that bean is poisonous with cytisine. However, there is also reading that suggests strongly roasting the beans then using them removes the toxicity.

So, in a long term survival situation are there any practical uses for the chemical cytisine?

And, does anyone have good knowledge of whether the cytisine is removed by roasting?

I am not looking to play with my life but knowledge can be a very useful thing. There are stories of cattle dying from drinking water these bean pods have fallen into, so it is clearly not something to be taken lightly! If they can't be used as a food source or an alternative coffee, then perhaps some positive use for a minute amount of cytisine exists?

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Doug

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne

Yes, I found that. Now I am looking for any firsthand knowledge that isn't there.

They make pretty lumber, knife handle material?

I have read this as well. I am hoping to confirm or positively disprove the notion that the beans have no known uses, other than to possibly poison someones water supply.

As of now they aren't real big, so the lumber value would be limited. But you are correct, they are big enough to make small things like knife handles and/or other small wooden parts.

Doug

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    As I understand it, they are somewhat low in population, so having a few around is neat in that regard. If it were me, I'd probably roast some up and give it a go (but that's just me, I'm pretty adventurous). From the sounds of things, some of them taste bad, some taste like tea, and some taste like coffee. The USDA site said Indiana State researchers couldn't conclusively say that cytisine was present, so that may depend on which tree you get as well.

Loco179

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    They are a good nitrogen building tree for reforesting. The DNR sells them as well. That is a sign that that might be a "recently" disrupted forest kinda like Locust or Redbud.

Varmint Killer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2015
    Brazil
    The Kentucky Coffee Tree got its common name from settlers from the east who first encountered it in Kentucky, where it is also native. They would roast the seeds and use them as a (poor) coffee substitute. Some Native Americans also used large quantities of the seed to put in the water and stupefy or kill fish.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    As I understand it, they are somewhat low in population, so having a few around is neat in that regard. If it were me, I'd probably roast some up and give it a go (but that's just me, I'm pretty adventurous). From the sounds of things, some of them taste bad, some taste like tea, and some taste like coffee. The USDA site said Indiana State researchers couldn't conclusively say that cytisine was present, so that may depend on which tree you get as well.

The issue I have with trying this before confirming it is that I was reading stories of COWS dying from drinking water that the fruit had dropped into. Now cows have a LOT more mass than me, so the potential poison issue is somewhat high as a threat level goes. Adventurous is one thing, silly reckless is another.

The Kentucky Coffee Tree got its common name from settlers from the east who first encountered it in Kentucky, where it is also native. They would roast the seeds and use them as a (poor) coffee substitute. Some Native Americans also used large quantities of the seed to put in the water and stupefy or kill fish.

I may have read that on a link as well. The problem is finding any confirmation from a firsthand or even second hand source. The alleged lethality or at least severe side effects are something not to be trifled with. That said, IF I could find some confirmation somewhere that you really can neutralize any potential poison I would consider trying them out as a coffee substitute.

On these responses I may well be being hypocritical, but I am trying to find a potential use while avoiding unnecessary major health risks.

Perhaps this cannot be done, but that won't stop me from looking.

Regards,

Doug

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Doug I searched through my plant books as I'm not personally familiar with this plant and this is what I found.
    From Peterson Field guide to medicinal plants and herbs of eastern and central north America third edition: Kentucky Coffee Tree - uses: Caramel like pod pulp used by Meskwaki for lunacy. Leaf and pulp tea used for reflex troubles, and a laxative. Various Native Americans of the Midwest used root bark tea for coughs caused by inflamed mucous membranes; diuretic; given to aid child birth in protracted labor, stops bleeding; also used in enema for constipation. Leaves considered laxative. Seeds once used as coffee substitute. Warning: Toxic to grazing animals. Leaves are a fly poison. Seeds contain toxic saponins.

From Peterson Field guide to edible plants of eastern and central north America first edition: Kentucky Coffee Tree - The seeds can be roasted and ground into a caffeine free coffee substitute. Warning: Use only the roasted seeds; the fresh seeds and surrounding pulp are poisonous. Do not confuse with larger pods of Honey Locust.

That's what I could find on it, hope it helps.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    A lot of edibles are poisonous, actually. Don't eat the wrong part of rhubarb. Poke is a common foraged food item, but if you get it too late in its growth cycle it will kill you. Potatoes are a nightshade plant, and have a tomato looking berry. Better stick to the root, though.

Furthermore, many plants are toxic to certain species of animals. Pompous grass will kill sheep. If I remember correctly, alliums (onions, garlic, etc.) are bad for rabbits.

I don't say any of this to dissuade you from your caution. I just want to point out that a cow consuming a raw plant is not the same thing as a human eating the same plant that has been cooked.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Furthermore, many plants are toxic to certain species of animals. Pompous grass will kill sheep. If I remember correctly, alliums (onions, garlic, etc.) are bad for rabbits.

Note to self: Feed only humble grass to sheep.

Top Bottom