• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wpmason

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    So I went out and got one of my own.

Stopped in a local convenience store tonight, made my purchase and left. Before driving away, I went back inside to engage a Mooresville Police officer in conversation. I asked him about concealed carry etiquette with LEO's, and he was very friendly and chatty. I do not currently have my LTCH, but he said that he'd encourage everyone to get one, and told me based on my age to get my lifetime LTCH ASAP. He also noted that he's "never seen a 6' .45 walk in and rob someplace", and generally seemed completely against all of the currently debated gun control proposals. It was a nice little chat, and I'm glad that there are still some reasonable authority figures around.

The thing that stood out the most was when he said "When I stop someone, I'd prefer if they told me they're armed, but I usually don't even take their gun. If they've got their permit, they're not the people I need to be worrying about."

I've decided I'm going to start initiating these conversations every chance I get from now on. It's interesting to get their take on things, and I want to be a good citizen in every way, which means knowing my rights, as well as being compliant with the authorities when they're within their rights.

Pyriel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Carmel
    This is a very interesting post, I can't recall any thread that I've read where an individual went out of their way to engage a LEO in conversation about firearms. I myself tend to avoid unnecessary LEO encounters, aside from my IMPD friend whom I've know most of my life.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is a very interesting post, I can't recall any thread that I've read where an individual went out of their way to engage a LEO in conversation about firearms. I myself tend to avoid unnecessary LEO encounters, aside from my IMPD friend whom I've know most of my life.

I have some buddys that are LEO. I will speak to them about guns/ammo etc. but not one I do not know personally. I have no trust in LE these days.

marcum man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 20, 2012
    Bourbon
    I was thinking the same thing, I'm going to rep the op for this, but please remember that the way the officer conversed with you will not likely happen all the time.

Op was the Leo an older or younger man?

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Very cool, OP. Even before I was a LEO, i conversed with quite a few over guns/ammo and never had an issue. I wouldn't engage one while they are on a call. But, there are a bunch of opportunities to talk to one. I found on INGO member and talked to him while I was on break at a gas station and we chatted it up for awhile.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    You'd be surprised how many are decent people. I too engage LEO when I see them. Not necessarily to ask about guns or ammo, but to say good morning, how ya doing.
    It was nice when I needed one at the house last week to file a theft report. he pulled up and it is an officer I engage every morning when I see him at the gas station. Was able to sit and **** chat with him while he wrote the report out.

Shade Tree

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Across from the Corn Field
    Not a recent story necessarily. I have friends and family that are LEO. I used to work for Kustom Signals (an electronics company that manufacturers and sells equipment for LEO use) when I lived in Kansas.

99.99% of the people I spoke and dealt with are decent, upstanding people. Just like any group, there are some that fall outside that circle. But most are good guys.

Now with that said, if you take it upon yourself to provoke somebody who carries a gun AND a badge, then you do so at your own peril. FWIW

Shade Tree

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I know a few people that are LE including a police chief and not all them are open to talk about firearms, just like someone has mention before some LE are not gun enthusiasts and I respect that. Generally I only talk firearms with people that I know for sure that they are ok with them or talking about them otherwise is best no to bring unnecessary attention to myself, on the positive side the times that I have had been pulled over because a traffic violation and I follow the advice of the LE that I know (be polite, inform them you have a firearm, lower my windows so they can see inside of my car, follow direction without arguing and comunicate with respect). I can only say that most of the time I been treated more than fair and I respect them.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Remember LEO's are just ordinary people with a job in Law enforcement.

Most I have met, are pretty nice guys. For several years before his passing a local Captain and his wife were my wife and my best friends - sadly he passed away after shortly after retiring. My nephew is also a long time LEO, as was my FIL.

A few years ago, a uniformed off duty Lafayette LEO was in a gun shop in that city while I was looking at the wares. We got into a discussion, he looked at my Colt 45, and showed me his duty weapon (9mm Glock). We discussed the various merits of the handguns.

He finally stated "If I had my choice, I would be carrying your gun on duty. As it were the Dept required all carry the Glock 9's. He then said he wasn't restricted as to his "Backup weapon" had showed me his .357 - then said "this is really my primary, I have to carry the 9, but I sure prefer the .357 or 45.

We had a lengthy and enjoyable conversation that day. Happy that he and many like him are on Duty.

In Frankfort we are blessed with a very personable and intelligent Police Chief. When I applied for my FFL-03, I needed to get the proper information for the CLEO on the form. I went to the station, spoke to the Clerk, She tried to get the information I needed - the Chief was in his office and came out to the lobby to meet me. He said this was the first application for the Collectors license he had seen. We had a brief chat and he looked over the form, actually filled in the information himself.

I gave him his copy (which he said was the first one in the station, really didn't know what to do with it), - then we got into a discussion about collecting firearms. He is a fairly young man with a growing family and said he would like to collect, but right now could not afford to due to his family expenses.

