I have made some epic fails concerning my firearms.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Much like you. My poor choice was selling a PRISTINE and VERY correct WWII Winchester M-1 carbine that I had in the late 80's. Why I sold it...for the life of me I do not remember what other gun I thought I just HAD to have? Being young and dumb and having a wife and two small children to feed at the time is my only excuse.

Sounds like a good excuse to me.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Yep, that's why I included it in here. I was around 22. Didn't make the connection that I needed more powerful ammo. 9mm didn't have much in the line of carry ammo then either (being nearly 30 years ago). I always wanted one, so I got it. Paid out the rear for an extra mag as well (M13).

Year or so after I got rid of it a buddy and I started toying around with reloading. That was probably when the lightbulb turned on. I stopped buying other people's reloads... for a while at least.

We've all been there.
    I actually have two:

Pristine HK 93, I was young, and listening to other people that I thought were "in the know" advise me that a better choice in .223/5.56 was an AR.
    So I sold it during the 10 year ban, 1994 to 2004. In some respects they were right, but I do wish I had never sold it.

The other was an IMI Full Auto Uzi, Mod. A
    I let it go for what I had in it at the time which was $1200 dollars, I haven't priced them for a few years, the last time I looked..................8K was the price for what I had.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Ouch on both counts. I was ready to buy an HK 93 at LGS, but somehow went with a Mini-14 instead. Still unsure how I got talked into that.

Father and I were ready to buy consecutive numbered Tommy guns in FA when the ban hit and the price doubled. Would have still been a good deal considering what they would go for now, but still didn't get them.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Back in 96 I passed an anaconda for $500, got a 629 instead. Love my s&w.

In 05 I passed a python for $750, didn't know their value. Went back later and guy decided to keep it.

Lt Scott 14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Porter County
    Back in the 80's was scratching my wallet for a house down payment note. Had to part with my 44 Magnum M29-6in bbl. Nickel plated revolver. To add more $, also cut loose a Lew Horton (S&W) M629 with a 3in bbl.(snub barrel). Ouch!
    Just before closing, my Brother in Law asked to buy my Colt Gold Cup 45ACP. Off to the sellers pool.
    Done. Still live in the house, own some less $ handguns, and kept my S&W M10-5 with a 4in bbl.(square butt) Used the M-10 for Private Security, and LEO training and actually paid for itself a number of times. Keeping it cleaned and maintained it has never let me down. It's on the night table, 6in from me. (Stoked with 158gr, SWHP (Chicago Metro Load)
    Had a few others that came and went, but the above kinda warm my heart in past memories. Good luck on you if you part with them.

mrrogers91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I've sold three guns a taurus pt111 g2 and a smith and wesson sd9ve and some kind of 12g pump i cant remember the make or model of. the taurus and shotgun were my first two firearms ive owned. no regrets the smith and wesson i bought as my first carry weapon and quickly switched over to glock and havent been happier with my decision. the one thing i do regret getting rid of was a nice holographic sight (UTG i believe) i gave it to my buddy on a rifle i built for him for a wedding gift. at least it went to a good cause.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I once had a an FN-49, in 8mm Mauser, Sold the gun, and the next week saw in Shotgun News, FN-49 firing pins $5......aaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!! Now as to deals not made, passed up buying a full auto Mac-11, in 9mm for $400, plus $200 transfer tax. I had orders to Germany, and needless to say, full auto wasn't legal to transport over seas, and you can't just store it with relatives......

Last edited:

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Don't really regret doing it now but when I was a newlywed, young man we needed money to survive so I sold my collection. Took a hit on all of my guns but that's what needed done at the time to keep the family going.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'm a user, not collector.
    Had some decent stuff over the years.
    Miss some of the old rigs.

Let a bunch go I liked.
    But of all, there's a top 4 of wish I had back......

Didn't have the $ to rebarrel my old Ruger #1 B.
    Minty 1100 Magnum 12 (killed piles of stuff)
    870 Special Field 20 ga
    4" 629-1 Smith

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I passed on a '77 Ruger #1 B in .243 win on GB, had killer wood.
    That one haunts me.
    Thought too long about an Anschutz 141M
    and an H&K 300

So have missed out. Oh well.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Indiana State Police trade in S&W Combat 66. Second pistol I ever bought, first carry gun
    Edit to add-
    I'll include the first pistol also, A Colt new frontier in .22 with the mag cylinder. First pistol I ever bought

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I accidentally bought a CA compliant AR15 at the Indy 1500.... that was a regret cause it caused me some money... traded it for two shotguns... So, it all worked out in the end

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I once had a an FN-49, in 8mm Mauser, Sold the gun, and the next week saw in Shotgun News, FN-49 firing pins $5......aaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!! Now as to deals not made, passed up buying a full auto Mac-11, in 9mm for $400, plus $200 transfer tax. I had orders to Germany, and needless to say, full auto wasn't legal to transport over seas, and you can't just store it with relatives......

Good to see you back on INGO and not just at the shop Smitty.....I mean it....

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    In 1995 I sold an 1887 Colt Lightning revolver to by one of those new-fangled computers with Windows 95... which instantly became obsolete. Dumb move.

sofrosune

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I have two big regrets...not purchasing a near mint 6" stainless Python with wood grips and original box for $1000 in 2013 (I was brand new to guns and didn't know its value), and not buying a Swiss STG57 in 7.5x55 from GunAuction for $6k. It was in mint condition with a bunch of mags and all of the accessories - just missing the box. I was afraid of taking a plunge that big at the time, but still regret it.

Top Bottom