• Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    House bill 1018

Indiana General Assembly - 2014 Session

I really hope this goes thru if i read it correctly itll allow for carry and ownership of anyone on state property(college campus) that arent privately owned so: IU, IUPUI, Purdue, and IUS could not stop carry if this went thru.

Rep. Jim Lucas also has this as well

House bill 1048
    http://iga.in.gov/legislative/2014/bills/house/1048/

Itll reduce the accidently gun free zone charges caused by a school to become a misdemeanor not a felony.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Please un-confuse me here.

Wasn't it just a college "Rule" not wanting guns on their campus?
    If it was already legal to carry on campus, are they now trying to make it super duper legal? :dunno:

Or are they making it so the schools can't make it a their own rule anymore?

I've walked through a few schools out here and never gave it a thought.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    It doesn't sound like that is "college Carry" it sounds more like an extension of the parking lot bill to include school grounds. Note it says "school" not campus

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Please un-confuse me here.

Wasn't it just a college "Rule" not wanting guns on their campus?
    If it was already legal to carry on campus, are they now trying to make it super duper legal? :dunno:

Or are they making it so the schools can't make it a their own rule anymore?

I've walked through a few schools out here and never gave it a thought.
    Bolded the important part above.

This would disallow ANY State Agency (including State Colleges/Universities) from making any policy that is not also state law. Basically, extends the current "preemption" law to cover the State in addition to local government.

This is a GOOD THING and should be supported.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I'd like to see the exceptions it provides for.I also wonder if this will cover employees or just students/visitors.I work nights at a college and I've seen plenty of crazies out here and being allowed to carry would make me feel much more comfortable.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    It doesn't sound like that is "college Carry" it sounds more like an extension of the parking lot bill to include school grounds. Note it says "school" not campus

There are 2 bills, both by Jim Lucas. 1018 includes campus carry and state property carry that is not otherwise illegal by statute and does not include the word "school" in it. 1048 is a clarification of what constitutes a "school function" and reduces the penalty for licensed carry from a felony to misdemeanor. 2 bills, both very good bills, but somewhat different subjects.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Please let this go through I want to be able to carry on camps soooo bad.

If you want it soooo bad... Answer me a question: What have you done to make it happen? Have you picked up a phone? Have you put pen to paper? Have you even rearranged a few electrons to send an email? If you have done any or all of these things, THANK YOU!
    If you have not, I suggest that perhaps you don't want it as badly as you say you do. Want to prove me wrong? I'd be happy for you to do that. Send your reps a note.. Send one to Rep. Thomas Dermody ( h20@iga.in.gov ) as well, as he chairs the committee that will hear those two bills.

There are 2 bills, both by Jim Lucas. 1018 includes campus carry and state property carry that is not otherwise illegal by statute and does not include the word "school" in it. 1048 is a clarification of what constitutes a "school function" and reduces the penalty for licensed carry from a felony to misdemeanor. 2 bills, both very good bills, but somewhat different subjects.

Excellent summary. Thanks, Carmel. :)

Blessings,
    Bill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I have been working with the Student for Concealed Carry chapter here at Indiana State to try and get campus carry. Last fall during our empty holster protest we acquired 1200 signatures from students that agree with allowing students their right to carry. If you get out there and actually talk with students and staff you would be extremely surprised how many people support this. As Bill stated above. Send an email!

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Anyone that can speak on the track record of the public policy committee? Is there a good chance this will end up like last years senate bill and die in committee? Contacting my representatives.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    No, no one can speak on the track record of *this* House Public Policy committee. You see, until this year, the chairman of Public Policy was Bill Davis, who is no longer a member of the House. The new chairman is Rep. Thomas Dermody, who I am told is a strong 2A advocate.

Based on that, I would say the chance of those bills dying in committee is small... especially if he gets 300 letters. Now... let's put that in perspective: INGO has 30,000+ members. Ten percent of our membership writing in would be upwards of 3,000 contacts. ONE percent of our members would be upwards of 300 letters. So... here's the question: Can we get one percent of our membership to write to him about these bills, supporting their passage? Let's find out:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ntatives-about-2014-legislation-you-like.html

Blessings,
    Bill

Anyone that can speak on the track record of the public policy committee? Is there a good chance this will end up like last years senate bill and die in committee? Contacting my representatives.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    We still need a "locked in the vehicle on school property" law.

I am literally disarmed every day because I have to physically go into the school and sign my kids in and out. I can't just "drop off" or "pick up".

Top Bottom