I Just bought some 147 gn HST in 9mm.......

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    I just bought some 147 gn HST in 9mm. I am wondering what your opinions are. (Yes I am starting this mess and no I do not think that the person receiving these rounds would notice the difference) Links would help.:ar15::popcorn:

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    I know...but...... I do love to rake through those threads referencing FBI and gelatin tests.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I never did like those FBI tests. You have to remember that FBI agents may sometimes have to shoot through cars or similar objects. In a self defense situation you have to worry about winter time with a guy and multiple layers. You want excellent expansion over excellent penetration. But on the other side, I'm sure whoever would receive those would not feel to good after the fact of 147 gr going into them. Those FBI tests aren't something I really take to heart.:twocents:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    After reading some similar tests...I went with the Winchester 147 SXT's. Pretty much the same thing.

My thinking: High mass (for a 9mm) and good expansion properties. Like was said by jmiller, the FBI tests aren't always perfect comparisons to the SD situation we might have to deal with. But it is hard to argue with mass and expansion when it comes to a SD round. That's why a lot of folks recommend using a .45ACP JHP round or even 00 buck from a shotty for SD.

Top Bottom