• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I picked up a 1/8th scale (I think) Exceed Mad Beast Nitro monster truck at an auction a couple of weeks ago and after cleaning it up and degumming the fuel system have been out running it around the backyard. Good Fun! The dogs love chasing it around the 3 acre backyard, to the point though I've run into an issue with it and was wondering if anyone can recommend a good forum online to assist in flattening out my learning curve? It was running great with all functions working properly, after killing it due to improperly adjusted throttle position I restarted it, hit the go juice and the only thing that happened is that the engine revved freely but the truck didn't move. Some type of tranny problem it would seem but before digging into it further I want to see if it's even worth pursuing or just write off the cost as a fun 30 minutes in the backyard with the girls. I got it very cheap at auction so I'm not out 4 or 5 hundred dollars if it is toast.

Anonymous

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    Rcuniverse.com may be some help. If your located near Castleton, Hobby Town may be able to help as well. Could be as simple as replacing the clutch set, or a more complicated gear/transmission issue. I'm not familiar with that model. Have you removed the body to see what is, or is not moving?

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Might be as simple as loose bolts/screws and something has slipped out of alignment or it could be your fuel mixture needs adjustment. If it's running way too rich or too lean it may not have enough power to pull itself.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    SIL has a bada$$ RC truck. He hopped it up and has trouble keeping the drive joints in it. He needs to step up to the alloy ones. Might be what you are experiencing.

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    You might have to tighten up the clutch. Can you post a picture of the gear your pinion gear interfaces with?

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    RCuniverse or rcnitrotalk are probably going to be your best bet but the exceed isn't too common to where you can run to hobbytown or IndyRC (fka Indy Slots) and get parts for it. Could be transmission (in these things all aluminum gears isn't always the best), could just be clutch/clutch shoes, could be spur gear or the spur gear may have stripped from being too tight or too loose. If you took the motor out or the bolts weren't tight enough or gear mesh wasn't set right to begin with it will strip out the spur. Something like a spur gear is usually easy enough to find another brand to fit. I raced 1/8th offroad nitro buggy, truggy, 1/8th ebuggy, 1/10 4wd mod buggy and 1/12th carpet on road. And yes, as nerdy as it sounds I raced in national events in TX, CA, MO and all throughout the midwest, so I have a bit of time and whole lot of money in playing with these things. Check the mesh first, check tightness out the engine mounts, use loctite (blue) everywhere (almost). Hell it could even just be clutch bearings, without seeing it, it's hard to say for sure.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    All good info guys, thanks I'll dig in a liitle more this evening. Not knowing correct terminology; the input gear to the trans is turning but I can't tell if the shaft is so perhaps just tightening the spring going into it. I'll get a pic up this evening. I'm pretty sure the carb is close as it revs to no end possibly to detonation if I push it that far. It looks like I may just develop another bad/expensive habit with this thing!

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Yeah it was working fine, having now looked at it a little further the input shaft into the trans is definitely turning but nothings happening on the output side so something must have let go internally. I guess I'll pull the trans out and take a look inside when I have time, damn it was fun while it lasted, unfortunately my spare time for the next two weeks is extremely limited.

MDave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 1, 2009
    Rcuniverse.com may be some help. If your located near Castleton, Hobby Town may be able to help as well. Could be as simple as replacing the clutch set, or a more complicated gear/transmission issue. I'm not familiar with that model. Have you removed the body to see what is, or is not moving?

+1 on RCUNIVERSE.COM

Blown71X

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    Boone County
    And another + for RCUNIVERSE.COM

My Nitro toy floats and trust me they`re worse LOL

I had a coupler let loose a week ago while in Canada and my 40 dollar prop and 20 dollar driveshaft are somewhere on the bottom, covered in 80 feet of water :rolleyes:

Rick

Top Bottom