I hope they restrict crossbows next hunting season.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    They should restric all kinds of weapons since I hunt with my bare hands (sometimes even using a single arm or with my hands handcuffed on my back), other people are cheating. :cool:
    They use guns, bows, knives and spears ... and all kinds of tools. :rolleyes:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Is anyone else not ok with crossbows being opened up to everyone for archery season? I understand how it was before with crossbows for people that could not physically use a regular bow. I think letting capable people use crossbows for the entire archery season is unfair to those that use a regular bow. In my opinion, a crossbow is for size purposes, is not unlike a short barrel rifle/shotgun. Wielding a regular bow takes more open air and more skill. If crossbows are going to be legal for everyone to use I hope that there is at least a different/shorter season for them. I'm sure some of you would say the same thing about my compound, but at least I still have to hold my draw until the proper shot is presented. By the way, I hunt from the ground fully visible to my prey.
    Flame away. :flamethrower:

What does "skill" have to do with archery season? Both are still limited to very short ranges, subject to branches changing arrow flight, etc.

Why should someone shooting a compound bow with 75% let off and fiber optic sights get more season than someone with a long or recurve bow?

Crossbows allow more youth and elderly get in the field for 4 months. That's huge for those who have to shuffle kids during football and basketball seasons. Why are you opposed to us passing on our passion of hunting?

Seems to me those who complain the most are just ticked that their exclusive time in the woods before and after the orange army has to be shared by more people.

xcalibur

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    I believe if you are confident in your bow hunting skills it should not matter. If you enjoy bow hunting don't worry about what the fellow across the holler is hunting with. Just enjoy getting out and being one with the wilderness.
    Or go get you a crossbow for yourself, Ta Dah ------ now your even till gun season.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    I think crossbows are a better fit for firearm season rather than bow season. Most have a scope on them and you pull the triger like a rifle.

That said, im a bow hunter but not one of those guys who think learning how to shoot a modern bow is difficult or magical either.

I tend to just skip past posts about crossbow hunts and kills on the forums, its not my thing.

You know what they say about opinions, and thats mine:)
    :horse:

tightlines

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    West of Indy
    I love INGO. This site provides tons of good information (if you can weed through the bs) but more importantly acts as a great source of entertainment. The fact that adults get so bent out of shape over the most petty topics is funny to me. I personally do not care what anyone hunts with. If you feel that it is more difficult to use a compound bow than a crossbow (or a recurve vs. a compound), good for you. Take pride in the fact that you are taking on a bigger challenge. Personally I am pleased to hear about everyone's adventures in the woods, regardless of your weapon of choice. Let's remember the important aspects of this sport we love, not worry about trivial details.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    if you still have to work to get a deer within 20-40 yards to kill it, what difference does it make? Firearms extend the range out 5-6 times farther.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I guess I don't understand why anyone would care what somebody else uses to hunt deer and during which season. Is it about feeling special for using a compound bow? If you want to do things the hard way then get an atlatl like the natives used.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I guess I don't understand why anyone would care what somebody else uses to hunt deer and during which season. Is it about feeling special for using a compound bow? If you want to do things the hard way then get an atlatl like the natives used.

:+1:

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Gents,

During hunting we are out there to please only one person - ourselves.

At the end of the hunt day if we are satisfied with our hunt...no matter what we hunted with that is all that matters.

What I cant believe is any hunter wanting to "restrict" other legal hunters.. Pretty sad if you ask me.

tightlines

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    West of Indy
    Gents,

During hunting we are out there to please only one person - ourselves.

At the end of the hunt day if we are satisfied with our hunt...no matter what we hunted with that is all that matters.

What I cant believe is any hunter wanting to "restrict" other legal hunters.. Pretty sad if you ask me.

:+1:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    What does "skill" have to do with archery season? Both are still limited to very short ranges, subject to branches changing arrow flight, etc.

Why should someone shooting a compound bow with 75% let off and fiber optic sights get more season than someone with a long or recurve bow?

Crossbows allow more youth and elderly get in the field for 4 months. That's huge for those who have to shuffle kids during football and basketball seasons. Why are you opposed to us passing on our passion of hunting?

Seems to me those who complain the most are just ticked that their exclusive time in the woods before and after the orange army has to be shared by more people.

Tons of people have passed on their passion of hunting, and many kids have gotten into archery.

Of course they had to be able to shoot legal gear of that time and that meant a kinda sorta age group.

But hey, letting 5 yr olds kill big game animals so parents can have that quality time, whatever makes that most convenient.

I don't harvest animals, I kill them. And killing can sometimes be an ugly business. I think kids should wait until they are 12.

What the hell is wrong with working towards a goal and maybe, heaven forbid, earning a right?

Can't wait for camo diapers (Huggies, now with super duper Scent Lock?) so some rube can have his 2 yr old flip the trigger on the X bow in his groundblind.

Hey, another hunter, kids in the sport, it's gotta be a win win!

Last edited:

Merrixs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    North West
    I'll be honest, I have limited time and no property of my own to hunt. Half the reasoning for my opinion is because the hunter(s) that I see around where I go could very well be only there because of a crossbow.
    What would all of you say if they opened up firearms season to start at the same time as archery? I bet you would forget your crossbow and just stick to your firearm.
    I do think that it takes more skill and practice to properly shoot a longbow, recurve, and compound.
    I never said compounds should have a longer season than long or recurves. In fact I would be ok with long then recurves getting a head start.
    I'm not trying to start a movement to get things changed, I'm just voicing an opinion. Take it for what its worth. If you don't agree with it voice your own and leave it at that.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think kids should wait until they are 12.
    Don't disagree with ya often, Hookeye, but I'll have to with ya here. I've been around too many positive experiences with kids hunting under the age of 12 to go along with that one. Of course alot of depends on the individual kid, and their experiences.

Back to the regularly scheduled $%&t storm.:D

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I'll be honest, I have limited time and no property of my own to hunt. Half the reasoning for my opinion is because the hunter(s) that I see around where I go could very well be only there because of a crossbow.
    What would all of you say if they opened up firearms season to start at the same time as archery? I bet you would forget your crossbow and just stick to your firearm.
    I do think that it takes more skill and practice to properly shoot a longbow, recurve, and compound.
    I never said compounds should have a longer season than long or recurves. In fact I would be ok with long then recurves getting a head start.
    I'm not trying to start a movement to get things changed, I'm just voicing an opinion. Take it for what its worth. If you don't agree with it voice your own and leave it at that.

Ah, I understand. You just want to be selfish about public property. Well, you could see about starting a petition for "Merrixs season." You could make it so for one whole month (or whatever) you would be the only person allowed to be on public hunting ground. Essentially that's your complaint. "Cross bows are putting more people out on public ground during my special time and I don't like it." I'm not trying to make this a personal attack on you, but it's a really selfish way of looking at things. Forget those people who get to enjoy archery season because of crossbows, it's an inconvenience for you.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Like it or not, hunting can be a competition against others hunting the same ground or nearby (public or private land) and I have heard quite a few folks wanting an X bow over a regular bow to nail the buck they got on trail cam before the bowhunter next door.

Phrased such that it wasn't about the deer as much as it was outdoing the "other guy".

Making things easier doesn't ensure that only good folks apply for the advantage.

Eh, I pretty much hate everybody, doesn't matter if they own an Xbow or not :)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom