• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Over my time driving, I have learned a lot about deer. Some are very much inclined to avoid anything to do with humans. Some require that you roll the window down and yell at them to get out of the road. One time, that didn't work and I had to get out and shoo them out of the road on foot. Today, I had a young buck that decided to run away from me along the front of a field such that he was running parallel to the road the same direction I was driving. I knew that they are fast, but now I know that according to my observation, a young buck can run approximately 35 miles per hour.

Hawkwind2112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2014
    Evansville
    We had a deer stand on the side berm at Red Brush Rifle Range eating for well over an hour while we shot a bowling pin match last Thursday. The gunfire did not bother it whatsoever. Someone eventually scared it off by running downrange towards it.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    They are remarkable, endearing, sentient beings. But when my family and I are hungry, they will be dinner.

(Sorry Dave).

Nothing to be sorry for! They are a prey species--consequently there is no reason why they shouldn't be dinner.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Incredible animals. I had one run along side my car while I was driving down US 41 near Lowell a few years back. It was dark and as I approached the red light at Route 2, I noticed a deer in the ditch between the 2 directions of traffic. As I slowed for the light it spooked and ran parallel along my passenger side for a few strides, then it decided to leap right over the car. Cleared the roof and landed on my drivers side, never touched the car, just kept on going. Amazing.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I have a deer that comes to my back door every day and stares inside until I bring it a cup of feed corn. I stand or sit about five feet away while she eats.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    A buddy of mine lives on a farm with a pond, fruit trees and a big woods close to the house and has had a doe bring her fawns up to the house every year for 5 or 6 years and they feed her by hand and even put a orange dog collar on the big doe and she has had it on now about 4 years, the big fawn would let them pet her after the first year she started coming around... He hunts but not around his house and told all his neighbors about this doe and nobody has shot her yet.. Its weird to see deer feeding out in the corn field next to the woods and there she is out there with the rest with that collar on.. lol , kind of cool really.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    We have recently relocated to Indiana.
    In years gone by our back yard behind the quiltatorium was an animal safety zone. When friends said why worry about a place to hunt when I was surrounded my response was "You don't understand. They have names."
    There was a doe that brought her kids to the yard between the barn and the house. One was a bounce off the walls kid and the other real laid back. Once they got big she was trying to wean them. One day we were watching out the back windows and the rambunctious one cast a look over to the laid back one laying in the grass. There was an agreement. They converged on mama from both sides to pin her so they could get milk. It was a hilarious moment to see!

Top Bottom