• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I have an associate that was looking to purchase a lightweight 1911, my recommendation was the Lightweight SR 1911. Well he decided nothing short of a Dan Wesson was going to do it for him, so he went that route. Now he is complaining about recoil. And wonders if there is anything that can be done to reduce perceived recoil? I do have to admit I when I picked up his Guardian it is substantially lighter than my Ruger.

thanks

erasure

komm süßer tod
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2020
    merrrerrrmrerrerverre
    RVUI90g.jpg

Hang some weight off the front.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    fZnuHHmh.jpg

Short of rolling his own (200gr pill on top of 4.7gr of titegroup is nice) there is not much he can do to overcome physics. You want a light 45, you pay for it in recoil. I love my ECO but only ever shoot about 50 rounds at a time through it before it becomes uncomfortable.
    The lightweight compromise has never been worth it for me. I always thought if a gun is too heavy for me, I’ll just stay home with a lap blanket and watch Oprah.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    fZnuHHmh.jpg

Short of rolling his own (200gr pill on top of 4.7gr of titegroup is nice) there is not much he can do to overcome physics. You want a light 45, you pay for it in recoil. I love my ECO but only ever shoot about 50 rounds at a time through it before it becomes uncomfortable.
    Thats kind of what I was thinking. My Ruger seems to be a pretty good balance, while lighter than some it’s still enjoyable at the end of a range session.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    The lightweight compromise has never been worth it for me. I always thought if a gun is too heavy for me, I’ll just stay home with a lap blanket and watch Oprah.
    Were you set up at the Tipton show ?
    I know you are usually in the back room. I was going to ask a couple of the guys back there but never did.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    fZnuHHmh.jpg

Yep, no way to overcome physics. Lighter equals more felt recoil.

200 grain bullet over 4.2 grains of clays is about the minimum to run a compact 1911 with stock springs.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    This is really where a steel Gov Size 1911 shines.
    Even with plus P rounds it is a a joy to shoot, not to mention ease of follow up shots in about the same hole.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    First, tell him to "man up". :):

Second tell him to sell the ultralight and get a full size. My Kimber Stainless II was a dream to shoot.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Were you set up at the Tipton show ?
    I know you are usually in the back room. I was going to ask a couple of the guys back there but never did.
    I usually only do the December show as I usually have a match to attend. Also, I collect the stuff all year long that I bring to the show in Dec.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Short of what's already been said (replace it), practice, practice, practice.
    Have him shoot a smaller .45 (or something else even more punishing) with hot loads LOL.
    When he starts to flinch with it, switch to a 9 or a .22 for a mag or 2.
    Do classes to teach him how shoot to handle recoil.
    Do matches to get him focusing on the timer and the target rather than the recoil.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I have an associate that was looking to purchase a lightweight 1911, my recommendation was the Lightweight SR 1911. Well he decided nothing short of a Dan Wesson was going to do it for him, so he went that route. Now he is complaining about recoil. And wonders if there is anything that can be done to reduce perceived recoil? I do have to admit I when I picked up his Guardian it is substantially lighter than my Ruger.

thanks

It's a ******* hand gun.

Figure it out.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Short of what's already been said (replace it), practice, practice, practice.
    Have him shoot a smaller .45 (or something else even more punishing) with hot loads LOL.
    When he starts to flinch with it, switch to a 9 or a .22 for a mag or 2.
    Do classes to teach him how shoot to handle recoil.
    Do matches to get him focusing on the timer and the target rather than the recoil.
    I have kind of thrown out a few suggestions such as getting a grip exercise and doing several sets a day that was dismissed as that’s not going to help. So I kind of did my part by asking and will leave it lay.

Top Bottom