• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Yep that's right folks, got it in the mail today!
    I dropped it off at the City of Lafayette on April 13. They sent it to the state on April 18. And I got the permit today, June 5.
    I'm so stoked that its finally here. I have my glock 22 that I'm considering carrying, but also thinking about something a little smaller (glock 23 or 27) for a full time carry piece.

I have a question though. Do you think that people look differently at younger people that choose to carry? I'm just about 25, and look the part, and I'm debating OC and CC, not really for any fact other than people seeing a younger person carrying and having problems with it. I know if I CC most people wont even know, but when OCing at my age I think it could cause people around me more discomfort. I don't know, just something I've been thinking about, let me hear your thoughts.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Define "look the part". Do you mean you look your age?

I hope this thread doesnt turn into yet another debate but, I think you should carry how you are comfortable. When I was your age (sigh) I had several friends that carried. Yes, when people noticed and we had trouble (like being kicked out of Red Lobster) I couldn't help but wonder if our group had been a bunch of senior citizens, would we have r'cvd better treatment.

I say try OC if that is what you want, be prepared for what could happen, and deal with it politely so you can educate the masses that we aren't thugs, we are the good guys!

Oh, and congrats! I just got my LTCH a couple weeks ago, and it feels great!

ElkhartGunner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Eklhart
    Im 28 and never get any looks when I OC. I usually CC, but with the weather getting warmer, I hate to wear longer shirts.. I OC on my motorcycle and get some looks, but then I just pull the throttle and 2 seconds later, they're out of my sight.

kyle1058

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2009
    Noble County
    This is my first post on ingunowners.com , and I applied for my carry permit on june 2nd, 2009. I am 20 years old (21 in august), and I never even considered the age thing. Mostly because I planned on conceal carry, but moreso because I was completely unaware of the open carry laws in indiana.

I got an excellent deal on a Hi-Point 9mm and a fobus holster with a box of ammo, and until I save up to buy a better weapon, the Hi-Point fits the bill for me. I know all the good things and of course the bad of the hi-point, but when i pull the trigger it goes bang every time.

To answer your question, I'm not really sure what people think about younger people carrying. I suppose if i were to even consider open carry i would get a holster with a retension strap. Congrats on getting your permit! I have another 7 or 8 weeks to wait i suppose.

Passive101

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    La Porte
    There are many cops who have been or are under 21 years of age. I don't see much outcry that soldiers have handguns, rifles, shotguns, machine guns, and vehicles being under 21 as well.

I think you'll be fine ;)

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I'm 29, but I look 23, and have never had an issue with open carrying. It may be that I look the part, generally dressing modestly, and having a military appearance and bearing. It may also help that I have my wife or kids (or both) with me most of the time.
    One of my friends is a Mishawaka police officer who OCs most of the time when he's off duty, and he looks like he's about 14.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I am 21, while I have yet to have a real problem, Believe me, that shirt tail comes up a little and I know it cuz everyones eyes get real big and they start to kinda scurrie =) I'm usually not in any one area real long but I could see the MPD out there chasing gun calls as I make my way aorund town. I havn't seen any one though.
    only place I open carrie really is to the "arab" station by my house and they don't seem phased by it at all.
    "I'm not sure that I fit the gun carrying "image" though I wrench and work construction on the side so I'm not always the cleanest fellow, the guns clean though=)~

Top Bottom