• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    So I went down to LCC today with my roommate, both of us with our newly acquired shotguns in hand. There were a couple guys there doing some work, so they showed us how to use the throwers, and away we went. It was so much fun, first time I've shot a shotgun, and shot clays. I had a couple perfect rounds, but was probably avg about 75%. I am going again tomorrow (well today I guess, Sat) or Sunday. I can't wait, I think I may have a new addiction!

...Well acutally I don't think it was official trap, but sporting clays. We were on a stand (10 ft maybe) and there was a thrower under us, and above/behind us. None the less it was a lot of fun!

kwalls

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2009
    Bargersville
    I work in the Ag business and last week we all took off for friday afternoon to go shooting. We took about 18 guys down the the new atterbury range near edinburgh and shot at the rifle range and also shot trap and skeet both at the shotgun range. We all had a blast down there. The employees at the shotgun range were EXTREMELY helpful. Our group had a few people who had never shot skeet or trap and they really learned great gun saftey and the basics of trap and skeet. I definitly would go back anyday!
    -Kyle

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    That just sounds like a good time breaking clays.

Wait until you get on a skeet range!! That's about the most fun you can have with a shotgun (IMO).

As for classes, I don't know of any. Maybe check around at some conservation clubs. Some serious skeet/trap shooters have a bit of an antisocial/elitist reputation, but the vast majority of those that I've ever shot with have been extremely helpful to me, giving me tips and helping me to learn to shoot well.

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    Absolutely.....there's just something about leading a clay a bit, squessing the trigger and watching it turn to powder. :D

Can't wait to go do it again :ingo:

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    very addicting that for sure! I use to pretty much live at the local Izaac Walton league and shoot tons of clay birds. just now starting to get back into it. need to go get my membership so I can stop shooting clays that are thrown by hand:rolleyes:

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Yea I havent done skeet yet, but here its a riot. Boilers, as far as a class, just get out and do it. It really LOOKS harder than it is.

After that first day I shot about 6 rounds in the next 2 days. So much fun!

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    trap

I work in the Ag business and last week we all took off for friday afternoon to go shooting. We took about 18 guys down the the new atterbury range near edinburgh and shot at the rifle range and also shot trap and skeet both at the shotgun range. We all had a blast down there. The employees at the shotgun range were EXTREMELY helpful. Our group had a few people who had never shot skeet or trap and they really learned great gun saftey and the basics of trap and skeet. I definitly would go back anyday!
    -Kyle
    i am sure when josh gets his gun fixed he will be ready to give you another lesson kyle.:laugh:

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    -Kyle

I'll tell my branch manager you need to invite us next year.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    MFG and 5 Point CC both have trap nights each week. 5 Point CC is on Thursday evenings 18:00 to 21:00, try to arrive as close to 18:00 as possible as the flights fill up pretty fast. Not sure on MFG but they have more lanes, better lighting, and probably a better chance to shoot several rounds.

kwalls

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2009
    Bargersville
    there is an old guy at the atterbury range that is extreemly good at teaching people and would recomend him to anyone of any age

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I may have encountered this gentleman yesterday. I took my new 870 and a friend with nearly zero firearms experience down to shoot some clays. I'd only shot clays from a cheap walmart thrower before this, so I had no concept of organized trap or skeet rounds. All of the fields but one were reserved for a trap league, and the remaining one was set up for skeet, so that's where we went. The guy at the counter had gone through the basics of scoring and rotation with us before we headed out, but having no experience it all sounded foreign to me. Seeing that we still seemed lost, the guy from the counter came out and introduced us to a man named Bob who would be happy to shoot with us and show us the ropes. Bob is an older gentleman with what appeared to be faded Navy tattoos on his fore arms. He showed great patience with us rookies and an amazing ability to teach. We would have been lost without him.

+1 for the staff at Atterbury and
    :patriot: for Bob.

Benjamin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    If you really want to learn to shoot trap there is a guy named Leo Harrison III. He is the best in the world in my opinion. I've seen him run hundreds of targets straight in shoot offs. He travels the country shooting and teaching clinics. He shoots a high grade krieghoff K80 that's probably worth 30k+ which I'm sure was given to him. He is the best I've ever seen. His clinics are expensive but he can teach you how to shoot like a champion.

Root

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    FYI for those that go to Huntington. They have a nice thrower for their trap range. Talking with the RO the other day I learned that their skeet range is under construction. Plans are to have high house and a low house finished by the fall but he insisted there were no guarantees. So don't forget your shotguns!

Slim7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Fishers
    Anybody gone to the Indiana Gun Club near Geist. Keep wanting to try it out. Seems like when it's open it's packed and when it's not packed it's closed. I amy be missing something there. Are reservations required?

Benjamin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    Reservations are not required. It's a huge club with about 20+ traps and a few skeet houses. The Indiana State Shoot is next week and I will be there along with literally a few thousand other people. That is a fun time to come. You can shoot practice during the state program on the practice trap. You could also join the ATA (shootata.com) and shoot in the state shoot. You might also drop by on a week day and shoot a practice. They don't throw particularly good practice targets and the background is terrible and the state shoot is moving because the surrounding neighborhood is pushing them out, but it's still a lot of fun and worth visiting!

Top Bottom