• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChrisBarnes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Greenfield/Cumberland area
    My father-in-law just surprised me today and I have to share it with everyone. He was telling me of a story at the range today. He stated that when he was a child his Grandmother gave him a .22 rifle. I asked him when we got home to show it to me. When we got there he pulled from the back of his closet a Remington Model 12-A rifle. It was in Great condition and I asked if it still fired. He stated that about 20 years ago the firing pin broke. I told him to let me bring it home and I would find out info on it and see if I can get the parts to repair it. Well as I am sure most of you know the Model 12 was about the most popular they made and lots of parts are available. I then wanted to find the build date and that is what made me smile from ear to ear like a kid on Christmas morning. It was built in November of 1928. I have in my hands a rifle that is 84 years and 3 months old a true piece of history. This is why I love my passion and will never stop looking for treasures. I cannot wait till the part arrives and I get to shot a piece of HISTORY. Just had to share my smile to you all.

55103e93-5bc8-45ba-995f-a05d491fd789.jpg

09edd1e8-5ce2-4d50-bce4-6eb28d2fca0c.jpg

b765e0c7-b5c6-4a5e-86e1-db77517407ee.jpg

UPDATE: Just talked to my Father-in-law and told him the info I have found out about this rifle. He had no idea it was that old. I also had time last night to break it down and find the broken parts. I have ordered them and expect them in 3-5 business days. I cannot wait to get it fixed and back in his hands to shoot once again like he did so many years ago.

Last edited:

Indianabuster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    That's awesome, really what makes firearms so special for decades and longer.

This past summer my father in law gave me his father's old lever action 12 gauge (i didn't know they existed). I was amazed at how great of condition it was (is) in. After research it turned out to be a Winchester 1887 manufactured in 1891! The gun overall if in amazing shape other than a little pitting in the barrel. I'm thinking about taking it out and shooting it this summer after i get some black powder 12g shells. I'll hold on to this one for the rest of my life (and then my son will).

chickenman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Monroe County
    My dad last fall gave me my grand fathers rifle he used in the depression to feed the family. It is Springfield model 83. Still shoots. It just a 22 single shot bolt action. But pretty cool to me. Honored to have in my safe. It shoots long and shorts. Looking forward to get it out this summer or next and see my daughter shoot it. Family treasures are pretty cool. :ingo:

ChrisBarnes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Greenfield/Cumberland area
    Pretty cool. I bet you will make his day when he gets to fire it again.

He was already excited at the thought of it being repaired. He was smiling and the stories were flying. He stated that back as a teen he could shoot the eye out of a squirrel. He also told a story about a time in Florida at a festival shoot gallery winning a big bear. He said that the gallery had the Remington 12-A as the rifle you used to hit the moving targets. He went 5 for 5 on the smallest one to win a giant teddy bear for my mother-in-law. I agree I cannot wait to get it shooting so I can fire history and he can remember more GREAT times.

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    What a great story, thanks for sharing. I have a few guns my 94 year old father gave me that where his. I also have a few that belonged to my wife's late grandfather. They have the best stories behind them.

Hjarnett

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Denver,in
    I love it when guns get handed down from family I have my grandfathers 1939 winchester model 67 it still shoots great my oldest daughter 12 loves to shoot it

Terry A

Marksman
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    NWI
    I am 70 years old and my Father gave me a Model 12 Remington hexagon barrel .22 his Father bought new, my Dad said his Dad paid $11.50 for it new and my Grandmother almost left him because he paid so much for it. It has a better trigger than any newer .22 and is solid and still shoots great today.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    My dad last fall gave me my grand fathers rifle he used in the depression to feed the family.
    Love this thread!

My family has a similar story, of my great-grandfather in rural Iowa. My great-grandmother would give him 3 .22 rounds in the morning and say, "Go get dinner." :) Talk about pressure! Gotta make every shot count.

My dad once saw him use that .22 rifle to hit a rabbit that was on the run. My dad still has that rifle.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I have my grandfather's single-shot Remington .22 that my dad learned to shoot with. Unfortunately, my dad SOLD his Remington semi-auto rifle that he got as a teenager. Didn't ask me first.... just sold it to a buddy at the office. :(

At least my daughter will get to learn on her great-grandfather's old rifle! Then, she can pass it down eventually as well. I'll surely never sell it.

Thanks for sharing the story, OP!

D.T.O.M.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    martinsville
    Neat old gun just goes to show that there are still cool old guns tucked away in closets or wherever
    Just waiting to be rediscovered & enjoyed by another
    Gun lover !

Top Bottom