• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Interesting video that I've begun to follow for gardening tips...

[video=youtube;AxfHwh7FRKU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxfHwh7FRKU[/video]

Jones1776

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 29, 2020
    fort wayne
    Good video it would diffently be a challenge to source 100% of your food. Its always funny when you hear people say I would just hunt and fish if shtf. I always respond that you should try it for a week and see how it goes

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Good video it would diffently be a challenge to source 100% of your food. Its always funny when you hear people say I would just hunt and fish if shtf. I always respond that you should try it for a week and see how it goes

If people had to skin an animal in order to prep it for a meal, they would just turn vegetarian.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've wondered about preservation of meat without refrigeration, using things like salt and sugar. Two items along with flour that I keep in large supply. Lime is another one.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I've wondered about preservation of meat without refrigeration, using things like salt and sugar. Two items along with flour that I keep in large supply. Lime is another one.

In David Crockett's autobiography he talks about killing and salting bears and leaving them up in trees to dry while he went out to hunt and kill more bears. Biltong, beef jerky...tried and true long term storage solutions.

Irukanji

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    SW Indiana
    LOL, and how do they think the will preserve and store it. Also, the rest of the world will be hunting and fishing too, how do you not have your bounty stolen from you?

I still put a couple of does in the freezer each year and butchering it is very time consuming as most of you know. Even small game takes time to prepare and cook.

If SHTF happens a lot of people will be shocked and disappointed for a couple of weeks before they starve... sadly.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana

It's that whole "Country Boy Can Survive" thing...
    And they never take into consideration that *IF* SHTF happens, EVERYONE ELSE would be out there too!
    Nothing like 60 people expecting to hunt the same acre of land... :rolleyes:

Then there are the types that would kill a deer in summer with no fridge.

I was in famine zones in the military, no dogs, no cats and a few VERY FAST rats...

Then there is the preservation if you intend to live through winter.
    There is a reason late winter/early spring was called "The Starving Time".

While a big 'Gun' collection/accumulation might be 'Cool', but you can't eat bullets.
    Big processing/canning/persevering equipment collection, including root cellar, will impress me more.

We home preserve most of what we eat because we get exactly what we want that way.
    You don't 'Save' any money, and it's a lot more work...
    If push came to shove, the spices & seasoning might have to stop, but we would still eat.

SKILLS!
    The welder with rods and power source will never go hungry.
    The carpenter that can do good, solid work will never go hungry.

I read a bunch of the historical journals of settlers going west in the 1700s/1800s,
    When they left the east, the rich man with money did well, was a commanding force.

After they crossed the Ohio River in the 1700s, or the Mississippi River in the 1800s, it completely flipped.
    Once you get past where you can BUY work done, you have to do it yourself, they were pretty much helpless...
    Money didn't mean much, particularly money issued by a bank 1,500 miles away.

The wheel right, wood right, general carpenter, cooper, smiths were worth gold, literally!
    A general metal wright/blacksmith could name his price.

If you *Think* you are 'Prepared' and you can't name every weed, plant, tree and know what every one can be used for... You aren't 'Prepared'.
    If you can't turn a car alternator into a welder/generator, and build a basic battery, you aren't 'Prepared'.
    If you can't build basic electrical circuits, cut metal manually, saw/shape wood manually, you aren't 'Prepared'.

I can't get it through a lot of heads, but if you don't have good, sold, basic tools (not 'China' junk), you are just screwed.
    Tools make EVERYTHING this side of rocks & sticks and if they aren't quality, or you can't sharpen/adjust them, you are screwed.

I saw a guy that called himself a 'Survival Expert' (we call ourselves homesteaders) and said there wasn't ANYTHING you couldn't make with an axe & knife...
    I ask how he dug holes, like a well, and got that blank, mouth open look...
    I even have an axe & shovel on the Jeep, the original 'Pioneer Tools', and called that for a reason!

Humans, by nature, are lazy about work...
    They usually do ONLY what gets them by.
    Funny how much you can get done when you put the hours into it! ;)

If you doubt me, ask around how much got done during the COVID shut down...
    Everyone complained endlessly, but didn't accomplish much with that time.
    Things as simple as cleaning out a 'Junk Room' or garage didn't get done, too 'Busy' complaining and breaking quarantine...

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    That's why we study this sort of thing, right?

Gent in the vid is not a true survivalist, but he does have some good ideas and a couple of hidden jewels.

I've never made green garlic powder before this year...

20200621-205918.jpg

It just turned some raw zucchini into an edible snack. ;) Who knows what it did to run off skeeters and improve my libido?

Nevermore

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2018
    Somewhere
    One of the best ways of really getting a good look at the difficulty of feeding yourself as well as you are now is looking at the macronutrients and calories in foods vs the effort to attain. I remember thinking having 100 chickens would make me richer than Trump if SHTF, until you count up how much meat that really ends up being and how many calories it brings, particularly if I don't have a feed store available meaning I have to do a lot more work to move tractors around etc to feed them regularly.

Top Bottom