Really enjoyed talking with him and didn't expect all the help filling out the form, appreciated it tremendously.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

I tend to try to thank ALL people I see in uniform (military, police, firefighters) for their service. I don't think enough of that is done today.

My favorite one was right here on campus. A young ROTC fella (very handsome chap) was standing across the street waiting for the bus. Two VERY cute coeds were standing behind him, looking him over.

I walked right up, extended my hand, and thanked him for his service. he was a tad embarrassed, but he thanked me. I stated that we need more brave young folks like him, then I looked at the two gals, and said "don't you agree ladies?" They came up and agreed, and started chatting with him. I walked off..heading for my destination....I glanced back a few minutes later and saw the bus arrive...but he didn't bother to get on it, he was too busy chatting. :)

I guess this stems from my time with PGR.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I've got one too. I was an idiot on Post road and missed a school zone sign but when I realized where I was I slammed on the brakes. Too late unfortunately. I got pulled over for speeding (Maybe 10 over). IMPD officer was very nice, asked me if I knew what I was doing, I admitted I missed the sign but slammed on the brakes when I realized what I had done. Long story short, we ended up talking about Macs and he asked if I was carrying (my LTCH was the next card in my wallet behind license) and I said I was not. He reminded me to let the officer know if I was carrying in the future. He then reminded me to slow down and sent me on my way.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I've got one too. I was an idiot on Post road and missed a school zone sign but when I realized where I was I slammed on the brakes. Too late unfortunately. I got pulled over for speeding (Maybe 10 over). IMPD officer was very nice, asked me if I knew what I was doing, I admitted I missed the sign but slammed on the brakes when I realized what I had done. Long story short, we ended up talking about Macs and he asked if I was carrying (my LTCH was the next card in my wallet behind license) and I said I was not. He reminded me to let the officer know if I was carrying in the future. He then reminded me to slow down and sent me on my way.

And the thread was going so well.

Pyriel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Carmel
    And the thread was going so well.

:laugh: lets get it back on track then

I have posted my few most recent interactions with LEO's here on INGO, each one of them was me getting stopped for whatever reason, but all ended on a relatively positive note. I don't have anything against them in the least bit, heck the last time I got pulled over the officer ended up giving me directions to Beech Grove Firearms and told me about how he wanted to check out the new range. I know that a healthy percentage of LEO's are average respectable people, but I don't want to go out of my way to talk to one and run into office Dick (Unless that's their actual name) that can really put a damper on the day.

Joq867

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Brooksville
    Anytime I have pulled over it was for a just cause, many times if you are pleasant and don't get crabby because you got caught, I have gotten warnings or a citation for something minor, instead of the outrageous speeding fine, or whatever it was.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    You should know on INGO by putting this in, "He reminded me to let the officer know if I was carrying in the future." you were just asking for trouble. There are those just waiting in the wings to jump on something like that.

Well, I wasn't carrying (I tend not to carry during the workweek as I deal with a bunch of schools). I didn't even say it.

Heck, he let me off with a warning and I gave him my business card if he ever needed Mac support. I even showed him on Apple's webstore where to buy a refurbished Mac and save $$$.

People can jump on me all they want, I have thick skin.

fastang50

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Had a good interaction a couple weeks back, Indy PD, I was exceeding the posted limit a bit but wasn't aware (honestly, don't go up there much). Pulled me over, I chose to hand my pink over with my DL, he asked if I was carrying, "yes, located X", NBD, asked me to slow down a bit. That was all.

TheReaper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Southeastern IN
    So I went out and got one of my own.

Stopped in a local convenience store tonight, made my purchase and left. Before driving away, I went back inside to engage a Mooresville Police officer in conversation. I asked him about concealed carry etiquette with LEO's, and he was very friendly and chatty. I do not currently have my LTCH, but he said that he'd encourage everyone to get one, and told me based on my age to get my lifetime LTCH ASAP. He also noted that he's "never seen a 6' .45 walk in and rob someplace", and generally seemed completely against all of the currently debated gun control proposals. It was a nice little chat, and I'm glad that there are still some reasonable authority figures around.

The thing that stood out the most was when he said "When I stop someone, I'd prefer if they told me they're armed, but I usually don't even take their gun. If they've got their permit, they're not the people I need to be worrying about."

I've decided I'm going to start initiating these conversations every chance I get from now on. It's interesting to get their take on things, and I want to be a good citizen in every way, which means knowing my rights, as well as being compliant with the authorities when they're within their rights.

Now wait a minute, I don't know how this could be true. Some of the whack jobs on this forum had a thead going a while back about how dangerous consentual encounters with police were, so....this just can't be true! He didn't ask to search you or go right into curb stomping you? This can't be true, because on INGO's, all police are criminals....right?

Top Bottom